Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Traveling... I Am Going On A Cruise 12 Weeks Post Op (Pre-Op Now)

Hi everyone!

I hope I get some answers here.. I am nervous about my up coming cruise to Mexico.

Can some of you share what you ate at around 12 weeks post op?

Also, Ladies, how many sizes did you go down after 12 wks? or how much weight did you lose after 12 weeks? I know everyone differs but I just want a general idea because I am going to need new clothes..

Thanks! :)

Hi

12 weeks now and 48 pounds down and I must add I am NOT using this time optimal to lose as much as I can as fast as I can.Have a lot of stress and am not quite focussed.

xxo

I dunno...40 or 50? I think close to 50. But I started really high too. By then you should be able to eat a "little bit" of almost anything that is within your docs orders. (high Protein, low fat, etc...) Just have fun on your cruise and try not to focus too much on all the food. Have one bite of dessert so you don't feel so left out. Just leave it at that. 12 weeks should be beyond all the break in phases.

I say have fun eat alittle, dont worry so much about Protein protein. You can make it up later. Becareful of the food hurting your stomach. you will learn what to eat, I l lost 70 pounds. But have slowed really down 8 weeks. Have a great time. Maybe take a Protein Powder drink with you have in the morning so it doesnt hurt your stomach.

I went to Brazil six weeks post-op. I didn't get to eat the ideal sleeve diet, but by six weeks I was well aware of what I could eat and could tolerate so I made the best decisions in the moment. I still lost weight and never got sick. Just listen to your body and make the better decisions!

Thanks Ladies! Ajagwu, Brazil sounds amazing!

May I ask how may sizes in clothing you went down after 10 weeks?

I really do not want to go on vacation wearing baggy clothes. I am a 18/20, 2X now and I have bought 1 large size dress and another long flowy dress that stretches but its a Medium... I know I shouldn't buy clothes but as my hubby says, eventually it will fit.

Any suggestions??

In that amount of time I went from a loose 30w to a tight 22w...if that helps any?

Thanks dooter! I really appreciate your input. And wow!! Excellent job on the weight loss!! Way to go :-)

Everybody is different so it's hard to say where you will be in 12 weeks. I waited until about two weeks before my trip then assessed what fit and didn't fit and ran out to buy a few items that I absolutely needed. I have always been told don't buy things that don't fit (i.e. too small) because by the time it fits you might not like how it sits on your body. So my advice would be wait until closer to your cruise and then buy a few things you end up needing right before. Also, I haven't been buying much in general because some of the new stuff I bought is already too big. I just focus on buying a few things when i actually need them instead of splurging on a new wardrobe. You will learn how to get creative and make clothes work without looking baggy and frumpy...I can't stand that feeling anymore either!

Aja so true what u say. Its hard for me not to shop. Since I decided to get this surgery I have no bought any clothes for myself and generally I would shop once or twice a month. I've bought a few items that are smaller sizes but I do have to take your advice because it may be a waste if money.

But like my hubby says if it doesn't fit then I can donate it to the womens homeless shelter in my town and charity always make me feel good! :-)

I say have fun eat alittle, dont worry so much about Protein Protein. You can make it up later. Becareful of the food hurting your stomach. you will learn what to eat, I l lost 70 pounds. But have slowed really down 8 weeks. Have a great time. Maybe take a Protein powder drink with you have in the morning so it doesnt hurt your stomach.

I disagree. Protein should always be the first thing you get in every day. If you focus on this, you will manage to stay away from a lot of the simple carbs that don't help you and just make you feel hungry. Also, you cannot make it up later. Your body can only hold so much protein a day, so once the day is gone, the chance is gone. Have a great time and don't feel guilty for the occasional small indulgence. That protein is super important though. Also, I would wait to buy clothes until you are just about ready to leave for the cruise. I don't know if there is an average weight loss that can be reliably calculated (and applied) because we all start at completely different points. First and foremost have a WONDERFUL time! I loved getting up in the morning and heading up to the gym to look at the ocean as I walked the treadmill or rode a stationary bike. I haven't been on a cruise in about 3 years and I miss it so much :)

Oh ladyivy! Thanks! I can't believe you just made me excited about working out on my vacation!! Hehehe!! Yes I believe eating Protein first at every meal can be accomplished! I will definitely count on that to help me out.

First off~~~have a wonderful time! I love cruising!!!

Second, traveling after the sleeve requires some thought. I was not 12 weeks yet, but at 4 weeks went to Hawaii for 2 weeks. Talk about super nervous, but my surgeon assured me I would be fine! I waited until the week I was leaving to pick up a few neccesities as I was down a size already. Coming home those same pants that were slightly tight when I left were falling off my butt! I was careful about what I ate but didn't stress to badly, just made sure I got my Water in and ate meat first. Found out that ribs were my best friend, they settled so easily with no discomfort and they tasted wonderful after a diet of fluids and eggs for 4 weeks!

Just take your time eating, and enjoy the cruise!!! if you dont want your tablemates to know, push your food around your plate, Ive done it several times and no one is the wiser!

You actually can't make up missed Protein later, any more than you can make up missed sleep. Once it has been missed, it's missed, and "extra" at another time is going to be stored as "extra" (i.e. fat).

I'm right around 12 weeks out and can eat pretty much whatever I want, just in really small portions. A few things are more uncomfortable than others, but I have no intolerances and have not had to vomit once. I eat a lot of sashimi (I've only been on one cruise but there was always sushi/sashimi available), strawberries, almonds, eggs, cheese... I don't eat many vegetables because I don't have room for them, but they've not had a problem going down (I've tried steamed broccoli, raw lettuce, blanched asparagus, raw cucumber, raw onion, raw seaweed... that might actually be it...) The strawberries are mainly to up my calories through "healthy" carbs.

If it were me I'd pack a few boxes of Protein Bars. I wouldn't worry about Protein drinks. At 12 weeks I'm getting the majority of the Protein through my regular foods. If I'm running behind for the day I will have a half a Protein Drink (20gm). You can find Protein Bars with a 2:1 or 3:1 protein:carb ratio just about anywhere. If you look harder you can find ones with better numbers (I'm not stressing about carbs so it doesn't bother me to do a 2:1 ratio for a solid protein, I would not do 2:1 for liquid protein). And for whatever reason, out of everything except like Water, protein bars go down the easiest. I don't even have to eat them all that slowly. They melt, I guess. :)

There are Protein Drink mixes that come in individual serving packets, or that you could portion out into ziplocs, but you'd probably need a shaker cup or something. And they're gross... by 12 weeks you're going to be so protein-drinked out, you'll probably be willing to eat more frequently if it means you don't have to drink another shake. :)

Weight-wise I've lost whatever it says below (I don't know off-hand and can't see my ticker), but I've been in a dead stall for about 8 weeks now, or a little longer. Size-wise I'm going to guess I'm down 2 sizes. The jeans I wore the day before surgery, snugly, I can now pull off/on without unbuttoning or opening the zipper. The jeans I have on today are 22s, but I tried on some jeans yesterday at a different store than where I normally buy my jeans and their 26 was tight on me, so there's really no meaning in a "size".

Thanks everyone! You have put me at ease! I truly appreciate your input!