Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 More Week..... And I Am Freaking Out!

Holy crud... 1 week from today (5/15) is my surgery. I am totally freaking now. I am scared of the pain, scared of the actual surgery - people die in surgery! I have had surgery before but not something "elective" so to speak. I know I NEED to lose the weight and dieting doesn't work long term for me so the sleeve is a great option. I read peoples postings abut how they thought about this for years and had to do all this "pre" stuff..... Prior to 2/17/12 I was one of those people who thought bariatric surgeries were the easy way out!! Boy has the opinion changed!!!! Maybe the fact that 3 months after my seminar on the different procedures I am actually going to be having one is my issue. I am thankful that my insurance isn't stubborn on this and I don't have to go out of the country for surgery but its just gone sooooooo fast.

I was telling a friend I truly feel like I have the "devil and angel" on my shoulders... ones saying DO IT!!! Best thing EVER!! Its what you NEED to live!!..... the other says "BUT BUT BUT"

I am totally thankful that my nutritionist told me about this site!!

I'm having mine next week too the 15th...I'm actually looking at the clock now thinking this time next week i'll be under and getting sliced up.

My nurse told me today that it's very normal and i have to believe her as she had it done also... I'm going to start packing my luggage this weekend, they are going to think i'm moving in! :) But i want to be compfy and have soothing things around me..

Hi Shilo! I am getting sleeved on May 15th as well! :D I definitely have a "devil and angel" on my shoulder as well. lol I completely understand what you mean. From what i've read on here that is pretty normal. Many people have these kind of feelings so I know that in the end our Angel will win!!! We can do it!

I have never had any type of surgery and am extremely nervous BUT I know that this is what I need to do to get my weight issues straightened out! I finally feel like I'm taking control of my health and my life and I can't wait for next tuesday!!!

Keep on checking out this site! There is so much good information on here!

Congratulations! Your fears are normal. I think we all probably went through that a bit. This is actually a pretty simple surgery. Blood loss is minimal. I think the hardest part for me was the shoulder pain from the gas. But for me, that was only on and off for a couple of days. Also, the gurgling sounds that came from my stomach when I would lay down at night.

I've lost almost 35 pounds now and I know I could have never done this with WW! I have no regrets! Keep checking in on the site. This is where you'll get the best encouragement and advice.

Hi everyone, your feelings are very normal. I was sleeved on 3/29 and I was terrified. I had so many doubts, and you are exactly right...you do have the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. I'm not trying to preach but the devil will do anything to get in the way of something good in your life. Don't believe his lies. Complications are rare. This surgery is a life saver. It's really not that bad. The pain is managable. Try to think positive. Just know that what your feeling is completely normal. Good luck and keep us posted.

I've been very fortunate in that my process has gone very smoothly. Surgery 8 days ago, I made sure I was up and walking that day and many many times! I even did some light stretches (arms up and side to side, kept moving to keep the gas moving) I did not have much of gas pains for long and it was not bad for me. The second day, I did have trouble even looking at anything sweet so I just asked them to only bring me Water, and chicken broth for that day as I was throwing up at the sight of sweets. Had to make myself walk that afternoon. 3rd day was fine, kept walking and was sent home. By day 5 I was out of the house for short errands then day 6 and 7 I've been up and about with no problems at all.

Move all your body will let you on that first day (with the IV I was up every hour or so anyway so I just took care of business then walked the halls each time)

My surgery is on Monday (14th) and I completely understand your misgivings! I'm in the same boat, rowing with you!

I KNOW I need this surgery. I have struggled with my weight my entire life. I am 42 and with a family history of high blood pressure, diabetes and breast cancer, my good health is going to explode into multiple co-morbidities in the next 10 years if I don't do something NOW!

I'm not worried about the pain from the surgery (it will be temporary).

I'm more worried about the small yet very real chance that something will go wrong and I'll die either on the table or within a few days of the surgery. As I'm going out of country (Mexico) and alone (my husband can't get away to come with me, as much as he wants to!), I don't want to leave my husband with a mess to take care of if I'm suddenly gone!

I know it's irrational, since the odds of anything going wrong are so very small. My health is very good right now, and I've chosen a top-notch surgeon. But it's still keeping me up at night! Sigh.

I'll probably look back on this in a year and laugh. I'm going through with it..........I just have to get there and on the O.R. table (wish time would move faster!) so I can stop worrying!

Do what you can to make sure things will run smoothly in your absence. Remember why you chose VSG and the surgeon you're going to have do the surgery. Have faith that things will go well. 99% of the time, it's all over in a couple of hours, plus a couple of weeks of restricted diet pre and post op. After that, it's real life ramped up on energy and weight loss!

I was convinced I'd die, but decided I'd rather die trying to control what I could than die because I couldn't control my eating. I have an aunt who has had over 20 surgeries related to her obesity. I decided I'd rather have ONE surgery than 20.

Good luck to you all! :)

My surgery is this Thursday! Im excited!!! I know i'm worth this! Doing it for me, it will all take care of its self! Just keep in mind how fantabulous you will feel in 6 months!