Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Did any of you ave a nasty xray while you were in hospital to check fr leaks? I was reading about this the other day and just wondered how common it is?

I actually didnt have that. Neither did other friends I know who have had this procedure, however, I have read a lot of stories where it is routine. Must depend on the Dr? I hear its not real pleasant :(

Yes I agree. I hope my doc doesn't do it, as it sounds very upleasant. I will certainly be asking the question.

I did have that swallow test and then the X-ray, was quite hard considering I has it on day 2, still hurt to swallow.

Yeah there are 2 liquids they could give you, a syrupy one or a chalky one, luckily I had the clear syrupy one. They ask you to stand on the little platform with X-rays surrounding you then you have to gulp as much as you can and swallow then they will take X-rays of it passing through. It hurts lots.

I ended up getting dizzy after it and then also my pain increased after for a bit.

They say the chalky stuff can dehydrate you more and also make you constipated even more. Lucky I had the other stuff.

Hope that helps

I have also heard about this procedure and when I asked about it, they said that they don't do it. My surgeon is Dr Candice Silverman out of John Flynn hospital at Tugun. So hopefully you'll be spared the experience as I heard it is awful!

I did have the swallow test and X-ray 2 days after op. I can't say it was pleasant - a bit like drinking a shot of peppermint snaps when you already have the worst hangover!!

(I had the clear liquid) - however - it did give me peace of mind that I didn't have a leak. I guess it depends on what your surgeon thinks is necessary.

11 days after surgery and drinking is getting easier.

Thanks sunoco. I am gld you ate drinking more easily. I bought a small glass measuring cup today which measures up to 1oz or 30mls. I thought it may helps to keep track of small amounts of liquid initially.

And Mrs Macs meat pies....with sauce of course....

Kangaroo sausages....

Kangaroo snags, I cooked then up for the family last night, I had a curiosity bite. I thought it was pretty boring... Mrs Mac pies however..... Mmmm

For any aussies who are looking into having their super annuation released early for the surgery, I am putting in my application today to Department of Human Services and should hear back in two weeks. I will keep you updated.

previously, someone posted that there is a maximum to how much you can have approved - this isn't the case. It may have been in the past but if you apply for Early Release of Superannuation special considerations, there is no limit. You just need two doctors to sign off on it (one your surgeon) and a quote for the costs and it's done.

My surgery will cost around $20000 so it's worth it to check out if you can get your super released.

I will let you all know what the outcome was!

Cheers, Lila

Hey Lila,

Sorry that was me about saying $10000 minimum, might not have been DHS might have been my super fund who advised me of that.

Good luck with your super release and hope it all goes through for you.

Hey Lila,

Sorry that was me about saying $10000 minimum, might not have been DHS might have been my super fund who advised me of that.

Good luck with your super release and hope it all goes through for you.

Hey no worries! it wouldn't have surprised me if there was a limit on it - but thankfully there isn't :) Of course there is no guarantee that they will approve the full amount (DHS) so I could still be looking to pay a gap myself anyway...at least the application is in now and I just have to wait to see what the outcome will be!

cheers, Lila

Just an update on my 1 week post op weigh in. I have lost a total of 6.5kgs.

13.1kgs all up.

hey aussie kelloff, did u have a pre-op diet? & how long for? Im also in Oz & dont have a pre-op diet, only have to fast from the night before surgery. Congrats on the loss so far, thats awesome !

Hey weight,

I did have a pre op diet for 2 weeks prior, due to me being so large they ask for it to be done so it can shrink the liver size, makes the operation easier.

I just did shakes for 2 weeks with a little Protein, that's where I lost the other 7 kgs.

Did your surgeon advise you to see a dietitian? They usually give you the diet to follow.

When's your op?