Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you feel the way you did before banding?

I haven't been banded yet but wanted to know from banders...after the pain of the surgery has gone away, after you are done the liquid to mush to solid food diet...do you feel normal? Can you do all the things you did before the banding?

Thanks,

Kirsten

Yes, I definately feel the same now as I did before surgery EXCEPT that I am not obesessing about food all the time and it is wonderful. I have much more energy and a strong desire to exercise and try new sports and activities whereas before I would try to come up with excuses to avoid them. No regrets except doing this sooner!! No complications to date~:)

~Liz~

03/10/06

241/174/160

5'7''

Yes, I definately feel the same now as I did before surgery EXCEPT that I am not obesessing about food all the time and it is wonderful. I have much more energy and a strong desire to exercise and try new sports and activities whereas before I would try to come up with excuses to avoid them. No regrets except doing this sooner!! No complications to date~:)

Ditto, ditto, ditto. Only regret is not doing this sooner. There is nothing my band limits me on (except binge eating) and it has opened up a whole new world.

Thanks you guys. I just want to make sure before I go ahead with this that I'll feel the same way I did prior to surgery. I look forward to not really being able to binge eat...that is my real problem. I need something physically there to stop myself from shoving all matter of food in my mouth. Knowing I'll feel the same way, actually better, after banding makes me feel assured everything will be okay.

Yes u do feel normal, more than normal its the best thing i ever done, i can do all the things i used 2 do b4 my band plus much more. its a great feeling as i can do so much than i ever could b4 the surgery. U will love it !!!!!!

Feel like I did before - no, I feel way better. My quality of life is better, I don't spend my day planning what to eat (okay, but less than before), and I know I am a person who can endure and become a better person from life's little struggles.

The only difference is the strange body noises you get sometimes. Especially when you are tight and you can hear your food funneling through the band :)

NO!! I do not feel the way I felt before surgery. I feel soooo much BETTER!! I feel YOUNGER! I feel HOPEFUL!! I feel THANKFUL I did this!!!

I think I know what you are gettng at ratgirl....for the most part yeah, I feel the same (& hope to soon feel better than I did before!!).

But...unlike some others, I find I am obsessing about food WAY more than I ever did (but I never really did "obsess" before....and I hope this obesessing goes away eventually). Why am I obsessing? I guess because I find myself thinking all the time about what I can and can't have (ie. as meal times approach) or what I should or shouldn't have...or what I miss....etc etc etc. It seems much more of my life revolves around "thinking" about food now and I really dislike that. But, as I say, I'm hoping after the learning curve is over that this obsession will go away.

Hi I am with you. I need to hear frrom people that have been banded. I am set for it to be a go next month. I have wondered too about feeling the same . Have you heard from anyone about what it is like 2-3 years out as far as "tabu" foods - like can you have any Pasta, rice, beef or pork ever again?

I don't feel the way I did before. I do not feel exhausted all the time. I do not feel like I can't bend over and tie my shoes. I do not feel like I'm going to pass out if I have to bend over to pick up a ball while TRYING to play Putt-Putt golf with my daughter. I do not feel sad every time I go in the closet and most of my clothes are too small and the others are too tight.

You see what I mean?

I am more active, more energetic, and much healthier. My cholesterol and blood pressure are normal, whereas before they were way too high. I can walk and climb and run and dance. And I want to.

Things are WAY better now...good luck to you!

Yoda, I know what you mean. I just recently got my 3rd fill and it's pretty tight. I really DO have to think about what I'm going to eat because if I don't, I'm going to be very uncomfortable. For example, last night, I ate a grape followed by a couple of quick bites of watermelon (while slicing it for my boys). BIG mistake. I spent about 5 minutes wondering if I was going to be sick or if it'd go on down.

BUT...I think that NOT thinking about food contributed to my obesity. I pretty much ate what I wanted when I wanted if I wasn't dieting...and then if I was dieting, I was right back into thinking about all of it, but without the success that the banding provides.

As for feeling the same as pre-banding? Heck, no! LOL I feel much, much better. I'm exercising, sleeping better, and everything is easier. :)

Cindy

The only difference is the strange body noises you get sometimes. Especially when you are tight and you can hear your food funneling through the band :)

That is so true! I just had my first fill this morning and boy was my stomach making noises as I sit here drinking my Protein shake!

I, too, feel much better and wish I had done it sooner...I've not had any complications at all :)

The other thing that's new is hunger pains. I get them every day now because I don't eat until my stomach tells me it's time. Prior to this, I'd say it'd been years since I felt actual physical hunger!

Totally normal only about 1000 times more energetic. I just go and go and go these days.

Every aspect of my life is now in control again thanks to this. Prior to banding I simply didnt have the energy to keep up with the house, my kids, my studies and all the everyday stuff, let alone exercise.

I haven't been banded yet but wanted to know from banders...after the pain of the surgery has gone away, after you are done the liquid to mush to solid food diet...do you feel normal? Can you do all the things you did before the banding?

Thanks,

Kirsten

No, I don't feel normal...I feel better than normal! I forget I have a band most days except for the fact that my pants are falling off and I no longer need an afternoon nap!!