Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Non Supportive Primary Care Doctor

My PCP is wonderful! Sent referral to insurance company by me just calling in and requesting it. I'm 321 this morning. 338 about 6 weeks ago. Appetite is just lower for some reason. When I went in this week for a sinus infection he out of the blue asked when my surgery was . He is very supportive . Probably my biggest support of everyone. I start the 2 week diet on June 11. Scared I will have trouble with it. I don't like shakes or sweets. Worried about getting enough Protein in my diet. Guess I'll cross that road when I get to it. I buy the food one day next week ($108 ) for 2 week supply. Just ready for all this to be over with and feel comfortable in my own skin. I hate mirrors and reflections in glass doors. I agree you need a different PCP. I have noticed women are less sympathetic than men when it comes to Doctors. Just my opinion. Good luck to you. :unsure:

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I am so glad I posted this, you all helped me so much. You guys are great!

I didn't tell my PCP as I rarely had to go to see her and didn't need her referral and honestly, i didn't really care what she thought as she isnt a bariatric surgeon so its not her specialty. One week after surgery, I did go see her because I have been having issues with peri menopause. So, of course I had to tell her then. She was very supportive and I also found out that she has several patients who have had weight loss surgery with my same surgeon!

This sort of concerns me about PCP not being supportive. I have been with my PCP for nearly 10 years. She knows I struggle with my weight, but has never really offered me any help other than telling me to eat right and exercise. same thing with a psychiatrist I saw. he said I would feel better if I got exercise. who can exercise with an extra 60 or 70 pounds?????? I am very overweight. so overweight that now it is affecting my joints. I just had hip surgery to have the bursa removed. totally thought that would be the answer to my prayers because I was in so much pain and had been for quite some time that it hurt to just walk. surgery was not very successful so now, I know WLS is my only viable option. if I lose weight, then my joint problems, which are causing me to be depressed, should greatly improve. I am also

paying for it myself so my doctor better believe I am not going to piss away $15 grand. shame on those drs.

I too had a PCP who has for years told me he is not a fan of WLS( he's skinny) of course he doesn't need to be a fan)LOL

I however have been! He has been my PCP for 12 years, after hearing "but your healthy" for do many years, I told him, really Doc, how is it possible to tell me Im healthy, yet you have a diagnosis of Morbidly Obese on my chart?!?

Doesn't make any sense! I had to part ways with him last September. My new PCP( love him) knew what I was all about when I made my first appointment!! It was such a smooth process with him and his great staff. I'm gonna stick with him for a long time! I am now 5 weeks post op and down nearly 40 pounds. My PCP will be so proud of me

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Hellonurse, the other part of me says my doc doesn't deserve to see my success. She would probably take credit for it. :angry: I have until November until I am suppose to return, so I have time to decide... unless I get sick. The good news is that I work in a hospital so if I do get sick I am surrounded by an army of (very supportive) docs that I can turn to.

OK crazy question. How do you tell your PC you had surgery when you really never talk to them about b/can you didn't wanna hear anything negative.

Carla, I hear you! I meant my new PCP, not my old one

Its great you have some docs who are supportive, Good Luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

OK crazy question. How do you tell your PC you had surgery when you really never talk to them about b/can you didn't wanna hear anything negative.

You could either let your surgeon do it, by asking them to send a report, OR the next time you go to your doc and if they ask if you have had any surgeries, like they are supposed to, then tell them. If they don't ask but want to know how you lost the weight, tell them Portion Control, because after all, that is ultimately what it is, a tool to give you portion control.

My PCP had suggested WLS several times over the past few years but never pressured me and was always supportive with whatever I wanted to try next. My insurance (Anthem BC/BS) doesn't cover anything "weight loss" unless I am actually enrolled in an approved weight loss center's program. So, he would write other things on the chart when I was primarily there to talk to him about weight loss. Stupid system. He recently saved my life because I offhandedly mentioned to him that I was spotting (I'm post menopausal) - ordered an ultrasound and then called me himself with the results and made the appointment with the gynecologist. Turned out I had uterine carcinosarcoma ("unique, rare, and extremely aggressive cancer"). It was all contained within the uterus and appears to have been all summarily removed ;-)

I have always used doctors as tools to get medication or procedures done that I thought I needed. With all that has happened recently I am rethinking our relationship - it should be a partnership whose goal is my good health. If your PCP isn't your partner, find one who can be.

I asked my primary care doc about WLS surgery earlier this year and she told me not to do it. When I asked why she said that none of her patience have been successful with WLS and they have all gained their weight back. I talked to my GYN about it a month or so later and he is 100% for it. (I love him!) He has known me for 25 years and his opinion is that I will be very successful. (Did I mention how much I love him?) So fast forward to this past Monday when I saw my primary care doctor for recheck to continue my meds that I take only because I am MORBIDLY OBESE! She was so excited to see that I have lost almost 20 pounds. She went on to say that I will NEVER lose the 200 pounds I need to lose and that she will be glad if I can just get under 300!!! What an idiot! I found myself wanting to run out of there screaming but you know what? I can't wait to go back to her in 6 months - a year - 2 years -- just to torture her with how well I will be doing. No' date=' I proably won't go to her for much longer but I do want her to educate her that surgery is an option that can save her patients lives. OK, I feel cleansed, thanks for letting me vent.[/quote']

This is something that really upsets me, not simply that your PCP is unsupportive, but a large number of medical professionals disregard us because of our weight. I can remember going to a doctor for a sinus infection and getting a lecture about weight loss. I'm so sorry you've had such a negative experience. I agree that a letter to the hospital board is a good idea.

Good luck!

I recently changed pcps and had an awesome experience with my md. While I didn't need anything from him in regards to my surgery, I did discuss with him the type of procedure and when I was having it.

He asked that I give one of his cards to my surgeons office so they could fax my records to him. Then he wanted to schedule my next appointment a week after I had surgery so he could monitor me as well.

As I was leaving, he wished me the best of luck and said he would be praying for me.

Life is too short to have a crappy doctor. :)

I'm extremely luck in that my PCP, who's been my doctor for over 15 years, got sleeved last year. He's been a great source of support during this journey and I feel very comfortable knowing that he'll be there post-op as well. His wife even had the procedure, so he's definitely on board with my decision.

You'll find a doctor that understands your decision and support you through the process. Don't get discouraged!

I agree and think you should write some letters. That's wrong.

My initial doc, prior to band surgery, I thought would NEVER be on board but I needed HIM to refer me to the Bariatric Dept! I asked him and he approved the request, sent the referral that day. I was shocked!

As I was finishing the program, he left and I got a new doc. I needed his signature on the FINAL reports for the go ahead. My first meeting with him was for this! He was happy to do it!

Now I've got a PCP whose a knucklehead! He's very young and the type who works out a lot, played football all thru HS and College, still play pick up games w/his friends, etc. He think you can do ANY thing if you only stop eating and exercise! UGH!

If I had to go thru him to get my revision, it wouldn't be happening. He is against WLS, says it doesn't work (just look at you), etc. Same ol' song and dance that most of us hear at some point over the years. I can't change docs unless I want to drive an hour to see someone even when Im sick. As soon as one of the other docs open up, I'm switching.

Tho I do have to say, in his defense, that there have been a couple of times where I really needed him and he came thru for me.

To my face when I had my exams with my PCP he was 100% supportive, then when all the tests came back "normal" he refused to write a letter of medical necessity because I did not have any serious health conditions YET (his word, yet). I called my surgeon's office and they set up an appointment with a doctor they work with and we got it taken care of.

Haven't been back to that pcp and will not go back to him.