Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LDS Bandsters

Nancy,

Thanks! I started out with it reading: Taming the Cookie Monster, but after a while, it didn't fit anymore, so I changed it. I like it better that way. I really did have a problem with baked sweets, Cookies, brownies, etc. It amazes me that those things no longer dominate my thoughts and my eating behaviors. That has been one of the miracles of the band for me.

Congrats on starting your journey. I had my surgery in Denver by Dr. Dave Melniczek. His practice is much smaller than Dr. K, but he's about the same price; 9,000 for self-pay patients. That includes the first three months of fills. I've been very satisfied with him. I can reach him very easily by email or even by cellphone. He calls me personally every few weeks to see how I'm doing. I would recommend him.

Here's his website: Lap Band Surgery Denver, CO | Weight Loss Surgery Center Colorado | Bariatric Treatment

miztr,

I totally agree! It is so much easier to make good choices when hunger isn't what is driving you! How did the fill go?

fill went just fine. i got .3cc added total now 7.3. and i got chastised for not eating enough veggies.

i hate when they hit me up for a bill when i haven't even got one in the mail. suddenly , hey you owe 300 bucks, are you going to pay today?

thanks for the info about dr. melniczek -- wow he sounds amazing. very personal care.

I think that the band sounds like such a great tool. What I really want is just a magical 'poof' and all the excess weight is gone! Since that's not going to happen, I guess the band sound like the next best option for me!

This site is so jam packed with such great info, i'm glad i found it.

thanks so much for the quick reply!

What I really want is just a magical 'poof' and all the excess weight is gone!

You're right, the band is a tool and not a magical "poof", but it sometimes feels like it's been a magical thing that has happened to me. I have prayed for years to have the Lord remove this burden of weight that I carry. I feel that this surgery has been the answer to those prayers.

Shiny - I agree completely. It's been magical for me also, at times I feel its too good to be true. The lapband has been an answer to many of our prayers.

I have a question that I have not seen answered anywhere yet. I have read about Protein, Protein, protein, then vegies.

Okay, I'm sure you know the question. What about W of W? Grains and fruits? Can any of you eat green salads, I have heard that they are pretty much out of your diet after the band.

Any insight into this will be greatly appreciated!

Just wondering how it all works!!!!

I had salad tonight with dinner. Still love it and don't have a problem with it. What I tend to do is alternate the grains and vegies. I just can't eat meat, vegies, and grains at one meal. Some nights might be meat and vegies, the next night might be stir fry over brown rice or I might make a thick Soup with legumes. I like to have hot cereals, like oatmeal or rolled/cracked wheat at Breakfast also. I try to get some fruit in as a snack, like grapes or cantaloupe with some nuts or cheese.< /p>

i try to limit my grains and sugars. lo-carb is the best diet for me. the less carbs i eat the more likely i am to lose weight. i realize the WoW suggests grains, but they do not do well with me. grains are carbs, carbs are addicting. carbs are like alcohol. body processes them the same way. alcohol comes from grain, hence beer-belly.

I have a question that I have not seen answered anywhere yet. I have read about Protein, Protein, protein, then vegies.

Okay, I'm sure you know the question. What about W of W? Grains and fruits? Can any of you eat green salads, I have heard that they are pretty much out of your diet after the band.

Any insight into this will be greatly appreciated!

Just wondering how it all works!!!!

Don't know what w of w is but I eat grains/fruits and salads often.

Admit they come back up frequently, but doesn't taste so bad.

VegasGrace,

The W of W, or Word of Wisdom is a code of health that the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints live by. We consider it one of God's commandments and strive to live by this code. It includes both what we should and should not be putting into our bodies.

Along with the forbidden substances, (alcohol, drugs, etc.) we are counseled to eat grains and fruits in their season, as well as eat meat sparingly. You can read a little more about it here.

I often try to reconcile the Word of Wisdom with the whole low-carb, high Protein diet. I think it would be good to have a specific thread on this topic.

For me, when it comes to the word of wisdom and meat consumption (I've low carbed off and on for 5 years b/c of PCOS), I think that state of mind has a lot to do with it.

I'm not making myself a glutton with meat, I eat a reasonable amount at meals. There's a big difference between eating a serving of chicken and eating a pound and a half of bacon.

Fortunately with the band I can no longer be a glutton when it comes to meat. I agree with the reasonable amounts. I only eat 2-3 ounces of meat/cheese for lunch and dinner. The W of W to me means to make healthy choices and with the band I'm definitely doing that.