Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LDS Bandsters

NavyWifeJean,

How exciting for you! I've had a jazillion appointments and hopefully by May I will be getting my band. That's assuming I get approved through my insurance in a timely manner. So maybe we'll be band babies together.

My big worry is that people in the ward will notice if I'm gone or not moving like I normally do. I'm in primary and we have some demanding kiddoes that require more physical holding and stuff. My in-laws will know I'm going to the hospital, what do I tell her? I mean they live down the street and are very involved in our day to day life. My mom is coming to take care of the kids and house for a few days so I can recover. Mom knows and is 100% supportive and agrees that in this situation it is better off private. I wanted to keep my very minor heart catheterization/ablation private, everyone ended up finding out and before I knew it I was having open heart surgery and didn't even know it :redface:. Any ideas are more then welcome.

I plan on telling people I am exercising and watching my portions with the weight loss. I agree with you, its the truth! Also I'm told this over and over again at support group, with the nutritionist, and appointments, the band is just a tool, so its the truth, if we don't move and watch what we eat we won't loose. Other people won't view it that way and who needs to deal with that? Not me!

Lori

Nip-Wow 95 pounds in 6 months!? How did you do that? I didn't even think that was possible w/o gastric bypass. Do you feel okay? That is amazing. From your ticker you don't have much more to loose, good for you!

As far as missing church, I missed two weeks. I had only planned on missing one, but I was plagued by a nasty bout of nausea the second weekend and was too weak to go. I had only told a handful of people at church up to that point and hadn't really decided who else to tell. My seven year old daughter took care of that for me. "My mommy stayed home because she's not feeling very good after her weight surgery." Every single person I have talked to about the situation has been nothing but excited and supportive. I have been blessed. I've read many others' experiences haven't been the same.

Luu - I had surgery on Thursday and went to Church on Sunday (I'm primary president). It was rough and I didn't stay for the entire time, but I made it through sacrament and the first hour of primary.

As to what to tell them, just say you had some minor outpatient surgery. They don't need to know anything more and if they bug you about the heart, just say it's not heart related. I understand greatly. I've had two ablations for atrial fib and the last one I was in the hospital for 4 days. And the year it first started, I was in ICU 5 different times. It can get tiring trying to explain it all.

In regards to my weight, I guess I'm just a lucky one and I feel great. Anyway, My diet leans towards sugar busters. My doctor says Protein first and then vegies and fruits if you have room. He also says I shouldn't drink my calories. Which means that after I was through the liquids and mushy stages that he didn't want me drinking Protein Drinks and slimfasts if at all possible. I will have an occasional low carb slim fast at work if I'm extra hungry and I need the calories. That's weird to say "If I need the calories", but some days I have trouble making 800 calories. I normally eat around 900 a day.

I also don't exercise as much as I should, but my Atrial Fib acts up more if I exercise too much. I do try to walk about 30 minutes a day at least 5 times a week and occassionally the ablounger or hand weights.

Anyway, good luck to you on your journey. I hope you love your band as much as I do.

i feel like a papa all over again! i'm so glad i started a lil thread for us. in fact, i think is the most posted in thread i've ever started. :laugh:

i am glad everyone is doing fairly well. i've been on a little plateau for a bit. not so much portion problem as what i ate being the problem thru the holidays, incl easter.

and i just had another mri on my knees and have tears in my left knee again. i previouslt had a torn miniscus. i havent seen the doc yet to see how bad the tear is this time, but i have bad osteoarthrtis in my knees...no cartilage left for cushioning things. i go to see him next week to discuss my mri. makes walking difficult, and my home does not have an elevator.

and i too dislike the lack of clarification that the flds are NOT associated with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. :blush:

i have told many people about my surgery. i do not hide it. i understand how it must be difficult to have a relative as an employer. you have my sympathy. :scared2:

good luck everyone!

Miztrniceguy :sad_smile:

Yes - this was a great thread to start! Thank you! Previously, I looked under the "Religious Bandsters" heading but didn't see any LDS threads. Maybe there are others out there looking in that area, too.

So sorry about your knee. I will keep you in my prayers, but must admit that it will bring a smile to my face when I ask for a special blessing for Miztrniceguy. :-)

I understand about the problems that holidays bring. I didn't do so well during the Easter holiday. See, the marching band (I have two kids in band) sold those yummy See's eggs as a fundraiser. I just HAD to support the band! I also bough extras to take to those I visit teach, etc., but they never made it out of the house. Ooops! :-) I've really been dealing with hunger and just yesterday afternoon, I said my second fill. She pumped it WAY up there, so I'm sure that huger will be a thing of the past - at least for a while. Thank goodness! I want this to work!

Take care, everyone.

Since I found this fun little thread, I'd love to share what is motivating me this month. :-)

I'm part of a choir in Mesa that has performed Joseph the Prophet, Jesus the Christ, and Saints and Pioneers. This is the most beautiful music in the world!

"Joseph the Prophet" is being performed at the end of this month in the tabernacle on Temple Square, and those of us who sing in Mesa were invited to come perform. So, I'm heading up there in two weeks and get to see what it's like to sit in the Tabernacle Choir's seat and have that unique view of the tabernacle. What a joy! Being in that setting, I'll probably just cry instead of sing. :-)

My motivation is that we all wear black, and I need to be down about 10 more pounds to wear the dress I want. I think I'll be there!

Laurieloo - that sounds soo good. I've always wished that I had a half way decent voice, but was not given that gift. If fact, when my youngest son was just a toddler and I'd sing to him, he'd put his hand over my mouth to keep me quiet. Now that's pretty bad.

Anyways, I hope you have a wonderful time and be sure to let us know all about it.

laurieloo...thanks for the extra prayer, i'll take any i can get. at least if you ask for a blessing for Miztrniceguy Heavenly Father will know who you mean, whereas if you said Michael he might not know which one and someone else might get blessings meant for me. :eek:

nip, my daughter covers my mouth when i try to sing along to the kids shows she watches...i guess now i know why :thumbup:

I too am glad to see all the action here on the LDS thread. I am someone that has been very open about my surgery. I agree, it's a tool, but everyone has been supportive (especially my DH). I dread the compound with the FLDS thing. My mIL will go off, about how it makes our church look bad (and she's Catholic!). Anyway, congrats to those finally gaining approval, and congrats to us all on the band journey.

Annette

How's everyone doing? I'm dropping weight again after getting my second fill. I have good restriction and I'm enjoying seeing the band working like it should.

Shinyhappymom - By looking at your ticker, you seem to be doing really good. All I've had is 2 fills and its worked just fine for me, I've been one of the lucky ones so far. Hope this restriction lasts for you.