Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What If Your Dr Doesn't Want To Do The Sleeve?

What if after going thru everything, my surgeon tells me that he doesn't feel that the sleeve is for me and wants me to go for the gastric bypass. Has anyone ever had this happen? How did you convince your surgeon that the sleeve is what you want? I have NO interest in the gastric bypass. I don't want my insides to be cut apart and re-routed, etc. I have been diabetic my whole life, I would like to eat a cookie some day with out being punished for it by either a needle or a toilet. I have been told over and over that I am too large for the band. I feel that my ONLY option is the sleeve. I haven't seen my surgeon yet, I am just scared that he is going to tell me that he will only do the bypass :(

Since the sleeve is often the first part of a gastric bypass surgery when done in two parts for extremely high BMI, maybe you can remind him of that. A bypass can always be performed if the sleeve isn't a successful tool for you.

Many surgeons will not do a gastric bypass with a BMI over 50. I don't think surgeons are usually the problem, it is insurance. Do you know for sure your insurance will cover it?

My sleeve was a result of me being too big for a bypass. I'm thankful now, but had not considered the sleeve beforehand.

When do you meet with your surgeon? I met with mine about 2 months in to my 6 months. I knew I wanted the sleeve. He told me it was up to me, he felt I was a good fit for any of the surgeries. I did NOT want bypass. If he had told me he wanted that for me, I would have asked why but also been prepared to explain why I wanted to sleeve (same as you, did not feel comfortable with the rerouting.

My insurance has approved the sleeve. My bestie is having an issue with her surgeon because she wants the sleeve and he wants her to have the bypass. I just couldn't imagine if my dr told me that because after researching, studying and waiting for this for 8 years I will be furious if my dr looked at me and said he didn't think I would be a good fit for the sleeve. That's why I have been wondering how often that has actually happened.

Your surgeon will probably ask you what kind of surgery you want. I think your friend should be a little wary of a surgeon that wouldn't do the kind of surgery she wants ... unless it's for medical reasons like mine was.

Congrats on being approved and your insurance covering the sleeve. Those are the biggest hurdles to overcome!

UMMMM, personally I would find another doctor or self pay, I would not do a GB if it was free or if they were giving it away. Only the GS for me, I have read too much negative info about rerouting your plumbing and the malabsorbtion issue.

I would find another doctor. You have done your research and have your mind made up. If he refuses to do the sleeve, ask him why, listen to his reasons, but definitely get another opinion.

There have been many people with high BMI's who go on to have great success with just the sleeve.

I'm like you... I don't want my intestines cut and re-routed, or any of the dumping or malnutrition.

Stand your ground. I'd also encourage my friend to find another surgeon if he keeps pushing her.

My surgeon did tell me that he thought I'd be better off with bypass. He explained why then followed that quickly with, "I can see though that you've done your research and I will do the sleeve." Hes been nothing but 100% supportive since. In your friend's case, I'd ask his reasoning and then respectfully decline were my heart truly set on the sleeve. If he still doesn't agree, it's time to find a new surgeon if possible.

The surgery group that I am going to are all great doctors. The spoke to me in a way that I could see he was pushing the GB. I went in there with the intention of getting the sleeve, and did not feel comfortable with him because of that. I asked for another appt with a different doc, and now I am feeling just fine about him. He didn't try to convince me of any particular surgery. The lapband is not for people that need to lose alot of weight, so that was out for me... not to mention, alot of people are having problems with that surgery.

As far as I understand it, the complication rate for the sleeve and GB are simiiar, but the sleeve is slightly better. If I was diabetic, I would have consider the GB because it cures the diabetes. It has it's pro's and cons. The pro's is that it's been around for 40 years so there is long term data on it. It is considered the Gold Standard in weight loss surgery....many doctors can do that surgery like the back of their hand. I would make sure my doctor was one of the best for that particular surgery. I guess it just depends on how much weight you need to lose, because the re-routing also helps you to not absorb the calories as well. I was told that there are malabsorption issues with the sleeve as well... but maybe not as much... but you still have to take the Vitamins, Iron, B 12 and Calcium everyday with the sleeve, too.... I didn't want to be rerouted either, but if I was diabetic, I would do it.

What if after going thru everything, my surgeon tells me that he doesn't feel that the sleeve is for me and wants me to go for the gastric bypass. Has anyone ever had this happen? How did you convince your surgeon that the sleeve is what you want? I have NO interest in the gastric bypass. I don't want my insides to be cut apart and re-routed, etc. I have been diabetic my whole life, I would like to eat a cookie some day with out being punished for it by either a needle or a toilet. I have been told over and over that I am too large for the band. I feel that my ONLY option is the sleeve. I haven't seen my surgeon yet, I am just scared that he is going to tell me that he will only do the bypass :(

RUN!!!!!!!! I'm married to a Doctor granted she's doesn't do these types of surgeries, but it sounds to me like your doctor may not have a good reason other then 1. ByPass billing code nets he/she more MONEY!!!!! 2. They don't know how to do a VSG. Bottom line it's your body and journey get another doctor. RUN!!!!! No I'm not a troll nor am I kidding, get a second opinion from a different doctor.

You patients better empower yourselves these doctors like MONEY!!!!!! Bypass bills out for more production income because more of the anatomy is cut during surgery. FOLLOW THE MONEY!

The surgeon makes the decision. Tell him you want sleeve and if you need more, you'll convert it to bypass

I would not use a dr that pushed me for a surgery I didnt want. My surgeon was very strict on the patient making the final decision since the patient has to live with it. Although his "surgery of choice" is bypass, he never pushed that on me. We weighed the options of Band vs Sleeve, the two procedures I was trying to decide between, together and I picked sleeve. I love that my doctor made it my choice.

If I was diabetic, I would have consider the GB because it cures the diabetes.

So does the sleeve.