Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Room For Veggies/full Feeling Down The Road

I am 6 weeks out. I keep reading over and over "eat Protein then veggies". I'm sorry but its a struggle just to get the protein in! Absolutely no room for veggies. I'm guessing/hoping this will change over time?

I'm worried I'm not eating very healthy. I do take a Vitamin. I have a 30g Protein shake for Breakfast and then try to get the rest of my protein in by eating greek yogurt, string cheese, chicken, sliced turkey, or fish throughout the day. Is that okay? My doctors info discusses fruits/veggies/small amount of grains but there is barely enough room for the protein!

I feel content as it is....I just worry about not eating anything but protein type foods. :-/

One more question....for those of you who are a lot further out, does the "normal" feeling of being full eventually return? Right now, I only know I'm full because either I get the hiccups or chest tightness.....not the "thanksgiving full" feeling I had expected to feel. I don't know if it has something to do with the nerves being disturbed during the surgery or what. I'm just curious if I will ever get that standard full feeling I used to get. (and yes, I know we should only be eating until satisfied! I am just wondering!)

Well, my understanding is that "thanksgiving full" feeling is not actually full, it is overfull. So, if that is true, I never want to feel that feeling again myself.

Hope that helps.

Nope, you don't want to be thanksgiving full, but the full feeling becomes more normal. Basically, as you heal, the swelling in your sleeve goes down and allows you to put more food into the sleeve. Once you get to that point, you'll start eyeballing or measuring your food so that you get your Protein first and then a little veggies. There's nothing wrong with using your fruits/veggies as your snack either. Lots of us do that.

I'm 8 months out and still can't do much in the way of raw veggies or fruits, but I can eat 1/4 cup of steamed veggies, broccoli being my first choice with collard greens a close second. I'd put collards first, but I hate cooking them! :)

It will become easier to get veggies in as you go along. Just keep working your sleeve and you'll get there. :)

It wasn't until my two-month post-op appointment with my dietician and bariatrician that they suggested that I start trying to incorporate more vegetables. They said that at that point I should start to try to focus more on "balanced" meals than just Protein, but it would be a slow process. The caveat to this was that I had a dream recovery and I haven't found anything yet that I couldn't keep down!

As far as full. I've had the full sensation since the beginning. So, I can't help you with that one!

I'll tell you, sometimes, when I'm eating something super yummy I will go from "satisfied" to the Thanksgiving/stuffed/overfull feeling. I sometimes get down on myself about it, but then I really look at just how much I've eaten and its still less than a cup of food total. I'm very careful most of the time only eat until satisfied because I don't want to mess up my sleeve, but we all have moments of weakness!

I know if I was ever "Thanksgiving Full" I would throw up!!! :wacko: I know how bad it feels to over eat a little...

I am pre op and following a 1200 calorie plan provided by my dietitian. I average between 50 and 90 grams of Protein per day.

When I do the math and I eat 600 calories post op, that is only 25 - 45 grams of Protein per day. I guess I worry about eating mostly protein at every meal for a solid year? I am not sure I can stomach that.

However I have read on this forum there are people who tried to eat a balanced food.

At this stage of the game (4 weeks out) it is tough to get the veggies in. I am pretty sure there will be more room in my new tummy later. I did add a V8 fusion to my liquids, it's one serving of veggies and one serving of fruit for 50 calories. I eat cottage cheese with canned pears/peaches or pineapple in juice quite often for breakfast. I had a bit of creamed spinach with some talapia...but it is difficult. I have every confidence we will master this over time!!

I'm 8 months out and still can't do much in the way of raw veggies or fruits, but I can eat 1/4 cup of steamed veggies, broccoli being my first choice with collard greens a close second. I'd put collards first, but I hate cooking them! :)

Well, yesterday I had my first veggies....overly steamed broccoli, mashed with a fork. I was able to eat 1/2 cup though...hope thats not odd. They went down great! I ate them about 2 hours before I had my "dinner" chicken. I can't believe how good it felt to eat something other than my standard Protein foods. I think the key for me will be making them a separate meal or something until my stomach "relaxes" enough to get a decent amount of Protein in with some vegetables.

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, I never have room for veggies at a meal unless I eat them first, but I only do that at restaurants. 95% it is Protein first with no room left, and veggies for Snacks. I am 8 months out.