Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help I Don't Want To Eat Or Drink

I am 21 days post op and I don’t want to eat or drink anything. I look at my Protein Shakes and I just want to barf. I make myself drink Water but that is a struggle. I have been sucking on Gerber graduates. I know I need to drink my Protein but I can’t with out throwing up. Has anyone else gone through this?

Oh, Protein shakes were SO nasty to me post op. I drank lots of broth and Soups during the liquid stages. Have you tried making a Protein shake from unflavored Protein and something you actually still like drinking? Maybe get some unflavored (it's not tasteless, just not sweet) powder and add it to something that tastes good. Can you have cottage cheese? It's got some protein in it. Also, as for the Water, I like Decaf unsweet tea with splenda. It tastes good and was easy for me to drink. Other people have had good luck with decaf coffee and with adding crystal light or mio drops to their Water. Try changing up the temperature and go from sweet to savory.

You definitely need to be getting the liquids in, and working toward getting all your protein daily. It will take time, but you will find a way to do it! :)

Yes I have. I ues Unjury I have the unflavored, chicken Soup and strawberry flavor. They all tast good I think I am just over it now.

Thank you I will try cottage cheese.< /p>

Jocy, What kind of Protein do those packets have in them? If it's whey or whey isolate, or almost any other kind, it's good. If it's collagen protein, it's not a protein that our bodies can use as building blocks, so there's no point in choking it down.

In all honesty, all I ever really want is a big glass of ice Water. That's all I ever have the urge for, anyway. I'm not having problems with vomiting or nausea, I just have no appetite for most other things (I can eat them, I just don't want to). I enjoy them while I'm eating them, I just have no compulsion to get started.

I'm about 5 weeks post-op and was able to get my Protein in yesterday without a Protein Drink. I'm trying to today as well. But it has taken fairly steady eating of high Protein food (in my case, Maguro sashimi @ 7gm per ounce). You actually don't need to drink your protein - protein drinks aren't required, just the protein itself. Can you piece together enough Snacks + meals to get your protein count in naturally? (I could not if it weren't for the sashimi, and I literally ate it for every meal yesterday, but as much as I love it I don't see eating it at every meal long-term).

30gm in 2oz sounds way too good to be true, I'll have to check those out.

^ It's pre-digested collagen Protein.

Collagen Protein is pretty much crap, unfortunately.

ETA (because that's a harsh statement unless you know why)...

There's a scale used to rank the quality of different Proteins. It's called the Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score, or PDCAAS. I've posted on it before, but can't find it now, was going to link it. It rates Proteins on a 0 - 1 scale with 0 being low. Whey protein isolates (IMO the 2nd best type of protein) is a 1, as are soy proteins and milk proteins. Collagen proteins are a 0, so no value at all (they contain no tryptophan, one of our essential amino acids). They're often derived from junk animals skins & tissues that aren't even worthy of dog food processors. :(

I was afraid of that, Wheetsin. Pre-digested? That sounds worse than the boiled cow hooves source I read about before. Yuck!

The Protein shots they give at my hospital have only 15 g of Protein per shot, so I'm always leery of any protein shot that has more in a small volume.

I added more info above. Scary stuff.

The best protein-per-volume I've seen is Premiere RTA (30gm/11oz). Syntrax Nectars could probably beat that if they had an RTD product. (Hello, Syntrax, you out there?)

I'd kill for a way to get 30gm down in just a few ozs.

Me, too, Wheetsin! I dream of some kind of easy to eat/drink way to get a bunch of Protein in without having to choke down Protein Bars every day... especially as that would leave me some room for raw veggies and, possibly, a slice of good bread now and then. I have the Premier Protein drinks in my fridge as well.

I added more info above. Scary stuff.

The best protein-per-volume I've seen is Premiere RTA (30gm/11oz). Syntrax Nectars could probably beat that if they had an RTD product. (Hello' date=' Syntrax, you out there?)

I'd kill for a way to get 30gm down in just a few ozs.[/quote']

I use my Syntrix nectar chocolate Protein powder with milk and then add the Protein to go in latte, blend it up with 2ice cubes and drink all my protein in 1drink. Makes life much easier and taste great! Try it

Sent from my iPad using VST

What about mixing a scoop and a half in 8 oz milk, instead of just one scoop? That would be at least 30 gms + what is in the milk in one shake. Is that not allowed? I used to do that for Breakfast, so I started off the day with more than 1/2 of my Protein in before I got to work. Kathe

I tried so many Proteins and hated all of them. I am fortunate to have found smoothie king because their Protein is 45 grams per serving and one carb, 180 calories and it works with my personal plan. If you have a smoothie king around you go make friends with them. If you don't let me know and I will gladly send you a sample or container if you like. I get some great deals from my guy here.

McSleevie doesn't like the chocolate Protein from smoothie king, but I found that the gluten free Arbonne protein works for me in chocolate and vanilla. I'd be happy to send you a sample of that as well and get you an account if you like it and wish to purchase.

If you want to learn more tips and tricks from an 8 month-er that has learned a lot send me a message. I am also a skype coach that helps with menu planning and support via phone, skype and in person here in Tampa.

Talk to you soon!

Brook

The issue with getting an entire day's worth of Protein in one drink (unless you prefer for that one drink to last you all day) is portioning. Or rather, metabolism. :)

Extremely fit bodies can only metabolize about 30gm of Protein at a time. That's why we need to space our protein out. If you're ingesting all of your protein in one go, so to speak, the excess is just that - excess, and will be stored as excess (which is exactly what we're trying to avoid).

I just noticed you were sleeved at the same clinic I was (KC Bariatric - yay), but by different surgeons. Maybe Dr. Kowalski uses different guidelines. I've been a patient there since 2006 when I had my first WLS, but have never met him nor talked with him so I have no idea if he uses the same booklet; but all your protein at once really isn't the most healthy way to get it all in.

The "dream come true" isn't really just a way to get all your protein in, it's a way to get it all in, in - say - a single mouthful. :)

Someone needs to invent a high quality hydrosalate or whey isolate protein pill!

I use my Syntrix nectar chocolate Protein Powder with milk and then add the Protein to go in latte, blend it up with 2ice cubes and drink all my protein in 1drink. Makes life much easier and taste great! Try it

Sent from my iPad using VST