Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Extremely Nervous About Upcoming Sleeve Surgery On 5/21/12.

I scheduled for surgery and find myself becoming extremely nervous more and more as the day approaches. I have been preparing myself for a year feeling very confidence for the most part. Now the thought of having my a large part of my stomach removed is really starting to hit me. I've been crying and so nervous I can't sleep. Has anyone else felt extremely nervous close to the surgery date? I know it will be worth it in the end, but this nervousness hit me hard all of a sudden :-(.

I just made my appointmet yesterday for May 30th. I didn't get any sleep last night either. I know, like you said, that it will help in the long run. I am hoping to be off blood pressure meds and get my sugars down. But, the same thought hit me....it's not reversible and so final. I've been freaking out a little since I left the doc yesterday. Maybe some people here can give us advice!

Hi~

I have not had the surgery yet and I am also nervous. I look at it this way. I am doing something to permanently change the way I eat and look at food, which has been an issue for me all my life. I think it is perfectly normal to be nervous about something like this. It is a HUGE step towards a healthier, happier you. As for it being permanent...unless you plan on gaining the weight back, that shouldnt be an issue. I hope that you can calm yourself down and think of the positive things that will come from this surgery. Remember why you decided to have the surgery to begin with. You will be fine and we are all here to give you the advice and support that you may need through your journey. Good luck!!

Corinna

Everybody goes through nerves right before surgery. It's normal. Just remind yourself that you have made this decision because you think it's in the best interests of your long term health and that you have picked the best doctor for you. If that's not enough, come here and look at some of the inspiring stories of people who have lost weight and met their goals: Stronger_Diva, Sleeve 4 Me, Coops, Blackberry juice, PDXMan, Kemo46, MassIndex, etc. Their stories and pictures really helped me remember what I wanted from this surgery! :)

I can completely relate to what you are going thru. It's still fresh in my mind, since I just had my revision on the 4th. (two weeks tomorrow) Our imaginations are such overactive lil buggers. I had imagined all sorts of bad things, when I should have been imagining all the good things. My mind was doing a lot of "what if's" (which by the way I have started a petition to remove from the english language :o )

I know it isn't easy but try and come to peace with your decision and feel good about all the wonderful things on your horizon.

BTW After I got to the hospital, spoke with all the doctors and nurses and had my pre-op tests I calmed down a lot.

A doctor told me before surgery "if you aren't nervous..... then you aren't normal".

Big hugs to you all and good luck with your upcoming surgeries!!!!

I'm joining CalicoLea's petition, but I'm adding the word "only" to her petition! :)

I scheduled for surgery and find myself becoming extremely nervous more and more as the day approaches. I have been preparing myself for a year feeling very confidence for the most part. Now the thought of having my a large part of my stomach removed is really starting to hit me. I've been crying and so nervous I can't sleep. Has anyone else felt extremely nervous close to the surgery date? I know it will be worth it in the end' date=' but this nervousness hit me hard all of a sudden :-(.[/quote']

I just had surgery on Monday and up until Monday, I was ready to drop out. Everything happened so fast, I am glad everything happened so far. Do your research and it will lead you in the right direction. I was diabetic before the surgery, I am no longer on pills after the surgery. You have to weigh the pros and cons.

It's okay to have doubts before surgery. It is elective surgery so you have the choice. You can choose to something that will forever change your life for the better! :D Is it easy? Nope! Not at first. My first 3 months were a bit rough but each day got better and better and staying on this board helped tremendously! This will be the best decision you can make for yourself! Soon you will be laughing at all those diet commercials! :P

I just had surgery on Monday and up until Monday, I was ready to drop out. Everything happened so fast, I am glad everything happened so far. Do your research and it will lead you in the right direction. I was diabetic before the surgery, I am no longer on pills after the surgery. You have to weigh the pros and cons.

Our minds confuse us more sometimes because we think crazy things, we think the worst. I know when i think that way instart to wonder, maybe its a sign i shouldnt do it, etc etc. i havent been sleeved yet but im interviewing drs and im second guessing myself all day. Its terrbile what my mind and thoughts are doing to me. Im driving myself crazy.

Oh boy - we are all in the same spot. My surgery is 6/4 and I go in and out of wanting to do it or not do it. But, I didn't go through all this testing for nothing and while I'm doing the low carb diet as part of my pre-op diet and have lost weight with it I know without the surgery I couldn't maintain it. For goodness sakes yesterday in Rite Aid I was starting at the M and M's.. Anyway, this is a good thing for me to do and I know the Dr I have is a good Dr so I will hope for the best. I do think though that we get nervous for the outcome but also for fear of failure - what if I do all this and don't lose weight. I think in the end that's my biggest worry. Its sure is not the easy way out despite what people (who have not had a weight problem) say.

I was a total wreck bf surgery. I had doubts when waiting to go into the or. Even after for the first 24 hours I kept saying what have I done? But I am now only 4 days out and feeling really encouraged. I feel better every day, barely nauseous. And ready to concour this weight demon.

I was a total wreck bf surgery. I had doubts when waiting to go into the or. Even after for the first 24 hours I kept saying what have I done? But I am now only 4 days out and feeling really encouraged. I feel better every day, barely nauseous. And ready to concour this weight demon.

I keep thinking that as scared as I am there is a reason why I have over a 5 yr record of BMI at 40 or more. Obviously what I have been doing to lose weight isn't working so its time to do something different.

Congratulations to all of us who have been sleeved or yet to have our operations!!! My surgery is in 2 weeks and I am also going up and down but I'm mostly up and think of the things that will give me pleasure again such as exercising, shopping for clothes and wearing jeans. I can't wait!! I am feeling excited about never having to "diet" again - think of all the time and money we will have for other things!

The concerns of my family is what affects me the most. They are concerned about the possible complications and what if I don't make it out. I just been praying for peace and a safe surgery/recovery. I know I've been frustrated with how long I've been battling my weight. I want to take a chance on improving my health. I know that surgery is a tool Not a cure all for sure. I will just continue to pray and ask my family to do the same. My anxiety is starting to get the best of me though.

My feelings about this surgery - it is MAJOR surgery. If you are questioning your commitment to why you wanted to have this surgery - postpone it until you are committed. It is a major surgery for your body to go through. It is a very safe surgery in the hands of a skilled surgeon. The differences of how and what you eat are very stark. I was almost excited to have my surgery and had fully committed to the new way I am eating and drinking. I do not regret my decision at all - I was even self pay and decided it was so worth it to change my life for the better. Stay on the board, learn how other's are coping with their new lives, and see if you can get behind the decision you made. It will make recovery and the hardship of about the first 6 weeks much easier....knowing you are changing your life the way you want to change it. Postponing for a month might give you the excitement and commitment you need to suceed with the surgery.