Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

They Cancelled Monday's Surgery !!!..Due to EKG..Worried...Help!

I'm so upset..........

I was scheduled to have my Lap-Band on Monday morning (8/21). I got a call Friday afternoon from my surgon's office saying that they had cancelled the surgery because the Anesthesiologist said there was an "irregularity" in the EKG they did on Wednesday.

They want me to get clearance from a cardiologist before they do the Lap-Band. I have set up a stress test for this Thursday.

This is the first anyone has mentioned anything wrong w/ my heart! I have never had any problems in any way, nor is there any genetic bent in our family. We are Scottish and have long-living tickers.

Has anyone out there been asked to see a cardiologist before the Lap-Band?

I was wondering if the anesthesialogist though I was having a gastric bypass and if that made a difference....

I'm frustrated that I did everything necessary to get to this point. The research, tthe insurance denial (we have a policy exclusion), the psyc visits, the pre-surgery weight loss, the support group meetings, the dietician, the surgeon, all the lab tests, the x-rays, the upper-GI series, the physical thereapist, pre-surgery stuff...Also, I'm a self-pay and the added expense is something I hadn't anticipated.....and it is only within 72 hours of surgery that they now come up w/ this.....ugggh!

It is ironic to me that I'm doing this to improve my health...and now they can't do the band ...due to my health!

Does anyone have heart problems and still got the Lap-Band? Any ideas/suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated !!

Thank you....

Hi Born,

Wow, what a bummer. I am self pay as well and a 8 days away from being banded so I can feel your pain...financially as well. Maybe your insurance will cover the cardiologist and you'll only have the co-pay. My insurance covered ALL of my pre-op test and the prescriptions (I paid the co-pay)

You asked about the cardiologist. My doctor also requires all patients to see a cardiologist AND have an EKG done along with all those other reports you listed. My cardio report came back with something called (can't remember the exact name) minor something reflex but he said it was nothing to worry about. I just need to be on anti-biotics before having any dental work.

Well then I went in to see the surgeon for my final pre-op and he said my EKG or the Lung xray showed some type of problem with my lungs. He proceed to tell me I needed to lose weight, as if that wasn't the reason I was in his office get prescriptions for surgery. He has me inhaling into the plastice tube trying to get the thingy upto the top to strengthen my lungs before surgery. Maybe that'll be all you need as well.

Good luck and I hope they get you rescheduled soon.

With any surgery your heart has to be ok, so it wouldn't matter with the RnY either. It could be nothing, but they have to get it double checked. They LAST thing they want to deal with is heart failure while in surgery!

Good luck!

Just goes to show your surgeon and his medical team are really paying attention to your health and welfare. No harm in that but definately harm if they didn't. It may not be anything at all other than an electrode that was loose etc. Always best to play it safe and see a cardiologist otherwise your lap-band surgery could of turned into something more extreme. If you haven't had problems in the past, you should be fine and have the surgery rescheduled in no time. Good luck with your cardiology visit!

I had to have EKG clearance before my band. I was really worried they would cancel my surgery because from the time of the first EKG with the cardiac clearance and the pre-op EKG there was additional changes, But since they had the clearance they didnt cancel it. It said at some point with in that month could have possibly had some sort of heart attack which I think I would have noticed. I am 30 and have had some birth defects so they think its possible the EKG could have been reading scar tissues from a previous surgery I had or maybe I really did have something going on I dont know about yet. Last I knew my total cholesterol is 135. Since the EKG was a paliminary and all the results are not even in yet I am going to have to call on Monday and see whats going on with it just to be sure if I need to make a trip to the cardiologist. Just extra stuff to take care of.

I have a minor mitral valve prolapse, that did not interfere with my surgery, they did however pick it up on my tests, and looked through my medical chart, for guidance, and my history of care with it. I too pre-treat for amy dental work. I was born with this condition, and it has never worsened in any way. My DH on the other hand, never had any issues with his heart, but began getting palpitations, and was short of breath, and they found the same condition in him, mitral valve prolapse, resulting in valve failure. He had surgery to repair it just over 2 weeks ago. Blood clots are often a problem with this type of heart problem, and blood clots can be life changing if not life ending. It is sad that you worked so hard to get to this point only to be slowed, but it could be that in another way altogether that the band will save your life. I will keep all good thoughts and prayers that it is nothing serious, and that your surgery will soon be on schedule. Good Luck!

Kat

I can't imagine being so close to surgery and THEN getting the call it's cancelled. I bet you are heartbroken. I'm sure there is a side of you that understands this is for the best and your surgeon is looking out for your well being. It's kind of like a pancake....there are 2 sides.

For what it's worth, I had an irregular heart beat and discovered through my PCP before surgery. My lapband surgeon would not schedule the date until ALL tests were complete including the stress test. I passed with flying colors. I'll try to find the thread for you b/c it has a lot of good info.

Consider this one more hoop to jump through. Hang in there and I wish you the best on your stress test.

so sorry to hear your news. i'm also scheduled for surgery on the 21st, so i know how it would feel to get that news at such a late date.

i had to have an ekg and an echocardiogram as part of my pre-op testing. the ekg went fine, but they had a very difficult time getting the echo to show a clear picture...presumably because of my body condition. had to repeat the test with a big, burly man. i was literally bleeding after the test was done, but we got a picture, dangit. and it was a heck of lot cheaper than a stress test.

but the first time the test failed, i really felt like giving up. the whole road to the surgery, for me, felt like it had been lined with bombs and delays and more and more tests to do. i seriously started to feel like maybe i just wasn't meant to have this surgery.

but i realize now i was just reacting out of frustration.

your surgeon just wants to be sure that this will be safe for you. keep the faith, and you'll get a new date shortly.

good luck!

Thanks you all so much for the encouraging words.

I know that the halting of the surgery is to be assured that there will be no complications during the procedure, but , dang it, it sure does hurt emotionally. Sort of like rollercoster.

Am keeping a positive attitude. This WILL happen...!!!

Thank you all again. It is like having a bunch of sisters to talk to!

This happened when my mom was going to have foot surgery and it turned out to be NOTHING at all. Don't worry yourself yet! It's probably nothing - but the doctors just think better safe than sorry. I have a heart condition (SVT) and I have lots of PVC's (irregular beats) that show up on an EKG - it's no big deal, but it still causes me to have "abnormal" EKG's,,,, but I had surgery just fine, so don't worry!

Born to Loose,

Its just standard procedure...not to worry...they just want to make sure that they can bring you back from being put under. Your not really cancelled...its prob just postponed...just that day was cancelled. My heart ultrasound came back different than the one I had last year I am still cleared for surgery...the doc thinks its from my sleep apnea. Your going to be fine...try not to worry.

I have to be cleared by a cardiologist also. Good luck to you. I am also diabetic and although my Doc says I should pass they are going to play safe.

Hopefully you will get the Green Light. Its always something but things work out.

I had an abnormal EKG too and I found out 1 week before surgery and was able to get the cardiac clearance before my date so I didn't have to cancel but it was scarey. My cardiologist said my stress and scho were normal and my heart is healthy, some people just have an abnormal EKG. However an anastesiologist (sp?) wont put you under without clearance.