Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery This Friday - Getting Scared

So my surgery is this Friday. I'm getting a little scared about dropping dead on the operating table. Today my son asked me why Bambi's mother died. That made me really think about all the risks. I could use some words of encouragement. Also, am I supposed to be eating differently at some point between now and the surgery? Am I supposed to be on liquid diet two days before or what? I know they sent me literature, but I don't have it handy.

First of all, don't scare yourself to death before the surgery, at least! LOL!

You're going to be fine. Everything was smooth for me, I took it nice and easy for a week, then started driving, and slowly increasing my activities.

I followed a pre-op diet for quiet a while before my surgery. Are you sure you are not supposed to be doing that? Your surgeon surely told you that. Get that stuff out and read it. There's a lot of making this a success that is up to you...please care enough about yourself to at least read your doctor's instructions.

If this surgery works for you as it has for so many others, your son will have such a healthy mom, he'll be so happy!

I see you are being banded by Dr. Sanchez. As far as I know you aren't required to do any pre-op diet until the night before. (?) But I could be wrong. I am nervous too! I am still a week and a half out but every night I lay awake with anxiety over everything that will change.

But that is why it is good to come here and get support. You will be fine! I was strongly considering Dr. Sanchez. He is excellent and has so many happy patients -- soon you'll be one too!

So my surgery is this Friday. I'm getting a little scared about dropping dead on the operating table. Today my son asked me why Bambi's mother died. That made me really think about all the risks. I could use some words of encouragement. Also, am I supposed to be eating differently at some point between now and the surgery? Am I supposed to be on liquid diet two days before or what? I know they sent me literature, but I don't have it handy.

I have never heard of a death by banding...don't worry you'll be fine. look at all the people here who have had it done, and they are still here posting! Go to Obesityhelp.com and look at all the people there...you can pick your state and you'll be amazed how you are not alone! I would go check your paperwork though, if you have a diet to follow they tell you that for a specific reason! Best Wishes!!!!

I had knee surgery the week before my banding, and I flew through the banding with absolutely no complications. I have had open heart surgery and many other surgeries so I wasn't the best candidate possible and being 64 didn't help. I have not had one single problem to date, so please put your faith in God. You will be fine and one step closer to a happier and healthier you. Good luck.

I am getting banded Friday in TJ at Bajanor. The Dr. didn't give me a preop diet to follow, but I have been dieting anyway. I had a hysterectomy in Feb and the recovery from that was long , like 7 weeks. That was my first surgery ever and they cut me from navel to neathers. I thought it was never gonna heal at the bottom of my incison. I have cheated a little on the diet, but my understanding is you diet to shrink your liver so it will be easier to move to get to the stomach. My twin explained it to me this way. Remember when mom taught us how to buy a brisket? You bend it, if it bends easily then its a good one, if it dosent then its full of fat and you don't want that one. Made sense to me explained that way. She followed South Beach Induction (first 10 days of their diet). I have been doing a basterdized version of Atkins. No suger, very little carbs, lots of protien, lots of no sugar fluids (sugar free cool aid and my beloved diet cokes), nothing fried or greasy, and no bread. The bummer is I didn't get to weigh before I started dieting, I guess I will find out how much I weigh Thursday at my pre-op visit.

I just keep telling myself this can't possibly hurt as much as the last surgery or take nearly as long to heal. My 5 year old is a basket case and begged me not to have surgery again, the last one is still fresh in her mind. I just keep reminding her how great her Antie is doing and I will be gone just a few days. Good luck sweetie, your gonna be fine, and hey we get to be bandtwins, how cool is that?:clap2:

Good heavens! Why are you worrying about dying anymore that dying during childbirth? This has become a pretty routine surgery. You aren't out for very long, maybe 20-30 minutes max. There are risks, but they are down in the 1-2% range. Don't borrow trouble.

I think if your surgery in next week, you'd better find his diet instruction pronto. You certainly don't want to take a chance on his not performing the surgery because you didn't follow his instructions. :rolleyes

I was just banded last Thursday and I did have a few waves of "what have I done to myself?" but they're gone now and I'm learning a new way of life. I'm a little sore from surgery but otherwise am managing everything else just fine and you will too.

Definitely get out your pre-op instructions and follow them. Each doctor is a little different though so don't freak out if others around here are doing something different than you are.

The BEST advice I got and can give you is to not eat anything solid the day before surgery - stick to liquids, preferably Clear Liquids. I've had several people tell me (the doctors, previous patients, etc) that eating a big meal the night before as a last hurah kind of thing is the worst thing to do. It causes more nausea and gas pain post-op. The docs also told me that they can tell who follows their advice and who doesn't by how well the patients do after surgery!

We had one girl in our group that came with her mother. Her mother encouraged her to eat - to keep up her strength - so they went out and had a large meal the night before surgery. She suffered horrible pain, nausea and vomiting post-op. There are probably a lot of people that have eaten before surgery and have had no trouble at all but why tempt fate?

You will be fine, and yes it is a little unsettling to have surgery when it's really not mandatory, but in the end you'll be very happy you did it. Best of luck to you!

Andy Liz

I was scared too and I went to Mexico without my husband but the hospital was run by Baylor Med. in Houston, everything turned out fine. They monitor your heart and everything and you are only out an hour.

I was reading about a study they did and out of about 700 patients they

didn't lose any to surgery and only had less than 2% problems afterwards

up to a year so thats pretty good! Don't be scared its really safe and stay

on liquids before surgery, it will keep your liver was swelling and getting in the way by that I mean some foods will make your liver swell a little, it just makes it easier on the doctors. They also have several drs. in there that specialize in different fields working with your dr. Hang in there and

God bless!

GonnaDoIt,

I just referred to my book on lapbanding (i stole it from the doc's office...shhhh don't tell) and it said that there was not one case in the United States of death during or right after lap banding!! Yay!!! I understand you being nervous...that is perfectly normal! Just remember these doctors aren't willing to risk their licenses in a law suit, they are gonna make sure that you can handle surgery!!!!!!

Best wishes and we will all be hearing all about it when you get home!!!!

I went back over the literature and confirmed that I do not need to be doing a special diet right now. I emailed one of the assistants for Dr. Sanchez, who also confirmed. I'm not supposed to be taking ANY medication at all, not even over-the-counter, without talking to Dr. Sanchez at this point, but other than that, no diet changes. Even so, I will listen to your advice about liquid or semi-liquid diet the day before surgery.

I was just banded August 30th. At St. Mary and Eliz. Hospital in louisville, ky. Dr. John Olsofka is my Dr. I had done the liquid diet 7 days before to help shrink the liver so the surgery would be easier! I went in the hospital at 6;00 am, Surgery was at 7;30...evidently my surgery was easy because I had forgotten to ask the Dr. one last question, I looked to the nurse and asked if I would see the DR. again before my surgery, and she said, YOU HAVE ALREADY HAD YOUR SURGERY, YOU ARE IN RECOVERY! I had no problems, and I haven't had any problems...I was home before 3;30 in the afternoon. I start my exercise program tomorrow, and I go back to work tomorrow...I am still on basicly liquid, just started cream soups...Can't believe I am looking forward to cream of wheat and mushies, but I am...so far I have lost 9 pounds. I will see the DR. for my 1st. app. after surgery on the 14th. I feel great! I am looking forward to my new more slender life. If there is any one afraid just before surgery, it's okay. I think we all feel that way! I have met some really nice people who have gone thru this already and they have really helped me feel more secure. One thing I do know LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR!! I hope to continue to recover as well as I am...Does anyone have the Book LIving with Lapband? I am trying to find it here in Louisville, but so far I've had no luck. Peace