Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking while eating poll

How often do you drink with your meals?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you drink with your meals?

• I ALWAYS drink with my meals.
    • I SOMETIMES drink with my meals.
    • I RARELY drink with my meals.
    • I NEVER drink with my meals.

Ok guys, I'm having a really hard time with the not drinking while eating thing. I created a poll to see if people are really doin it or if it's as hard to get use to as I think. Be honest!!

My dr. instructions indicate that we should take tiny sips of liquid when eating to help 'liquify' the food. So, I drink maybe 1/4 cup of liquid, usually less when I eat.

I used to drink my one and a half to 2 litres of Water a day all during meals (came from years of doing WW where they said to fill up your stomach on Water during meals). It was really hard for me at first not to drink during, or straight after a meal, but now I seldom do, possibly at the cost of not drinking enough water during the day. I just don't think to do it between meals, even though I carry around little half litre bottles with me. Lately I've been getting food stuck (I think it's from major life stress at the moment that I feel tighter, or that I'm not being careful enough about chewing), and my instinct is to swig some water down to move things through, but this makes it even worse :D! So, the answer is, I seldom drink during meals now, but really regret it....

Deana.

i dont drink with meals because it stops the band doing its job,it either makes me sick or it pushes the food through the band so thats defeating the object of having the band so now i dont do it i have my drinks right up 2 needing a meal then i can drink again about 30 mins to an hour after a meal.

My Dr also recommends no drinking no drinking one hour before, during or one hour after meals. Well figure that out. If you sleep 8 hrs you have 16 hours wake time. three meals means 7 of those hours your can't drink (if it takes 20 mins to eat). And if your like me where I actually find it easlier to have 5 smaller meals thats 4hrs and 40 mins more time I'm not allowed to drink. SO I have 4hrs and 20 mins to get in the recommend 64 oz of Fluid. And since I stop drinking at leat three hours before going to bed so I'm not getting up a half dozen times to pee I'm left with about an hour to get in my fluids if I follow the recommendations. So I do drink closer to my meals and a little during. Like Robinem I find it helps a little with dryer foods as long as I sip.

It is important to get the fluids in so normally I can't during the hours I have so I make the nite time trips.

Okay .... what I want to know is the weight loss comparision between those who don't drink and those who do... I got my first fill yesterday and was CHEWED out by my doc for drinking with meals. He said I would have lost 2x as much if i was not drinking with meals.........So as of today. No more drinking with meals for me. However, it is going to be a hard habit to break.

banded 6/21/06

I am trying not to drink with meals, if it's spicy I take a sip here and there. I haven't seen anyone else mention Water loading-my doc advises to drink as much water as you can tolerate about 20 minutes before you eat to help you eat less.I don't know-I've tried it but I don't see any difference.

I CAN'T drink with my meals, will cause immediate pb and awful feeling of food backing up, yuk. I do enjoy taking a large cup of icy Water w/lemon and a splash of swtnlow with me when I leave.

Pre-band I washed my food down, I could go through 3 glasses of liquid during a meal, easily.

Right with you Sugarplum!!! Hang in there Heather, you can break that habit. Get a small timer and set it so you will know when you can drink after your meal. Drinking with meal DEFEATS THE PURPOSE! I had to pay for my operation and I'm damn sure to do everything the right way. It has been my biggest challenge also. But it's all HABIT! I drink right up to the meal, but not for at least 30 min after. Then I just sip a little until about 45 minutes to an hour after. Then I will presume drinking as usual. I have started keeping a water bottle on my night stand so when I wake in the night I drink. I have always been in the habit of drinking Water during the day like WW too. It's just all in the timing. The way I look at it. This Lap Band ensures that I get the optimal results from my good efforts. Unlike most diets, this will be better results, permanently! Hope this helps!

My Dr also recommends no drinking no drinking one hour before, during or one hour after meals.

I have never understood why some doctors say "don't drink for xxx minutes BEFORE you eat". What good does that do? There is no food in the pouch...the drink isn't going to wash anything thru. It's just going to go right down to the big stomach and help fill that puppy up.

I drink right up until I start to eat. If I'm dying for a drink during a meal, I take a baby sip or two. If you have good restriction and are eating solid food, a tablespoon of Water isn't going to wash it thru the pouch and undo all your good efforts.

Just because it's hard or not fun does not mean you can't do!! Who said this was going to be easy? If not getting to drink with a meal is the worst thing that's ever happened in our lives, we've had a pretty cushy life.

I drink up to 5 minutes before I eat per the Doctor. I don't drink during the meal and wait at least an hour after. He recommends 90 minutes, but I usually have something within 60 minutes. By doing that I can get my Water in for the day. I try to stop drinking by 8:30 so I don't make so many trips in the middle of the night.

My dr. instructions indicate that we should take tiny sips of liquid when eating to help 'liquify' the food. So, I drink maybe 1/4 cup of liquid, usually less when I eat.

That's exactly what I do. Just enough to help the food not get stuck.