Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone sorry they had the lapband surgery?

You know, I'm sort of going through the same thing you are Melodee. I'm not banded... yet... and I'm not sure that I'm actually going to get banded. At the moment, it is a monetary issue more than an issue of not wanting to be. I'm a single mom and at this point it is like... let's see.... am I going to provide my children with a home and food or am I going to be skinny.... :cry I think we all know which decision I have to make on that one.

IF my insurance covers the band or I can figure out a way to do it, I most definitely will get the band. I want it desperately. I get on here every day (almost) and I read the posts and I see all the pros and cons and I still think, after I log off, that the band is for me. My family is even starting to come around. I've been trying to get banded for over 4 years now. At first, they were completely against it. But, as they see my weight go up and my health go down they are more supportive. My friends say I'm obsessed with it, but really, I'm just more repulsed by myself when I look in the mirror. I'm ready for the life change and I'm ready to stop wanting to be invisible.

If you are not at the point that you just absolutely are unhappy with yourself, don't do it. What a shame to do it and then not have results because you are not committed to making it work... and I'm sure you have to be committed to the band. Otherwise, it will be as effective as buying that new dress you just have to have because you know every time you open your closet it will inspire you to get skinny and wear it. Unfortunately, inspiration is not necessairly the greatest drug for weightloss for most of people. I've done it on my own before. I went from a size 22 to a size 8 five years ago. I kept it off for two years. I am now a size 22 again. I know I can do it again, I just want that tool to help me keep it where it should be. It is not fun to compare my size 8 blue jeans to my size 22. Falling on your face is never fun, but doing it so publically as with your health and appearance is even less fun. :faint:

Having rambled on forever already (sorry about that everyone), I will say this. When I do get the band, I don't know that I will do a lot of participating in forums and groups. While I have gathered vital and important information in making my decision, this IS a scary place sometimes. And having been a part of this group and others, I think it is safe to say that people that have negative things to say are a lot of the time more vocal than people that don't. I am a firm believer in the premise that if you surround yourself with negative things, negative results are more likely to happen. And while there is SO much positive to this forum, I don't want to risk somebody mucking up my karma, you know? Not to mention that I'm sure I will be so happy with my new skinny me that I won't have time to sit here in front of this computer while life passes me by. :clap2:

So, in a nut shell... I won't regret the band when I get it... even if I have complications and I have to adjust to my new lifestyle... but the band was also my own idea. I've noticed that the things I have regretted most in my life are things that I did at the prompting of others. Be sure. Be completely sure. And if you do get it... be positive. Be positive that it will work for you. Just go into it with the firm faith that this tool is going to help you achieve your best you.

Good luck to you and I have to say a big thank you to all of those on here that put their personal lives on display so people like us can make up our minds to follow you back to 1derland.

:gluck: Hope

Officegirlblues: OMG you said all of that so eloquently! It means a lot to me to be able to read what you're thinking.

Yesterday and the day before I spent a lot of time on this forum. Last night I had such bad dreams about being banded that I woke up scared to death to do it.

Then reading your blog, I remember how I felt when I was just wanting it desperatly and not so afraid of possiblly getting bad complications. Firm in the knowledge that all the dieting in the world isn't going to work for me without some help, and that the LB is the one thing that makes sense.

Your analogy of buying a smaller dress because you think it will inspire you to lose weight is a good one! I don't have any misgivings about whether I will stay on the right eating plan. I totally understand about the band just being a tool to get normal again and to help me maintain.

But you reminded me of what I had heard at the first seminar about participating in the support groups, learning the way to handle every situation that you're faced with, including incorporating exercise and all that. So far, the closest I've come to participating is reading a lot on this site. It's going to take more than that, and I appreciate you reminding me that interacting with other people is part of the success plan. And also you stressed that having positive thoughts is extremely important. I believe that too.

I was afraid to come online today because I had such scary thoughts last night, and you made me really happy that I did! Thanks so much! (Don't apologize for saying too much - it really helped me when I needed it.)

Beautifully said, Officegirlblues! Regret is an emotion that generally means one wasn't prepared for whatever it was. If one has done the appropriate soul-searching, regret is impossible. Disappointment, frustration, even anger, sure, but "regret" shouldn't be one of the emotions if our eyes were open going in.

I'm so glad someone brought up the mental aspects of being banded. Having your ACTUAL hunger suppressed or reduced by the band is only part of the journey. That's why you'll see so much on LBT about the band being a tool, not a miracle. You'll also have to deal with HEAD hunger and, unfortunately, they haven't yet figured out how to make a band for the brain! LOL

Do a lot of research, a lot of soul searching, and be sure you understand that the only way the band will work for you is if you're willing to WORK for it.

Best wishes on your decision and your weight loss journey.

I am not sorry I got the band. I have had a few problems, nothing serious, but problems none the less. I am thrilled I have been able to accomplish everything that I have.

Not sorry at all, its the best thing I've ever done for myself.

My thought process was this:

Do I overeat, and eat when I'm not hungry - YES

Do I have real psycholigical issues centred around eating - NO

Will the band make me a perfect eater - NO

Will the band help me to regulate my eating - YES

Am I prepared to do the old fashioned hard yards - YES

What is it about the band that will make that easier - KNOWING THAT IF I MANAGE IT, I'M NOT LIKELY TO REGAIN. THIS TIME I'LL MAINTAIN THE LOSS.

Do I have unrealised expectations, preconceived ideas or a die hard attitude that I'm going to get to a particular weigh - NO

Am I prepared to jump on for the ride and just see how far it takes me YES

Am I prepared to be one of the "complications" - NOT REALLY, BUT I AM PREPARED TO TAKE THE RISK

I definitely do think some people make better banding candidates than others and that that is most definitely personality based. You have to learn to be moderate and liberal, there are no certainties, you wont lose x amount every week, you wont necessarily get to Y goal. If your definition of "success" is so rigid that you cant be positive about what you gain from the band even in the absence of reaching specific goals, then its probably not for you.

If however you're ready to take a step towards attaining better health, ready to learn to value yourself for things other than what you weigh or look like, ready to accept what help the band gives you personally and dig deep to find the rest then the band is most definitely for you.

Randi L........"""It's a tool, it won't fix what's wrong in your head. You have to diet, exercise, and change your lifestyle. """

That says it all......no regrets

My only complaint has been since i went to mexico to have mine done , finding a reasonable priced md to do the fills in the us has been a major task. it's not impossible but try to get this set up PRIOR to surgery to greatly reduce your stress later. YES i would do it again, River

River: I've heard that finding a place to have the fills is a fairly universal problem. I am glad you don't regret having the LB and that you would do it again. That says a lot, especially since you've had to deal with the fills problem.

My only regret is that since my surgery took place out of state, finding a fill dr. in an area close to home has been a hassle. I have made calls and left messages with no return calls, emailed others including Dr Jessee with no replies. I made the trip to Mexico alone and I don't want to have to travel like that for fills.Anyone have a suggestion for me? I live right outside of Orlando and have not had a fill yet. Thanks in advance! Eve

Ditto to everyone else. It has to be up to you and what you want. As far as regrets...I have none. This is a slow process for some of us, but atleast it is going in the opposite direction I was headed before. I'm happy with it and glad I did it. And yes, I would do it again.

I have no regrets, but I am such a "newbie". People have made some really great comments for you to read here, I can't really add much more but to say that I agree with them.....

I agree that YOU have to make the decision and be 100% behind it.

I agree that a person can eat around the band and have it not work.

I agree that it does not help emotional issues in any way, however it does give the courage to fight back with your stomach when you can't with your mind.

I agree that surgery is one tiny small step in the right direction and it requires a lot of knowledge, understanding and committment for it to work effectively.

P.S. I knew it but didn't really KNOW IT that my head hunger controlled me more than I realized until after surgery.

good luck,

Heck no I don't regret it, just wished I'd had it done sooner. But, I didn't let anyone sway me one way or another. My husband and son to this day say, ain't no way I'd do without bread, or would pb, or any of those things, and have this for the rest of my life, but, neither one of them were or have been overweight. So, it has to be a personal decision. I was self pay so I had even more to think about because when you shell out 10,000.00 that you could do whatever you want with you will do some heavy duty praying and thinking.

Good luck in your decision but read on this forum, everyday, I did and I learned sooooo much, much more than any seminar I went to.

Heck no I don't regret it, just wished I'd had it done sooner. But, I didn't let anyone sway me one way or another. My husband and son to this day say, ain't no way I'd do without bread, or would pb, or any of those things, and have this for the rest of my life, but, neither one of them were or have been overweight. So, it has to be a personal decision. I was self pay so I had even more to think about because when you shell out 10,000.00 that you could do whatever you want with you will do some heavy duty praying and thinking.

Good luck in your decision but read on this forum, everyday, I did and I learned sooooo much, much more than any seminar I went to.

Not banded yet, but I'm having a very similar experience -- my friends are always saying, "I can't imagine not drinking with meals," "I just like being able to eat more," and I'm self-pay... so any complications I'm going to have to go back and pay for.

It's a huge decision, and I'll let you know if it was the right one after I get banded!