Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Random Questions I Can't Find The Answers To

Only three questions:

1. By the time you are able to start working out is it hard for you to stay hydrated? If you start to sweat or are really thirsty are you able to drink Water well enough and a large enough amount to feel better?

2. Do you tell all of your doctors you have the sleeve? Example dentists, obgyn, etc. At my dentist office they ask your medical history and update it every so often but I don't want anyone in there knowing I had this surgery, is it really important for people like that to know? I understand your pcp, obv., but what about ppl like that?

3. What is this gallbladder pill people are taking after surgery? I only have one to prevent ulcers (pepcid).

It is really easy for me to stay hydrated. If you are drinking what you should be throughout the day, when you work out you don't get totally drained. I can take some pretty big sips now and don't find myself feeling "dry" at anytime!

As for medical history, you should tell everyone of your medical professionals.

Believe it or not, a lot of your health is reflected on your teeth and bad teeth can cause heart problems and clogged arteries. So everything in our bodies are related. Your Dentist may feel he/she wants to not use a certain type of medication with you now because of the surgery, you may react to anesthesia differently. There are so many different thins to consider.

Why aren't you comfortable telling your dentist? They are just like any other doctor and should be treated as such. If you aren't comfy with that maybe you should get a new one who you are able to let into all aspects of your medical life.

I can drink enough Water to stay hydrated after exercise.

I haven't told my dentist and probably won't. I don't see the need. As a matter of fact, since I stopped eating junk, my teeth and gums are healthier than before surgery.

the gallbladder pill is ursidiol. It has some side effects so not all docs prescribe it post-sleeve. I had my gallbladder removed 10 months post-op and it was no big deal.

For me, I have Kaiser so this information about my sleeve is all over my medical records, but I tell them anyways because I don't want any mistakes that might jeopardize my stomach. I canceled my hygienist appointment early on and told them that I had this surgery. I was afraid that bacteria that was dislodged from my teeth cleaning would affect my staple line. My hubby had a knee replacement and he couldn't go have his teeth cleaned without taking an antibiotic the night before due to the bacteria in his mouth going down to his knee and causing some kind of infection. So I played it safe and canceled my appointment. My dentist was very supportive and so was my hygienist. :)

A question to add; how do you know how many ounces you have consumed?

Once you move to solids are you weighing portions before eating them?

I drink Water and PowerAide Zero by the bottle so I can keep track of my liquids that way. When I home, I have a go-to glass that holds 16 ozs so I can track that way as well. I have no problem stay hydrated.

Yes, you should tell your dentist. Your medical history is very important with them. HIPAA prohibits them from telling anyone.

As for food, yes, I weigh and measure everything to make sure I stay under my max carbs for the day and over my minimum Protein for the day.

Yes I weigh almost everything. When I go out I just eye it, but my stomach tells me when I've had enough regardless.

Below in blue.

Only three questions:

1. By the time you are able to start working out is it hard for you to stay hydrated? If you start to sweat or are really thirsty are you able to drink Water well enough and a large enough amount to feel better? I've never felt dehydrated during a workout. Generally it hits me several hours after (if at all) and it's no problem to then focus on fluids. With my capacity (small) I still have to something choose between extra fluids or a meal, in which case I will just use a water-based Protein drink and kill 2 boirds with 1 stone. It was a handful of weeks before I could drink much at all, but now at 3 mos out it's not a problem.

2. Do you tell all of your doctors you have the sleeve? Example dentists, obgyn, etc. Absolutely I tell my doctors. They need to know, or I cannot trust that they're able to take full care of me. At my dentist office they ask your medical history and update it every so often but I don't want anyone in there knowing I had this surgery, is it really important for people like that to know? I understand your pcp, obv., but what about ppl like that? I will definitely tell my dentist when I see them. It can make a difference. There's really no reason not to tell a medical professional.

3. What is this gallbladder pill people are taking after surgery? I only have one to prevent ulcers (pepcid). Don't have my gallbladder, so no idea. The PPIs are to cut back acid production. Our reduced stomachs don't catch on to the fact that they're reduced for a while. PPIs will help with production, as well as heartburn/reflux/GERD.

I never thanked everyone for their answes so THANK YOU! And yes I do indeed need a new dentist, they almost kept me from getting my surgery by telling me I had infection that I didn't have!