Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sometimes I Luv The Forums Sometimes Not So Much!

I can totally see how the forums can confuse you and make you second guess yourself, but DON'T!!! Your sleeve will make it impossible for you to overeat and, as with anything new, there is a learning curve. Immediately following the surgery, I was obsessively weighing myself--can't remember the last time I saw the numbers on the scale actually going down. Heck, to be honest, I had to buy a scale preop because before I began this journey, I did not want to know what I weighed. I realized that sooner or later the weight loss was going to normalize and I was setting myself up for disappointment with my frequent weigh-ins, so I cut myself down to a weekly weigh in.

Between week 1 & 2, I saw "only" a 6/10 of a pound drop in my weight and FREAKED. I contacted my nutritionist the next morning and, after providing her detailed menus from the week, she determined that I was way below my calorie level thereby causing my metabolism to slow way down. She also explained that I had the sleeve, not a RNY, and I would not see huge, rapid weight loss, but would instead see a steady progression--as long as I ate within the guidelines given to me (Protein and calories) and drank my Fluid and did not graze. She reminded me that this was a tool, not a magic bullet, and I was 100% in control of my destiny.

Needless to say, I'm back on track and know that I am the Captain of my ship and Master of my destiny and with this wonderful tool, I will achieve my goals and you will, too!!!

Honestly, I think 99% of people lose lots of weight. Yeah, if you are 350 lbs, you have to make peace with the idea that you probably won't make it to 110 lbs, but you will certainly lose way more with the sleeve than you ever would on your own, and with WAY less effort. Even for people who complain that they never reached their goal weight, you will usually notice that they've still lost staggering amounts of weight. The ~1% who fail are comprised of people whose doctors did a crappy job (leaving too much stretchy tissue from the stomach), who have major emotional issues that lead them to give up on themselves and load up on slider foods and liquid calories, and people who are cursed with a very slow metabolism.

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened.

-- Mark Twain

If I had my life to live over, I would perhaps have more actual troubles but I'd have fewer imaginary ones.

-- Don Herold

Let us be of good cheer, remembering that the misfortunes hardest to bear are those which will never happen.

-- James Russel Lowell

People gather bundles of sticks to build bridges they never cross.

-- Unknown

Some of your hurts you have cured,

And the sharpest you still have survived,

But what torments of grief you endured

From the evil which never arrived.

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Some men storm imaginary Alps all their lives, and die in the foothills cursing difficulties which do not exist.

-- Edgar Watson Howe

How much pain they have cost us, the evils which have never happened.

-- Thomas Jefferson

There are people who are always anticipating trouble, and in this way they manage to enjoy many sorrows that never really happen to them.

-- Josh Billings

There are more things, Lucilius, that frighten us than injure us, and we suffer more in imagination than in reality.

-- Seneca

My life has been full of terrible misfortunes most of which never happened.

-- Michel de Montaigne

Pick one.

:) :) :)

:)_

A scarier what if would be...what if you let your fears get the best of you and miss this opportunity to change your life. Just reading about so many success stories, and that most people had the same fears before surgery have helped me get past those fears. My surgery is this Thursday and although I know it wont be easy, I KNOW I am going to be successful. Like my user name says, this is my last chance, and I refuse to let myself mess it up. I sure hope you can get past your fears and that you will have great success.

I KNOW I am going to be successful. Like my user name says, this is my last chance, and I refuse to let myself mess it up. I sure hope you can get past your fears and that you will have great success.

WTG Sharon...... that's the right attitude!!! Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches