Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Fitzpatrick in Portland and Eugene

I just got my first fill today from Dr. Fitzpatrick, and she is great.

Both my DH and I went together, and she talked with us for a long time about what we were experiencing and what to expect as we travel on this journey.

DH went first for his fill. He has a VG band which holds 10CC. Dr. Fitzpatrick does not use a flouro machine, although she kind of hinted that she wouldn't mind getting one at some point. So she had DH drink some Water, "to remember what it feels like" then started filling him up. They talked out what he was feeling and when he felt the water back up, she took some out and worked with it until he could feel the water go through the band. Then she had him drink some gulps of water and sit and drink water while it was my turn. He ended up with a fill of 4.6 cc.

Next it was my turn. She had me lay on the table, I was quite a bit nervous and my blood pressure showed it. She didn't numb me, but found the port in 1 poke (same with DH). Once the needle was in, she helped me sit up and then started the fill, mine was done exactly the same was as DH, except that I couldn't feel it go through the port as much as backing up in the back of my throat. I ended up with 1.6 cc in a 10 CM band which holds 4cc.

Since Dr. Fitzpatrick is leaving town on Sunday, she said she didn't want to be worried about us, so she gave us her cell phone number and asked us to call tomorrow, even if we feel great, just so she wouldn't wonder, isn't that great!

Also, we had our bands done in Mx by Dr. Ortiz, and she was VERY impressed with how well they were done. The ports were easy to find (right below the port scar on the left hand side) and very easy to access. She said she would have to write Dr. Ortiz a letter and let him know what a great job he did!

Today, we are on Clear liquids and tomorrow we start mushies for one day, then on to solids. The whole appointment took 1 1/2 hours, which I had planned on because she wanted to get through with everything. The filling of the port part probably took 10 minutes for me and 15 for DH.

I think the cost is very resonable, and the care is excellent. The first visit was 180 and follow-ups are 165, plus if you have any questions at all we are supposed to call. I think that is great, since she is so close and our surgeon is so far away.

all in all, it was an excellent experience. Both DH and I are doing great tonight and the poke didn't hurt anywhere near as much as I thought it would!

I am so glad to hear of someone who has gone to her!!! I e-mailed her about possibly going toher---I had Dr.Ortiz do my band just a few days ago--and was wondering if I should go back tohim for at least my first fill---or save some money and try out Dr. Fitzpatrick. THanks so much for the info on her---also---was that your first fill?

This was my very first fill as well as my first time with Dr. Fitzpatrick.

I believe she works in both locations. She told my DH that he could get his fill added to if it wasn't enough in Eugene, if he didn't mind the ride, or wait til she was in Portland again on Sept. 14.

Thanks for posting this. My best friend from Redmond is being banded by Dr. Ortiz on September 22nd. She had originally scheduled with Dr. Kuri but changed her mind after some more research.

Even though there's a Fill Centers USA location in Bend, I'm glad to know that Dr. Fitzpatrick is willing to do fills for Mexico patients. I'll pass this information along to her.

Thanks again! :huggie:

Hubby needed to go back in on sept. 11 for additional fill, he could still eat too much. We had to take our son to college over the weekend so Hubby went to Eugene to get his fill. He is now up to 7.1 in a VG band.

Dr. Fitzpatrick said if he was over full she would meet him in Portland VERY EARLY on Friday morning because we had to drive our DS to college and leave early in the morning because we were going all the way to cheney, WA almost 6 hours away.

We didn't need it as DH feels his restricition is perfect, but just thought that she would accomidate her schedule to ours was fantastic,

I plan on another fill aroound the 7th because I'm not losing weight, but DH only had to pay 30 for a refill, I'll be at 165 for mine because I had restriction but need a new fill.

Hubby is really restricted and I can eat more than him! that is embarrassing.

Ok, who is this Dr. Ortiz? I have seen many people on this forum that has gone to him. Is it cheaper, is that why alot of people have gone there? Is it a nice place, clean, safe and all? In Portland, Or, they want $19,500. Ouch! Of course my insurance does not cover it. YIKES.

Sweetrepose,

Dr. Ortiz is a lap-band surgeon located in Tijuana Mexico. It only cost me $8,500 to have the surgery there, compared to the $15,000-$25,000 it would have cost me here. I don't have insurance that covers this operation either, and Dr. Ortiz is a SUPERB doctor. He does about 5 or more a day down in Mexico--his center is very clean, and all the staff were great! I was very apprehensive about going to down to Mexico to have surgery--but it was a very good experience! If you have any more questions about him you can PM me or write here! Good Luck to you!!