Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, Gym Rats. I Need Advice!

Yea you can still do SOME cardio..but it doesn't have to be your primary. I still run on a tredmill for 30 mins THEN lift weights. Its my warm up

I use the machines vs the free weights. The pictures help me make sure im doing it right. I used to do high rep low weight, but on my arms I've been upping the weight, I have larger than proportion arms that I'm afraid are going to be distugisting so I'd rather have muscley arms instead of flabby. I do 3 rep of 25-30 pounds. I dont use any leg machines, I just do my elliptical and squats and lunges. Happy lifting :-)

Lissa, you can build more muscle without the bodybuilder look. It will really fill out your lose skin, you will just look nicely toned without the bulk look. I will tell you this that the diet and supplements are a big part of the puzzle, not just exercise. It is a juggling act when you are still in the losing phase but want to build up. Once I reached my weight loss goal, I started to carb up before and after my workouts. Before to give me the extra energy for longer workouts and after so you burn fat, not muscle mass. I always have a 100% whey Protein Shake within 1/2 hour after each workout to help build muscle. Remember, you build muscle while at rest, not while working out. The best advice I would suggest has already been given, get a personal trainer even if only for a few sessions. I did this to maximize my time at the gym and it was well worth it. You are on the right track with cardio, you will never get enough cardio. Good luck.

Thanks, Kemo. I am pretty religious about my supplements, so that's good to know. I've been adding in a lot of bananas for pre-workout Snacks and trying to time it so that I eat my Protein bar/breakfast within the hour before I work out. I will definitely start either splitting that Protein Bar so I eat half before and half after, or adding in a Protein shake after my workout. I'm still about 65 pounds away from goal, but I think that gives me some raw material to work with as I lose.

I still can't believe the amount of exercise I"m doing these days, or the fact that I'm enjoying it as much as I am. :)

i always enjoyed exercise even when i was heavier, i always felt better even though i couldnt do much. I still get into fits where URGH i just dont wanna drive to the gym. But when i finally get there i do ok. Sometimes its just the making us move because we are so used to being sedatory. I still find myself vegging on the couch not because im tired, but because thats what ive always done lol.

So, I signed up for Planet Fitness this week and I've been hitting it pretty hard with a friend. I need to know whether I should continue my high reps, low weights philosophy or start working on higher weights. I've read a couple of posters talking about working to muscle fatigue, which I'm willing to do. What I'm looking for, though, is what's the most efficient way to get the maximum benefit out of my gym membership?

Should I be concentrating on the regular weight machines, or doing the 30 minute circuit? Should I instead use the free weights? I like the machines because they seem to be designed to make the user do the exercise properly. I'm still doing my 30 minutes of cardio per day, plus I've added in at least 20 flights of stairs (10 up, 10 down) daily.

Help me out, oh Exercise Gurus, please?! :)

I'm just starting myself to work into weight lifting. Here's a nifty little suggestion... and I don't think a lot of people even consider this but IMPO the very best beginner tool for strength training is actually body weight calisthenics. Give it a try! If your gym offers any type of Bootcamp classes go for that. Other than that most definitely start light and small.

Begin with a good warm-up, however long your body likes. I do around 20 Minutes on my stationary bike. It seems to be the best result for me. Then do some nice stretches for about 3-5 minutes. After that, do your thing. However, it is best not to work the same muscles every single day. Give your muscles a break between workouts.

You're doing great Lissa, I'm happy for you. :)

Does improving my strength have good/bad implications for metabolism? Should I be concentrating on that?

Muscle burns fat, so absolutely.

Hey,

So ultimately you want to lift about 80% of your max weight for about 8-10 reps 3-5 times. Please keep in mind that form is so much more important then getting 5 sets in. It's the integrity in which you lift the weights that matter. That is how you tone,define build strength and increase your caloric burn throughout the day. Women don't have enough testosterone to "bulk up". Also once you're finished lifting you have about 40 minutes to get good Proteins and Vitamins to your muscles so they can heal optimally.

Happy lifting!

enjoying this whole exercise thread, am still struggling with a lack of desire to engage in exercise but all these posts are very encouraging.

Cranberry, It's just a matter of telling yourself that you must do it. It has to become as important to you as breathing or eating. For me, it's now a part of my routine, one of those things I must do every day.

I do cardio daily because my doctor requires it for me to stay off coumadin, which has some nasty long-term side effects. I think weights are the key to keeping myself from looking like I melted. Both motivate me to get up every day and "Just Do It". You will find your own motivation, but there is plenty of inspiration here on VST.

enjoying this whole exercise thread' date=' am still struggling with a lack of desire to engage in exercise but all these posts are very encouraging.[/quote']

Cranberry you just have to get up and do it before u realize what your doing! Not to mention lifting weights will help with the extra skin factor.

Cranberry you just have to get up and do it before u realize what your doing! Not to mention lifting weights will help with the extra skin factor.

Yeah, I workout as soon as I get up before my body is fully awake.