Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Restaurant Menus: Overwhelming?

Do you ever find that when you scan the menus at restaurants, you start to become overwhelmed by all of the choices? That you might make the wrong decision? That you have the tendency to pick the same thing over and over again because it is 'safe'?

I started noticing this about six months ago - and sometimes it becomes such an anxiety ridden ordeal that I order "the usual" when I would really like something different. But when I look at all of the different options and their descriptions - a gazillion questions go through my mind: will it get stuck, will it taste the same to me now, can I really eat that, how much Protein is in one oyster, how many calories are in a wine reduction sauce, etc. Sometimes it is just easier to stick to what you know....but I sure miss experimenting with a bunch of different cuisine options!!!

Would love to hear your stories and coping mechanisms!!

Hi T!

I think I'm in the same rut... I play it safe and usually order soft-type foods I know I won't have trouble with.

Shrimp is my mainstay, low calories and no carbs... but you're right about the sauces - you just never know how many extra calories the sauces add.

Since you've been banded have you ever wanted something so bad that you get emotional because you know you can't eat like before? We visit my parents every Sunday and not long ago my Mom cooked a pork roast with rice and au jus gravy. Oh, I wanted some so bad and all I could do was put a small slice of pork on my tiny plate. My Mom's so sweet, she steamed some spinach for me too... but, boy did I want some rice and gravy!

And, if my brother comes for dinner I have to leave the table. It makes me ill watching him eat 2-3 heaping plates. I've asked him to attend a seminar with me, but I know he's not ready to put the commitment into it. Can't help those that don't want to be helped!

Karla

I totally agree w/ you. I havent found a copng mechanism as of yet, but would love to see what this thread holds. In the beginning I had a lot of issues w/ PB'ing and not able to tolerate certain foods. I was banded in May, and have only been to two restuarants since then. The first one 2 wks ago to a place I had never been to before, and the menu was like 8 pages long in med print, and it was Mexican. I tend to get sick off of spices and stuff, and it was an office outing, so I sat there hemming and hawing for like 20 minutes and panicked more about what i can eat, and how to get to the bathroom if i needed to in case of an emergency.

The second restuarant I had been to before and knew what I could eat, by safety, unwilling to try knew things.

Does anyone have a system they suggest???

Not at all but then I have been extraordinarily lucky I think in that I just dont have a "sensitive" band. And a glass or two of wine loosens me up so that although I tend to be tight at night, I have no problem eating in a social situation. I dont view it as anything other than food, I dont mourn food, I dont build up a big thing around it. I just order what I feel like from the menu, I enjoy a glass of wine, I eat how much it takes to feel comfortable and I leave the rest. If I really want dessert, I'll often share it with someone becuase I cant eat it all, or I just dont have it.

I also couldnt give a stuff about leaving food I've paid for, I'm happy to pay the price of a meal to catch up with my friends and enjoy an evening out, how much of it I eat is irrelevant.

And lastly, I dont care much about sticking with calorie allowances or programs. I dont avoid carbs etc. If I eat a few too many calories today, well so what? I'll just lose a bit less this week or I can make up for it by cutting down the next few days.

Eating socially is an important part of our culture, it signifies celebrations and important social and cultural events, I have no wish to withdraw myself from that.

I just wouldnt order a big fat steak, lol. And I dont eat the bread either generally.

Hi: My husband and I own/operate a fine dining restaurant. He is the chef and I take care of the front of the house.

I'm not sure what to tell you as far as what will work with your band (I was banded June 8th and so far have not had a problem).

I can though tell you what to avoid. All sauces that say they are reductions of some sort.....they are very concentrated and do contain a lot of calories, most sauces........I have watched my husband make some of theses sauces and to reach the right consistency and flavour he uses tons of butter....I mean TONS of butter! If the menu item is beef, pork, etc and says that it is served in its own juices (au jus)...that may be okay however, be careful of fat rendered from the meat.

Most professional Chefs today, with the exception of sauces, prefer to do all cooking, roasting, baking with extra virgin olive oil instead of butter. My husband tosses his vegetable medley in evoo and fresh herbs before plating to add flavour but when requested we don't coat them with anything. We have 5 Pasta dishes on our menu....one is angelhair which I have found not to cause a problem with my band....Al puts a little evoo in a saute pan, some garlic, Tomato concasse (fresh cubed tomato), thinly sliced red onion and some s&p....he tosses the Pasta in this saute pan and its a great dish...if I want protien I add a few shrimp or small pieces of chicken.......we sell loads of this dish and its my favourite.

If you talk to your server they should be able to, and willing to, help you find a suitable meal.

If you have questions just ask me...... woodys@sympatico.ca

Carol

Oh Carol I just love your sig line-I always forget to tell you. I am a huge pear. I have always tried to use my butt for good not evil!!! LOL

Also- You have given me lots of hope-giving up Pasta completely would be really hard for me. It is so ingrained in my family's celebrations and my culture.

As for restaurants when I was trying to lose weight pre-surgery I would scope out the menus online and make my decision ahead of time. The choices are probably going to be more limiting now that I'm actually banded but pre-reading if you can may help.

I'm interested in reading the rest of the responses.

I have found that the appetizer section holds some good choices. I look there first. Next, I look for what I think I can eat from the dinner selection. If the plate contains something I don't like or can't eat I ask them to eliminate it or to give me more vegetables instead of that.

My best plan is to share with someone. On a recent trip we were eating at weird times and at restaurants I was not familiar. One of those traveling with me was willing to share. It was so much easier. We each got what we wanted and wasn't presented with gobs of food. If that isn't an option then order what you can eat and leave the rest.

In those situations I'm not so much counting calories as I am to good choices that will cause me the least amount of problems. Dining still should be enjoyed.

I havent had any trouble eating out... In fact, I've eaten out 4 times since Friday. I don't mind it, I even ate out while on liquids. I don't find it too overwhelming, but I do choose safe foods. I was really sad while i was on liquids and eveyone ate my favorite chinese foods that i will never eat again :) but food isn't gonna control me anymore! grrr

I am amazed at how different our individual experiences are. I can't eat Pasta, & I love it, but my band hates it. Rice on the other hand... I can eat loads of it!

I started noticing this about six months ago - and sometimes it becomes such an anxiety ridden ordeal that I order "the usual" when I would really like something different.

Would love to hear your stories and coping mechanisms!!

OK. I totally agree! I figure I don't want to waste my money on something that won't go down. But...I have a story for ya.

The other week, my sister and I were at a restaurant. I looked at the stinkin' menu forever and had a plan in my head. Then the waitress comes over and poof...I had a major brain fart. I ordered stinking chicken tenders and beer battered onion rings. WOW, old habits are hard to break. After the waitress left, I was in a state of shock and my sister goes "what the heck?". It was funny but sad at the same time. Unfortunately, I ate it too. The restaurant was so busy that after we placed our order she disappeared and I never had a chance to change it. Big OOPS but even bigger lesson! I won't do that again.

My DH and I tend to eat at the same usual restaurants out of habit so I practically know the menus by heart.

At a new restaurant, however, I do get overwhelmed at times. But, it's just food. I order what looks good (within reason), and ask for the *doggie bag* I really don't care if it's not classy. That food is expensive and I could make 2 more meals out of it.:hungry:

I loved Carol's information about fine food preparation and just talking to the server.

Going out should be a good experience and a treat so if you are being good all the other times what is wrong with splurging a little every now and then? I mean life is too short and we are doing all we can to become healthier and live longer but you still have to be happy. Treat yourself everynow and again you have worked hard with this major life change and you deserve it!!!!!

:clap2:

Carrie

Thank you Carol for your encouragment and neat tips - I envy you having a chef for a hubby - mine burns water!!

When he starts in on his butter kick, remind him of The Galloping Gourmet's regrets of showing people how to add creamy buttery stuff to their already sat-fat laden steak dishes. *_*

I have a trick to share with ladies here - if I crave a bit of good old fashioned 'fried' cabbage, I toss it with olive oil mixed with liquid smoke, as I'm steaming and sauteeing. ~_^ Shhh our little secret. haha

Sometimes I feel like marching over to a neighbor's house and choking her ... because every morning she fries bacon. Oooh to eat heaps of crispy bacon again... but the nitrites are killers.

love,

Nanette (STILL pre-band)

<><

...and to reach the right consistency and flavour he uses tons of butter....I mean TONS of butter! If you have questions just ask me...... woodys@sympatico.ca

Carol