Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Beginning To Think Something Is Terribly Wrong...

I wrote last week about my upper left side pain. I still have no fever or nausea. Actually, I feel great except for this very BAD pain in my upper left side. It started in my back and moved around on my side and a little in the front of my body. It hurts worse when I'm up and around and walking makes it WORSE! At night when I'm lying down, I hardly feel it at all. Heating pad helps during the day as long as I'm not moving around. As soon as I start moving the pain gets worse. I've heard all kinds of reasons why I may be having this pain. GAS is one and I can assure you it isn't gas. I keep hoping and thinking that maybe it is the muscle that has a deep stitch in it. Although, my stomach was taken out on my right side and my right side doesn't hurt. My incisions are healed. The pain gets worse when I take a deep breath. I can sit up and take a deep breath easier then if I'm sitting back in a chair. I can breath very deeply even though it hurts to do so, so I think my lungs are ok. I called the surgeon's office again last week and moved my appointment up. They couldn't take me until Thursday and I'm just sitting waiting to see him. All kinds of horrible things are going through my mind. What if I have a leak??? Maybe there is a leak and I'm just not going to run a fever. Maybe they damaged my spleen during surgery? But why did it take three weeks to start hurting?? I was fine the first three weeks except for the horrible pain in the middle of my chest that finally went away. Now this. I'm so scared and worried about this. I've read so many horrible stories about leaks. MY WORSE FEAR!!!!! I am four weeks post op today. I feel great except for this pain. I don't want to go to the ER unless I'm very sick with fever or nausea. I guess I'm not really looking for answers from anyone. I'm just trying to figure this out in my head and it helps to type it all out. I am regretting my surgery as of right now. I'm so tired of worrying about possible complications. I was self pay and will be paying for this surgery for the next three years because my insurance won't cover it. I'm currently laid off work and my husband is working so hard for us as it is. I know if I have to go into the hospital, my insurance won't cover it. I would appreciate any prayers you guys could do for me. I need prayer. Thanks for reading. I guess I will know Thursday what I need to do. I'm afraid he may pass it off as being a muscle. If your stomach is taken out on the right side would they stitch the left deep in the muscle?? So many questions... :'( Anyone else have this?!?!?! I've asked before but has anyone had this and if so, what was the outcome?

Are you wearing your binder? I had stopped wearing my binder and my stomach where it was taken out would get a horrible pain. When I put the binder on ond wore it, my left side started feeling a lot better. It's worth a try. Good luck and hope it's simple? Do you have any medical insurance through your spouse's work? If so, you could go to the ER or urgent care and see a doc there. Check it out if you do. That would take a lot of the stress off. :)

Thanks Dorrie. I was never given a binder so I've never worn one. My stomach was taken out on my right side. That's why I'm wondering why the left side hurts. I do have insurance through my husbands work but they exclude wls and I don't think they will pay for complications. I do see my surgeon on Thursday for my 1 month follow up. Just hoping I don't have to go into the hospital. :(

Since you don't have a binder, do you have any "ace bandages" or anything that you could wrap real tight, mummy style around your stomach. Just to hold everything nice and tight and still, no jigglying. Hopefully it will be something simple and not the "L" word. Good Luck and let us know. Prayers are with you!

I had this pain. And my surgeon said it is muscle. I said, no way, it hurts worse than the surgery did. But he promised me it was. He said they pull and move and push and shove EVERYTHING on your mid section (includes left side too) I said, ok, how long can it go on (still thinking, I am a month out, it can't still hurt) and he told me some people have to deal with it for 2 months. Then he showed me some stretches, told me to ice/heat it. I am 6 weeks out now and the pain is gone. Trust me I felt like I was getting a b.s. Answer but, turned out, the stretching helped. And now I feel better. You still need to see your doc asap just to ease your mind, but start stretching your side and I bet you will feel better. Plus I would assume its a muscle until otherwise told. I understand the pain, trust me, but it does get better!

I had such a pain in my side I couldn't stand up straight for 5 days went to the dr I had pulled a muscle took another 4 days to keep trying before it stopped hurting

Thanks Dorrie. I was never given a binder so I've never worn one. My stomach was taken out on my right side. That's why I'm wondering why the left side hurts. I do have insurance through my husbands work but they exclude wls and I don't think they will pay for complications. I do see my surgeon on Thursday for my 1 month follow up. Just hoping I don't have to go into the hospital. :(

U know about what happened with me. My binder helped tons. You can buy one at a medical supply store and I have heard at Walmart too.

You have been in horrible pain for a week. If it was a leak or an abscess you would have a fever. Are you actually taking your temperature with a thermometer or assuming you don't have a fever because you don't feel hot? It may be gall bladder pains (but I've heard they are disabling due to it hurting so badly). In any case, if you think you can wait until Thursday, do it. Do you have any more pain medication? That may help take the edge off. Are you drinking enough Water? Are your bowels moving?

I pray you find relief soon *hug*

You have been in horrible pain for a week. If it was a leak or an abscess you would have a fever. Are you actually taking your temperature with a thermometer or assuming you don't have a fever because you don't feel hot? It may be gall bladder pains (but I've heard they are disabling due to it hurting so badly). In any case, if you think you can wait until Thursday, do it. Do you have any more pain medication? That may help take the edge off. Are you drinking enough Water? Are your bowels moving?

I pray you find relief soon *hug*

Thanks Spatters. Yes, I am taking my temp with a thermometer. Seems like 10 times a day because I'm so paranoid! My digestion has been doing fine and I'm drinking Water and gatoraide G2 low sugar all the time. Thank you so much for your prayers. This is why his baffles me so much. I have no other symptoms and seem to be doing everything right.

I had this pain. And my surgeon said it is muscle. I said, no way, it hurts worse than the surgery did. But he promised me it was. He said they pull and move and push and shove EVERYTHING on your mid section (includes left side too) I said, ok, how long can it go on (still thinking, I am a month out, it can't still hurt) and he told me some people have to deal with it for 2 months. Then he showed me some stretches, told me to ice/heat it. I am 6 weeks out now and the pain is gone. Trust me I felt like I was getting a b.s. Answer but, turned out, the stretching helped. And now I feel better. You still need to see your doc asap just to ease your mind, but start stretching your side and I bet you will feel better. Plus I would assume its a muscle until otherwise told. I understand the pain, trust me, but it does get better!

I haven't tried ice but heat. I will try the ice too. I will start stretching and see if that helps. Thank you so much.