Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does your doctor say about drinking coke?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What does your doctor say about drinking coke?

• No problem, drink it if you want to.
    • If you have to drink it, drink it flat.
    • Don't drink it at all, its bad for you.

My surgeon said no on carbonation but I do occaisionally have a diet pop on ice. I generally pay for it with a big stomach ache and lots of additional gas... but hey... sometimes a girl just needs a little fizzzzz.

oh my gosh fitter i sneeze all the time - allergies and all and big sneezes too - and i have wondered about that slipping the band - do you really think it could. My doc - ortiz - at first said NO CARBONATION FOR LIFE. Recently on his webiste (lapbandforum.com) he revised that to say:

no carbonation for 6 months after surgery

after 6 months best to avoid becuz no nutritional value (nothing about slippage or hurtng the band)

a freind of mine gets terrible stomach aches if shed drinks carbonated beverages to for me, i'm gonna try to stay off of them because i weaned myself already and like most things, i was insane over them - esp orange diet soda - sometimes i would drink over 1 gallon a day of that - totally addicting.

I haven't had a Coke, but I confess I had a few sips of champagne a couple of weeks ago. I had a gas pain in my rib cage within 5 minutes, and it lasted 2-3 hours. I'll drink still wine from now on!

My doctor said no carbination! Oh how I miss my occasional beer, ginger ale, or pepsi. I can't imagine enjoying any of them "flat"!!!!

Roberta

Coke is bad, m'kay?

carbonation is bad because it can cause air to get trapped and can cause a miriade of awful things to happen.

the sugar in regular cokes, and the sodium in regular an diet cokes are REALLY bad for you.

basically I live off of Water now...an on saturdays i pickle the hell out of my liver with straight scotch. but no more coke, or sprite (god i miss my sprite)

UMMMMMMMM Funny,

I'm sipping on a diet sprite right this minute. We've been riding 4 wheelers for the last 4 hours and I came in and fixed dh one and I took it away from him. LOL

I'm glad Dr. Curry says they are okay. I've not had over 3 oz. at a time and about 4 times since banding. No problems at all.

Mine said there's no documented proof of pouch dilation (aka slippage) but some docs think a good burp could slip the band. He also suggested giving up sneezing, which is worse than a good burp.

I will gladly give up sneezing if you have a cure for that! :P

I'm done for if sneezing hurts you. The minute I go outdoors I sneeze from the sunlight...have done it all my life. I hope this is little truth to this. I think people are getting carried away with what they think causes band slippage...from burps to sneezes...I don't buy either one.

Everytime I drink something carbonated, I hiccup so much it hurts! I can't stand even a sip and my doc said that no soda was BEST! Its just not good for you and can cause the band to slip and the pouch to stretch because of the released gasses.

Luckily I gave up carbonated drinks long ago.

First I gave up Coke in the 70's and then later I realized I became a Diet Coke addict during college.

EEK! I went through several a day.:faint:

So in the last few years I'd have maybe 1 or 2 half servings of Diet Coke a year.

And since banding?

Totally unappealing - it means a ton of burping.

{I'm no extremist about these sorts of things. For example, on the other hand, I like a bit of Champagne and even a Mimosa is delicious.:D }

If you call Inamed they will tell you that drinking soda will NOT cause band slippage or erosion. Don't know where these crazy stories came from....

I only have a root beer if I'm having a float and that is not often now!

I took a sip of what I thought was my hubby TEA 2 days ago and it was Dr. Pepper and OMG (gosh) it burned! Also I had an instant pain in my chest and several painful burps!

Does this happen to ya'll? Maybe it's just cause its been a long time for me?

Nana~

My doctor says no carbonation ever. I gave up my Diet Coke and I am okay with that. But sometimes I just want to grab a really cold drink and pop the can open so I have substituted Minute Maid Light Lemonade. It has no carbonation and only has 5 calories. I have rather enjoyed them.

Hope

Hello all,

My Dr said the problem with soda is that the carbonation expands the pouch, also, caffeine stimulates your appetite.

Hey Nana,

I know exactly what you are talking about. I completely gave up soda when I went on my pre-op diet. However, a member of my local bandsters group had suggested I drink a small sip of coke when I get stuck. Well, it works for me, I take one small sip and up comes the huge burp and anything that was left in my stomach. I would be terrified to drink it if I wasn't stuck for fear of the same thing happening, which would be lovely if we were out to dinner or something.