Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The "infamous" Question, "so How Much Have You Lost?"

Ok, so I've lost a lot of weight and yes I'm proud of it. I appreciate the compliments, but twice now I've been pushed to answer, "so how much have you lost?" My standard answer is "a lot", and I stick to it. Today marks the 2nd time I've been asked again and even a 3rd time, "how much?" This last person was a Senior Director at work in another dpt during a conversation. She is a nice lady and I know she was happy for me, but I just came back without flinching, say, "a lot and that's all I'm going to say". I only tell the closest of my friends the actual #, as it really isn't anyone else's business if I choose not to say. The 1st lady said, "I want to know so I can congratulate you". In my head I was like, "you don't need to know that to congratulate me." I don't need people whispering, "you know how MUCH she lost...???" I've lost 137# so far and still a few more to go. Even though I was heavy and looked it, I have always been pretty muscular so it is misleading to people how much I always weigh- even now. People guess me to be 10 to 15 # lighter than what I am. That's good, but I guess I'm not angry, just sort of venting cuz I don't get why people think they are entitled to know something like this.

I like your vent. I've been thinking the same thing lately. I try to be vague but some people are stubborn, right? I'm in the same boat where people have no idea that I had nearly 100 pounds to lose, but it still gets kinda tough.

Wow I guess I'm kind of different. Im always excited to say how much I've lost especially to the ones who need help but to the skinnies you are right, it is none of their business because they are just being plain nosey lol. Like what's my weight loss got to do with you?

I don't mind telling people how much I've lost . . . I'm glad I decided to talk about my surgery because there are a couple women at work who are considering VSG because of me. :) I think everyone is different though, and people shouldn't pressure you to reveal the # if you're not comfortable with it. People can be so nosy!!

Or how about the ones that say, "you can't eat that" how the hell do they know what I can and cannot eat. I have actually had people stop talking to me at work over the amount of weight I have lost. Oh well then they were not my true friend.

Yeah, it probably wouldn't be a big deal, except that as hard as it might be to believe the majority of the people in my building fall into the skinny, average or mildly overweight category, but only 1 or 2 people morbidly obese and I don't have any occasion to speak or work with them. The only exception is our call center which they are also on different floors and my work never crosses paths with them. I think call center jobs are so difficult because they are practically tied to their desks to meet their call quotas. We have roughly 450 employees in my building, but our company does a lot to promote fitness which is probably one reason why the stats are this way.

I'm just a very private person, and I just don't share my personal business with people except those I'm close with. That's just me.

Some people are just so nosy!

When I was pg with my first daughter 12 years ago, my hubby and I decided we weren't going to share her name. OMG, that upset so many people. It's like they just couldn't STAND that we had a name we weren't sharing. When she was born, we gathered our immediate family in the hospital room and shared her name with everyone at once. It was very special and I remember it fondly. None of our family had a problem with it but it was the nosy co-workers, or the busy-body neighbors who had their feathers ruffled because we weren't sharing.

Stick to your guns and tell them it's a lot and mention that you aren't hung up on numbers, but rather how you feel. Or convert it to something silly like metric or some other form of measurement and give them that as a smart-a$$ remark. If you are feeling sassy.

Oh, I LOVE that. I do like to be a smart ass sometimes, this situations give me the perfect opportunity to do it too (gently of course in the work place). I might look up some Tijakistan or Russan conversion, only if I really want to be sassy, I can mix it up. Like the number converted in Russian, but given in the Tijakistan conversion.

I love your example about the sharing of the name of your daugher. That sounds so very special!

Some people are just so nosy!

When I was pg with my first daughter 12 years ago, my hubby and I decided we weren't going to share her name. OMG, that upset so many people. It's like they just couldn't STAND that we had a name we weren't sharing. When she was born, we gathered our immediate family in the hospital room and shared her name with everyone at once. It was very special and I remember it fondly. None of our family had a problem with it but it was the nosy co-workers, or the busy-body neighbors who had their feathers ruffled because we weren't sharing.

Stick to your guns and tell them it's a lot and mention that you aren't hung up on numbers, but rather how you feel. Or convert it to something silly like metric or some other form of measurement and give them that as a smart-a$$ remark. If you are feeling sassy.

Ugh, I get asking once but to press you for it? How rude! It's just rude. Period.

Oh wow! I'm going to convert the number into some other metric. I dont really mind saying the actual number, but this way sounds so much fun! Let them google it out LOL! :)

I've spent a lifetime with rude people asking how old I am, how old my Mom is, etc. because Mom and I both had children at a young age and we look young for our age.

Stick with a story or a saying. It makes it easier. Sounds like you are there with "alot. That's all I'm saying about it."

And ask the question that makes them realize how rude they are if you care enough about them to invest the energy. Such as "Thanks for the congratulations. It's a personal detail I don't want to share and I know you are a kind and polite enough person to respect that and still wish me well." You can't really do that with a boss though. For them, stop with the word share. Shaming a boss hasn't gone well for me in the past and I don't recommend it.

Lynda

Lynda