Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To be Banded 8/21

Hey Wilsonjw,

Are you scared of the operation? not ready to give up food? Haven't had surgery before? I am 12 days pre-op and I am a bit nervous, anxious and excited all at once. I can't say that I would get nervous enough to cancel.

I also have a mild anxiety disorder. I have feelings like you are having now but over regular things and I was prescribed Ativan .5 mg. Its not something you take everyday just when you are having an attack. It is similar to Xanax. Maybe you could get your Dr. to prescribe an anti-anxiety medication if you know you want to go through with it, but you are just having a hard time coping with it.

Need some Support , Having second thoughts , going through alot of emotions right now:phanvan

What are your second thoughts about?

I am also getting banded on 8/21. Other than being a little hungry, I'm not having second thoughts though. I think it's perfectly normal to feel anxious during a life-changing event. Hang in there.

PatU

I think everyone has moments of nervousness. I remember posting the night before and my mother getting mad at me (she didn't think I should do it if it made me nervous).

I also remember minutes of wondering - why did I do this? But they all pass and life is better, Im healthier, etc.

Are you nervous about the surgery itself or how it will affect your eating habits and life afterwards? I think a lot of people get nervous right before any type of surgery, not just wls. Just remember, you have probably done a great deal of research on this and I am sure you made a well-informed decision to have the lap band. You are doing this so you can live a healthier, happier and longer life. I promise you, you will not regret having this done. I am just 4 months out and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Perhaps if you post what specific things are making you nervous, we can better help you address those issues.

Tomorrow is your big day, and we will pray that all goes well for you. Please make sure to come back and let us know how everything went for you.

You're going to do great. It's natural to be nervous. Good luck and update us when you get home.

It's normal to feel nervous/anxious... it probably has to do with "fear of the unknown"... the little details about post surgery that worry you.

My surgery was 10 months ago, and I remember the feelings... what kept me going was reading the supportive posts on LBT. I asked questions like "what did you wear" on the day of surgery, I made sure I had purchased everything on my Dr's list for liquid phase. I was probably more worried that I would feel starved!

After my surgery, I was sore for about a week and I did ask myself "what did I do?" - It was more discomfort than anything. What suprised me is that I was not "hungry"... instead, I had to remember to sip broth every few hours. Your appetite will probably not return for 2-3 weeks after, about that time my tummy below the band began to growl nightly because it was trying to get used to the idea of no food. That passed too after a short while.

Remember, we're all here for support.... I took it for granted for a few busy months, but I'm convinced that I get more information and ideas than I could find out elsewhere - so I've made a commitment to myself to come to LBT each day and learn something new that will help me with my journey. And hopefully the next 50 lbs will not be so difficult!

All the best,

Karla

I went thru that too...dont know if it is exactly what your going thru, but I felt very nervous...my main concern was the feeling of being selfish and what if something happens to me during surgery and I myself chose to have this done, i have taken myself away from my family and my son for selfish reasons...I was so afraid of something going wrong..I had myself all worked up over nothing...This is the least evasive WLS and everything will go great for you...You have done all your homework on preparing and knowing what to expect...Its normal to be nervous before any type surgery

Yes, feeling of being selfish, also just about the potential risks and complications involved, am I just opening another door to let these things be a higher percentage to myself other than just leaving things alone. I guess it really is hitting me when you have to sign informed consent over all the complications and risks involved with the surgery.

Let me reassure you that these are all normal feelings...Alot of us have had the last minute jitters and the feeling of selfishness...You are going to do great!!