Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ordering Protein Stuffs For Post Op

I put his in this forum because I'm ore op ( and so excited and nervous) hopefully that was ok.

I need to know what kinds of Protein sources are popular around these parts for the first weeks post op, healthy please. I am not a fan of HFCs or artificial sweeteners outside of stevia. Does that leave slim pickings??

Also, I saw someone mention once that someone had the wrong kind of protein. What are the right and wrong kinds?

I'm in a small town with a Walmart super center but can order online if necessary.

Thanks,

Amy

I wouldnt buy to much of it before your surgery, because you dont know what you are going to like after surgery. I bought a big bag of Protein Powder from my doc that I tested prior to surgery and loved.....only to have waisted my money on it because after the surgery I cant stand it. I know it sounds silly, but there are some things that I used to eat before surgery that I loved and now dont want anything to do with them because how they make my sleeve react. I would just get some samples from a place like GNC, and test them all out after your surgery and then go from there. good luck! :)

You don't want any Protein that is made from collagen. It's not "wrong"; the Protein in collagen is just not available to our bodies. Why choke down a Protein Drink that's doing no good? I second that you should probably get samples or a very small amount of protein for after surgery. Lots of us find that our tastes change drastically early post-op. I went from being a chocolate fiend to hating anything sweet, seemingly overnight. I preferred the taste of chicken and beef broth rather than anything sweet. Now, at 8 months out, I find myself loving pickles in a way that's almost embarassing! ;)

All that Protein Powder I bought before surgery? I'm using it up very slowly as an alternative to coffee Creamer and in protein ice cream, but 7-8 months is a long time to have stuff like that sit in your pantry just taking up room.

I ordered samples (I am also still pre-op) from online & found I liked Chike Protein powders best. They are soooo good! So after trying the samples I ordered a tub of strawberry & a tub of banana.

Just google Chike or Chike nutrition & you should find it.

I started using Spirotein powder (soy based) a few weeks prior to surgery. Went through 2 larges cans, loved it. After surgery, can't stand it. I don't like the taste at all. I was putting it in pudding, Soups, smoothies prior to surgery. Not now. I'm struggling to find a Protein powder I like.

I wrote to some of the companies of the popular ones and I have a bunch of link to get samples at affordable prices so you don't lose any money. I ordered samples from unjury, OhYeah, and Chike. Here are the links.

Unjury - • We do sell Starter Kits and we have a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. If you don’t like one of the five flavors, you can call us and get a one-fifth refund, for example. Here is a link to more information about our Starter Kit: http://www.unjury.com/store/protein/unjury-protein/unjury-starter-pack/unjury-starter-kit.html • Or you can just try a few single-serve packets, and you can get a refund on any or all of those as well. Here’s that link: http://www.unjury.com/store/protein/unjury-protein/unjury-protein-samples.html

Chike - I wanted to let you know about our Sample Pack program. The program lets you get 5 of our Travel Packs, which are full serving packets and the same ones we sell on our website for $2, at no cost to you. The only thing that we require you to pay is $6.95 for shipping. That is $10 worth of free product. You can order online at www.chikenutrition.com, or by calling our Toll Free number at 800-929-9439

OhYeah - http://ohyeahnutrition.myshopify.com/collections/ohyeah-sample-kits

I hope this helps!

samples are a great way to go. Like others have said, your tastes can change after surgery so it's best to not "stock up" on anything right now.

I never liked Protein shakes, and I liked them even less after surgery! I got so sick of sweet stuff. One thing i enjoyed was using unjury chicken broth Protein powder in my "clear liquids" stage and adding it to strained Soups when I was in the "full liquid" stage. Very yummy and savory. The downside is that it's high in sodium.

Now I really enjoy BariWise hot chocolate. There are artificial sweeteners - but I think the marshmallow flavor just use sucralose and not aspartame. 80 calories and 15 grams of protein -- and I've shared this stuff with non-sleevers/non-dieters and they love it. It just tastes like yummy hot chocolate. I've heard WonderSlim makes a good one too, but I haven't tried it yet. I believe they are aspartame-free.

I order preop too. I would happily send you the ones I have left. Chike was too sweet for me and unjury was too gritty. These are the two most popular.

You will see in my other posts that I LOVE LOVE LOVE smoothie King Gladiator Vanilla! I would be happy to ship you a sample and I am also able to purchase and ship to you from my local smoothie King if you like it. (45 grms of Protein, 180 calories, 1 carb... can be mixed with Water and fruit or my fav unsweetened almond milk)

Since learning so much about my diet in the last 8 months I am now a clean-eater as well. I do my best to stay away from splenda or artificial sweeteners.

Arbonne has a great line of nutritional that are gluten free, no artificial sweeteners and follow our needs. It's the only chocolate Protein that McSleevie can handle and enjoy.

Let me know if you want samples or if you want to learn more tips and tricks from an 8 month-er that has learned a lot send me a message. I am also a skype coach that helps with menu planning and support via phone, skype and in person here in Tampa.

Talk to you soon!

Brook

I'm doing the same as you, trying out different Protein powders and at least eliminating those that I don't like. As someone else said, I know your taste buds often change but at least I can get some kind of idea of what might work post-op. Although I loved the one Chike I've had so far (the banana tastes like banana taffy!) it has a definite artificial taste to it and the list of ingredients takes up half the pack. I've really liked the About Time products. They only have four ingredients and use Stevia to sweeten their powders. Definitely order samples and taste, taste, taste. Don't forget the fruit flavored ones as well. I've seen that a lot of people have problems with dairy immediately after surgery so it's a good idea to have alternatives.

Good luck!

I wouldn't buy a ton as like someone else said I loved a certain kind pre op and and then post op it was nasty to me.

I was at Chamberlin's Health Foods and bought the sample box of Spirutein and hated them all. I got some samples from Permalean and loved, loved, loved the bodacious berry. I use the premium mixes from costco and make smoothies from them.

I want to try some clear Protein drinks for immediately after surgery. Any recommendations besides Syntrax and Cytosport?

The other thing I learned, besides what others have said, is that whey isolate Protein absorbs more fully than whey concentrate. My doctor's office gave me a list of what they recommend & then put on the sheet that if I wanted to look for others, I should look for ones that had at least 15 grams of protein & less than 20 grams of carbs per 8 oz serving. I am pre-op now & have gotten a bunch of samples. So far I like the Chike the best, but I still have a bunch to try. Everyone is different so it's hard to say what you'll like! :-)

Netrition (not sure if I can post a link, but it's just netrition DOT com) has a sampler pack, it's $17.99 (plus $4.95 FLAT RATE shipping) and it includes 14 samples of low carb Protein powders. Here is the list of what came in mine, the nutritional breakdown,and a cost comparison. These prices are netrition only, and i have found better prices online. My favorite place is supplementwarehouse (again, just supplementwarehouse DOT com) because they will beat any SHIPPED price by 5% and you can get TONS of freebies in your order. My last order had 5 packets of Protein powder samples in it. That comes out to $1.28 per packet ($1.63 w/shipping if you only order the sampler pack), which for individual packs is an AWESOME price and a great way to sample many varieties of powder and only pay 1 shipping cost.

Here is what came in my sampler:

Here are the one's I've tried and liked so far:

1. 12. BSN Synthra 6 (23 g)--vanilla Ice Cream $50.99/5.04 lb/52 servings--SOOOOO DELICIOUS but a little higher in carbs than others. Well worth it IMHO. tasted just like melted vanilla ice cream to me!

2. Dymatize Nutrition Elite fusion 7 (23g)--Cookies & Cream $45.99/5.15 lb/53 servings

3. Dymatize Nutrition Elite Whey Protein Isolate (24 g)--Rich chocolate $49.99/5 lb/70 servings

I haven't tried these yet, I am saving them because I am going on a trip a week before my surgery when I am on my liquid diet

4. Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey (30 g)--Turbo chocolate $60.99/3.5 lb/40 servings

5. Inner Armour Nitro Peak 50x Liquid Protein Shot (50 g)--Orange Rush $27.99/12-4 oz shots

6. Syntrax nectar (23g)--Fuzzy Navel $34.49/2.14 lb/36 servings (I have actually sampled this and didn't much care for it but I could choke it down if I had to)

7. Syntrax Nectar (23g)--Roadside Lemonade $34.49/2.13 lb/36 servings

8. Ultimate Nutrition Platinum Series Prostar 100% Whey (25 g)--Chocolate Creme $58.99/5.28 lb/80 servings

9. Ultimate Nutrition Platinum Series Prostar 100% Whey (25 g)--Vanilla Creme $58.99/5.28 lb/80 servings

10. Dymatize Nutrition Elite Gourmet (Whey & Casein Mix) (21 g)--Milk Chocolate $42.49/5 lb/70 lb

11. AllMax Nutrition Isoflex Whey Protein Isolate (27g)--Chocolate $79.99/5 lb/75 servings

12. BSN Synthra 6 (22 g)--Chocolate Milkshake $50.99/5.04 lb/52 servings

13 Champion Nutrition Pure Whey Protein Stack (Double Serving) (21g per single serving)--Chocolate $50.99/5 lb/70 servings

14 . Champion Nutrition Pure Whey Protein Stack (Double Serving) (26g per single serving)-- Vanilla $50.99/5 lb/71 servings

You can also get samples for $2 each from About Time (shopabouttime DOT com), $5 for 3 samples chocoate, vanilla and strawberry of Great Protein (greatprotein DOT com).

HTH!