Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a newcomer to the forum--or to any online forum for that matter. I was banded by Dr. Benavides at SCOR in November '04. I have an Inamed band and I've had two fills.

I became very discouraged because I've lost only 25 pounds with the band and experienced a lot of difficulty incorporating the lb into my busy professional life. I've also had a lot of difficulty with acid reflux since the lb surgery.

I have taken some time off from worrying about the lb and I've been advised by my other physicians to have the lb removed. However, I am making another attempt to get the weight loss that I need with the lb since nothing else seems to have worked.

I would appreciate any advice anyone can provide about how to handle the emotional issues, acid reflux, etc. I am in awe of those of you who have succeeded with the lb despite minor setbacks and problems, and I am determined to make this work now, more than ever. Thanks for being there and sharing your experiences. I just wish I had come across this forum a long time ago. :D

Hi ZooMama

I have only been recently banded but I do have a question.

Have you had any GI xrays done? Such as an EGD (upper GI endoscopy) or anything else to check placement of the band and to make sure it hasn't eroded?

How often do you see your surgeon? Are you on meds for reflux?

Have you sought a second opinion from another lap band surgeon. If not check the link in my signature for mine in Dallas. He has banded several members on this board and I haven't heard anything negative about him.

How has your eating patterns changed? Do you see a nutritionist? What about the nurse educator at SCOR? Do you go to any support meetings?

Give us a little more info on your situation if you don't mind.

Thanks

Myra

I haven't had an endoscopy yet, but I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist in three weeks to discuss the reflux symptoms and I'm almost certain that he will order an endoscopy. My surgeon sent out a form letter to all of his patients several months ago telling them to schedule an endoscopy which I thought sounded peculiar unless it was medically indicated. Almost like a money-maker for his radiologist friend. I have confidence in my gastroenterologist and will follow his recommendation. If he thinks the band should go-it will. My internist has been harping about my need to lose the band since I started seeing her about a year ago.

I am on the following meds for reflux: Prilosec 2x daily, Zantac 300 mg. 1x daily, Mylanta extra strength evening and Rolaids evening. I also take Simethicone tablets in the a.m. and p.m. and that also helps a great deal. I sleep upright in a semi-sitting position and I don't eat anything 3-4 hours before bedtime. I have lately tried drinking a lot of Water before bedtime and that also seems to be helping.

My eating patterns have changed considerably. I don't eat whole cuts of meat, and I eat more Soups and minced chicken, Protein shakes, egg salad and I guess foods that you would call the "mushies." What I don't eat anymore is bread, Pasta, uncooked veggies, and absolutely no carbonated beverages. My dietary choices during the weekdays have been greatly influenced by my need to avoid pbs or vomiting at the office or around my co-workers. None of them knows that I have the band, and I would prefer to keep that private.

I haven't been back to my surgeon since the first post op follow up visit, and until the reflux symptoms started, didn't need to see a doctor. I haven't consulted with the nurse/educator at the SCOR, but I think that is a good idea and I will do that. Thanks. After finding this forum, I am also considering having the band unfilled to see if that helps the acid reflux before I have the band removed.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I will follow up with your suggetion to contact the nurse/educator.

WOW no wonder you are discouraged. That's a lot of meds and discomfort. Did you have reflux before banding?

I can't believe you have only been back to your surgeon for one post op visit. I had lap band May 19 this year and I have been back to see him at least three times. I just got a fill yesterday and he requires a follow up visit four weeks after a fill.

Please consider seeing another lapband surgeon.

It does sound like you have picked up on what seems to be the most common reasons for your symptom which is an overfill. I think you are right on track about the unfill and would do it asap. But bear in mind that overfills aren't the only cause of reflux.

When did you last have a fill and was it at SCOR. I don't know about the past but fills/unfills are done under flouro now. That in and of itself lets them get a view of band placement.

Some docs routinely do endos to keep an eye on their patients bands. I haven't got that far with my doc of course.:nervous

I am going to copy your posts onto the main forum so the really smart folks can offer some advice also.

Keep in touch and let me know how things go for you.

Myra

I am also wonering how tight you are. If you are only able to eat mushies, it maybe that you are overfilled. I have hear of many people who get overfilled, and they turn to foods that are not good for weightloss because of their ease of going down. Do you think this might also be the case?

I have hear of people who are overfilled as having a lot of aci reflux issues as well. I really hope you find the information and the answers you are looking for. I suggest going to see a octor that is REALLY well verse in the band.

Good luck!!

I agree with the other posters - you should consult with a new lap band doctor. One who is interested in your ongoing banded journey.

I suffer from reflux after banding - I never had it before. My reflux does not present with bringing up acid fluids, I have sternum pain which is controlled with Nexium.

Nexium and Protonix are the prefered method for treating chronic reflux. Have you ever been on either of these meds? If not, you should have your doctor prescribe for you at the time of your unfill. What is your current fill level? You say you've had two fills but do you know how much saline is currently in your band?

If you get an unfill and take Nexium or Protonix, wait for at least a month before getting a new fill. My doctor told me that it takes a long time for your esophogus to heal and to give it at least that long so as not to re-irritate it when you do get a fill. Start with a small fill and wait for awhile - a month or 6 weeks. If you're able to eat solid Protein and vegetables but you're not losing weight, get another small fill. Wait a month or 6 weeks. If you're able to eat solid Protein . . . you get the idea. When you reach your ideal fill level, or sweet-spot, you will be able to eat solid protein (no one will succeed if they can only eat mushies) but you'll only be able to eat a small portion and you'll be losing 1 - 2 pounds per week.

This is a long process, made longer by going through what you've already experienced. Unless you've got problems with your esophogus, which cannont be alleviated by any other method than band removal, I would recommend patience and a fresh start. You've come too far to give up without a fight.

Sorry if I've given information which you're already aware of. Being banded in '04 makes you an 'old timer' in bandworld! It just doesn't sound like your surgeon gave you much to go on.

Best wishes for success whatever you decide to do. Keep in touch and tell us how you're doing.