Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Bandsters

MOM, weighing in at -2 this week. Almost hit -3 but thought I'd save that for next week :) Sorta depends on how I hold my tongue or lean on the scale....wish I could find a scale that doesn't do that! I just try to stand on it the same way each week, and realize that a 1 or 2 pound fluctuation can be so many things. Onederland is 7 pounds away....it's hard to believe. Does anyone else have difficulty believing that they are actually losing weight? I see it but have not internalized it. No complaints though!

Just got back from my latest check-up. The doctor was very impressed. I'm down 51 lbs since my surgery (9/16/06) and have yet to have a fill. I'm taking half the BP dosage I was at surgery time. I also only need to take reflux meds every other day. I've gone from 48/50 waist to 44. from 4x/3x shirts to comfortably in a 2x.

every thing has been going great for me. I have a ton more energy to do things with my wife and to play with my 2yr old. My performance at work has improved and my total outlook on life is better.

I've had tremendous support from my family, freinds and co-workers. I felt compelled on Thanksgiving to send a letter to a few freinds expressing how much their support has meant to me.

I don't post much here but I do read a lot and many of you have been a great inspiration for me the past few months.

Wow CoryW way to go! Maybe you should give us a few pointers on what you are doing, cause you are doing something right! Congratulations!

CoryW: Way to go!! Keep up the good work. So glad you shared your success with us.

That was a great thing to have thanked your friends for their support on Thanksgiving. Wish I had spent more time thinking of that instead of pumpkin Pie. I am sure your friends are very thankful to have you in their lives too.

Congratulations to you and here's to your good health!

I am feeling a little off balance today. Someone sent me a website about the mini-gastric bypass. On the website, which was sponsored by a doctor that does mini-gastric bypass, there was a whole section on the lapband. He said that a lot of doctors in Europe have stopped doing the LB becuase of poor results and complications after the first few years. He stated that the US is 10 years behind Europe since they were so late in getting the LB approved. He removes a lot of lapbands and then does the MGB on them. The MGB takes about an hour and supposedly is very safe and reversal. Has anyone heard of this? I just feel like crying, because even though I am doing relatively well so far, I can see that there are definite disadvantages, like having to get fills (maintance) and PBing, sliming, etc. This was such a hard decision and now to find out that there might be a better procedure out there is very frustrating. I guess that I should stop worrying about what could have been and deal with what is. I always knew that something better would come a long in the future, but I didn't think there was anything better out there now. Well, I'm not trying to depress anyone else, I just feel the need for some support, and my DH is probably getting a little tired of this subject.

Karey, please don't be concerned about the stuff that Dr. Rutledge says about lap-band. Here's one thread where he was discussed:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/anti-lapband-website-t25351.html?t=25351&highlight=Dr.+Rutledge

The mini-gb *may* be a viable alternative to lap-band or other wls, but if it's so much better, then why aren't more doctors doing it?

Tami

Thanks for helping the rest of us learn more about the mini-gastric bypass. I would not be interested in anyone tampering with my intestines. I met a woman in the hospital when my mom was there who had been in the hospital for a month and didn't know how much longer she would have to be there. She was skinny after having had a gastric bypass, and as a result, almost died. She had gone through tremendous pain and it was touch and go for a long time for her. Just because someone terms it "mini" doesn't mean it is an insignificant procedure. Maybe they call it "mini" only because it is not as complicated as the original gastric bypass surgery.

I had my 3rd fill today and I have high hopes that this is just what I needed!

Tami: You are a sweet heart! Thanks for finding that link for me. I was going to google MGB and see what I could find out. I guess I'm still coming to terms with everything. I hope that long term, if we follow our drs instructions we'll be healthy, slim and in shape. Here's to success! Thanks, again.

:eek:

Of course, there's always the possibility that they'll come up with an even better solution for obesity, but for right now, I'm convinced that lap-band is the best choice. And if they do come up with the miracle pill that my mother always told me would someday be invented, at least the lap-band is reversible!

Tami

I am checking in for weigh in and this week I lost 3 pounds! I have even been out to eat, but I am making good choices when I go. The worst thing I have gotten on the run is a Wendy's chili. I need that Fiber, lol.

Well, ladies and gents, the verdict is in. I am tight, restricted, hopefully on my way to skinnyville! Tried to eat some salmon salad yesterday the day after my fill, was only able to eat a couple of bites. I didn't chew enough of course and ended up PB'ing (not to be gross, but all over myself in the car after picking up my daughter from school), that will teach me to carry bag at all times. I'm not sure if I am too tight yet, I might be, but I'll try harder today with the chewing and see what happens. The PB yesterday wasn't pretty, I really don't want to have that happen again. Also, seems this morning when I took a sip of semi-cold Water, it hurt going down, but the hot coffee is working just fine. I'm afraid to eat, I will stick with some Protein Shakes for the first half of the day and try something later on. I would hate to have to go and get an unfill for fear that I will just loosen up anyway. My first fill only kept me restricted for about a week, so I will give this a week. I lost 4lbs since Monday, which I'm sure is just water, but I'll take it. I'm shocked after all the damage that I did before this second fill with the eating of naughty foods (mostly of the sweet variety) that I didn't gain 10lbs, but, thankfully, that didn't happen. Anyway, just wanted to report that I am tight, tight, tight!

Well, ladies and gents, the verdict is in. I am tight, restricted, hopefully on my way to skinnyville! Tried to eat some salmon salad yesterday the day after my fill, was only able to eat a couple of bites. . Anyway, just wanted to report that I am tight, tight, tight!

On my 2nd fill I was so tight that I kept PBing, but after the swelling went down about 3 days later I was fine. I sometimes get so hungry I forget to chew and end up doing it all over again, but I am at my sweet spot.

I am so happy for you, 4 pounds is a lot to lose!

Erin