Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had both "the slimes" and vomiting frequently during the first couple of months post op. Turns out I needed to be on an acid reducer AND that I needed to take the advancement of my diet more slowly than most folks. Once I started eating on MY terms, that is, taking it slower, staying on mushies/soft foods a bit longer, eating frequent small mini-meals, paying attention to my body's signals to stop (for me, burping and a runny nose!), and staying away from trouble foods (oily/overly sweet, bread/pasta/rice), I was GREAT!

So my advice--it's not a race. It's an adjustment to a new way of eating. Some of us make that adjustment really easily. Others, like me, take time to get there, but we do get there. :-)

Had both of these things happen to me but ONLY when i overate or didn't chew well. Haven't had it happen in over a year and even before then it was maybe once a month. Usually when I was very hungry and ate fast. Lesson learned! I compare it to having gas' date=' it's really not that awful or big of a deal.[/quote']

With the sleeve do you really have to over chew? Like 30 chews per bite?

Looks like I can prepare myself and hopefully learn from your post. Don't let myself get too hungry. I am notorious for not eating at regular intervals and then my blood sugar drops. Then over eating.

I am about 4 weeks out and am having a problem with the SLIMES (we have got to get a better name, but I will admit it is perfectly descriptive). I guess as I am transitioning to more solids, I am eating too fast. It seems to hit me when I am reading or eating lunch at work. I think what happens is that I am distracted by what I am doing and not paying attention to eating slowly. I am taking little bits, but not paying attention to the speed. I do not eat too much because i am only putting a small portion on the plate.

For me it feels like you have to burp, but can't. I have on 4 occasions thrown-up. But it is not really like throwing up, it is more like burping up a ton of siliva - sounds wicked gross - really not that bad. It is nothing like real throwing up where you feel out of control. And it feels like it is coming from the bottom of your feet. For me anyway, it is just like a ... bluuuuurp - and I am done. No food is coming up at all. And as soon as I have blorped (technical medical term) I feel instantly 100% back to normal.

Weird, but sounds like it seldom lasts for more than a few months. I am not sure if it cures itself, or if blorping simply teaches us to eat slower and the cause is then eliminated.

Vomiting after VSG is not like it was before (at least not for me and not representing those who have had leaks or excessive nausea, etc.) there is not much force behind the food that is coming up and because of PPI's not much acid either, it is more like chewed food going the other direction - OUT. Not much wretching or fluids probably due to not drinking with a meal. It's over in a few minutes and then you feel fine.

I slimed a few times in the beginning by eating too fast/too much...but found my happy place - the old 1/2 cup or 4 oz limit for most meals.

Vomiting after VSG is not like it was before (at least not for me and not representing those who have had leaks or excessive nausea' date=' etc.) there is not much force behind the food that is coming up and because of PPI's not much acid either, it is more like chewed food going the other direction - OUT. Not much wretching or fluids probably due to not drinking with a meal. It's over in a few minutes and then you feel fine.

I slimed a few times in the beginning by eating too fast/too much...but found my happy place - the old 1/2 cup or 4 oz limit for most meals.[/quote']

Ditto on Katie's post. I couldn't have said it better. Also, before surgery I was good at controlling vomit if I felt queasy. I could swallow several times and often the queasy feeling will subside. Now, if it's coming up, it's coming up. Swallowing will only make it worse. And it's just chewed up food - no liquid with it.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

It only happens if you overdo it, something you're likely to do at least once or twice as you learn the limits of your new stomach. It doesn't even take minutes for me. I feel uncomfortable, the food quickly comes up and I'm back to normal in a minute. I would not call it "vomiting," really, because there is no real force behind it and no bile involved.

Certain foods can cause this because they tend to swell when they hit the stomach. So instead of getting in several bites, you'll get surprised when after three you don't have room and feel discomfort. Those foods for me (in the beginning, now I know my limits!) were bread, Pasta, rice and tortillas. A lot of people have trouble with scrambled eggs.

You learn your new full signals and adjust quickly. The most important thing is to pay attention to what your body is trying to tell you, instead of waiting for the old bloated and stuffed feeling to hit.

~Cheri

"Blorping" is hilarious <- the new word, not the experience. :) I'm four months out and have not done it in a long time. I think it does subside because people figure out how their new tummy works.