Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

As we end the school year, and get ready for our sleeves and new bodies, are you telling anyone in your schools about your surgery?

When we start school again next fall, we will be noticably slimmer, and people will ask questions. But not only that... We will be drinking Water every 15 or 30 minutes, eating small portions at regular intervals (probably inbetween periods), and having to go to the bathroom frequently (I imagine).

Do you expect to explain the situation or tell anyone what you're doing?

I told everybody (with the exception of one of my bosses...long story), including my students, as I had the surgery mid semester. Everybody was incredibly supportive and my students really showed some serious concern for me when I had problems.

I think it's up to the individual person. Some people might feel uncomfortable in telling the world that they had WLS. In that case, just say that you've changed your eating habits. It's not a lie and usually people will leave you alone after that.

It's terrific that you felt comfortable enough to tell everyone (except one) in your school, including the students.

I'm having a tough time with this decision.

I have told a few people, and lo and behold, they each knew of people who had had the surgery and were able to offer me meaningful help and suggestions.

I'm not sure I want to tell everyone on staff and I don't feel comfortable telling the students, who, for me, are small children.

But I'm wondering if the need for small frequent intakes of food will necessitate that I tell someone. And I'm concerned about more frequent bathroom breaks.

Thanks for sharing your story and best of luck on your journey!

I've told a very small group of other teachers who are friends and a couple are taking me to the hospital and helping me during the first week. I am definitely NOT telling the admin in our school as they will not be supportive because this is elective surgery and if it affects my work life that is my "fault". This happened once before where a certain member of staff had plastic surgery complications and they would not allow her sick leave- it had to be unpaid leave. There are a fair amount of staff who I think will be judgemental too.I am being VERY circumspect about who I tell.

I'm also concerned about bathroom breaks, trying to get my Water and food in while still doing the zillion things we have to do, and tiredness.

I'm also waiting until the July holidays for my sleeve (July 2nd!) so I have the time off to recover and time to get to experiment and know what will work with liquids, Protein and food for me.

I have only told one person at work. a good friend. I haven't told my aide (I feel a little bad about that) she and I have been dieting for almost 5 years together, but I'm afraid she wouldn't be supportive because she's so consevative about many things. I'll probably tell one other friend at work, but that will be all. No one else needs to know.

I won't lie if directly asked but I won't offer any info.

I hope to have my surgeryin late June or July but am waiting for the Dr.s office to submit to insurance. Not sure what their waiting for.

I would like to get a handle on drinking and eating before school starts in late August.

I just read my post. I should have spell checked.Sorry.

At my school we team, so about a month after my first visit I told my teammates. I've been working with the same 2 ladies for almost 20 years. Another teacher overheard a phone conversation and asked if I was OK because it was about an EKG. So the topic came up at lunch a few times and now other teachers know. I told my principal at a Breakfast we both attended and last week she wished me luck on my back surgery. (She was close! nough said) I had to tell my secretary as I needed so many subs for all of the tests I had to complete. I haven't made a formal announcement but many know.

At first I didn't want it to get out because....What if I failed again? Honestly that is still a worry....

Hahaha! I just asked this question on another post. I should have read ahead. At work, I think I might wait until someone brings it up. Although, I have two close friends who I think will be hurt if they find out "through the grapevine", so I'll go ahead and tell them once I get a surgery date. I haven't even told my family yet (hubby and son know, of course). Is it shellfish of me to just want them to see the new me at our next family gathering and be surprised? :o

Pamela,

I think it would be fun to just show up and see the looks on everyone's faces. I'm sure your family will be happy for you once they see the great results.

Hi fellow teachers. It is good for me to read your posts. I have told no one at school and don't intend to. Our school environment is very toxic. :(. I am one week post op and trying to figure everything out as to classroom eating. ( it will mostly be Protein Drinks, so that won't be an issue) this is my retirement year and I am already going through withdrawal. Lots of life changes. Thanks for listening.