Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cost Of Pre & Post Surgery Products

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel the same? Talking about a requirement to purchase a certain product as part of the must-do's in order to fulfill my obligations for weight loss surgery. I must purchase Bariatric Advantage products exclusively from the hospital for pre-surgery diet products and post-surgery products. For some reason this keeps gnawing at me as wrong.

I have no choice as what product I can purchase other than what's presented to me. Looking at the cost of the products needed, it'll cost about $500.00 +/- to get my supplies (3-months worth). I'm on a fixed (retirement) income and can ill afford $500.00 for anything! When I go in for my endoscopy this Thursday, I'll have to inquire about a payment plan.

Has anyone else run into this requirement/problems?

I would have to agree with you. You shouldn't have to purchase one single specific product, provided by the hospital at whatever markup they choose. I would think they'd provide a guideline for you to follow, and maybe a varied list of approved products to choose from. Not just one thing. That sounds like they are running some sort of racket.

I would ask if it's possible for them to suggest a more reasonably-priced alternative. Or find some on your own and see if they will allow you to have those. Good luck. :)

I agree that it sounds like a racket! You shouldn't have to buy their preferred brand for any reason. Perhaps they're getting a kickback or a great profit from those products, but it's not right for a surgeon to require one brand. You may hate that brand of drink or food and be stuck with all of the extra.

BTW, will they refuse to perform the surgery if you don't purchase their brand? I'd ask.

Um, is that even legal? I don't think a doctor can force you to buy supplements...Tell them no, list your baseline needs you are looking for in a supplement and so from there. I would check with your state's laws on if this is even legal.

Okay - I talked to a few people, including a lady with the Texas Medical Board, this seems to be the best route for anyone (everyone) this is happening with:

Start an email thread about your appointments, etc. what is left - establish that your doctor has plans to operate on you, provided your tests and requirements, etc. are met.

Gather your information - email you doctor and tell them you wish to opt out of their product choice. Be specific and tell them you have

1) observed many people discussing that they cannot stomach one brand of supplement very long,

2) you dislike the products in question and

3) you want and need to pay as you go for supplements

4) want your consumer rights to be respected.

Then ask them, point blank, why they feel it is necessary for you to purchase that product from them, what difference there is in that product that makes it so, and (this is a biggie) do they make a profit from MAKING you buy that product.

Request politely that they respond to each question, and explain, politely, that this has raised concerns with you. Maintain your composure, and then confirm your next appointment.

THEN:

If they do not step down, file a complaint with the medical board they are practicing in - and follow up.

Hope that helps!

It bugs the heck out of me and it just doesn't seem right. The doctors make thousands of dollars off of each patient as it is for the surgery, then they have to stick it to you for a few extra hundred. We should have the right to take any product we want as long as it meets the necessary requirements.

Okay - I talked to a few people, including a lady with the Texas Medical Board, this seems to be the best route for anyone (everyone) this is happening with:

Start an email thread about your appointments, etc. what is left - establish that your doctor has plans to operate on you, provided your tests and requirements, etc. are met.

Gather your information - email you doctor and tell them you wish to opt out of their product choice. Be specific and tell them you have

1) observed many people discussing that they cannot stomach one brand of supplement very long,

2) you dislike the products in question and

3) you want and need to pay as you go for supplements

4) want your consumer rights to be respected.

Then ask them, point blank, why they feel it is necessary for you to purchase that product from them, what difference there is in that product that makes it so, and (this is a biggie) do they make a profit from MAKING you buy that product.

Request politely that they respond to each question, and explain, politely, that this has raised concerns with you. Maintain your composure, and then confirm your next appointment.

THEN:

If they do not step down, file a complaint with the medical board they are practicing in - and follow up.

Hope that helps!

I think, they think, they have you over a barrel knowing that you want the surgery & have gotten this far only to argue with them about the products they push.

My docs office used barriatric advantage. It was $50 for 1 bag. It was 1 bag per week. I didnt have to use it, but they couldn't guarantee any other one was the right combo. So I did get the bag.

I have celiac disease (gluten). A lot of the bariatric products have gluten in them. So, there are alternatives. They may not be less expensive, but they do exist.

When I first heard that the doctor's office was pushing Bariatric Advantage, I was thinking "what a racket"... but if you look online, BA is the same price. I don't have to buy it from them. In fact, in my program materials, they direct me to buy the supplements from the BA website. I ended up getting them from DietDirect.com when they had a 10% off sale. AND.. the more you buy, the more you save. (If you spend x amount of stuff, you save %.) I ended up saving close to $50. I figure I'll just buy the Protein powder from the doctor's office because it's more convenient. I didn't buy the shakes online because I want to taste them first. I guess next week I have a two-hour group meeting to talk about the shakes and the pre-op diet - and we'll be tasting the stuff.

I know that I like the Syntrax nectar Cappuccino, strawberry mousse, and Cookies & cream flavors, but I can't remember how the nutrition pairs up. Protein-wise, they are the same.

My surgeon had a Bariatric Advantage rep at his office the day of my consult. I met with him after my doctor appoint,ent to try everything. At the same time he filled out this sheet with what I liked so they knew what to send me. When I finally saw the cost of it all, I said no way in heck. Good thing my doctor didn't require I use their products. I have a serious problem with a surgeon who requires you use one product or another. I'd suggest you talk to your doctr and explain your reason for wanting a lower cost option. Good luck to you!

I've got my pre-surgery consent signing session coming up August 1st. (surgery is scheduled for Aug. 14). I'll be meeting with the doctor, getting some vitals, drawing up surgery orders & talking with the nutritionist. I'll find out more then about the Bariatric Advantage "push" and will share the information.

Thanks Kimbernada for the information about DietDirect.com. I'll look into their web site.