Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What in the world could have caused this?

Okay,

So, I'm 5 1/2 weeks postop, have felt absolutely wonderful, got my first fill from Dr. Curry little over week ago, 1.5cc, scheduled for another fill Tuesday since I've felt NO restriction. This morning when I got up and took my daily meds, I noticed the big gulps of Water I always take took a little while to go down so that would be the ONLY type of little restriction I've felt as since fill I can tell no difference.

Well, yesterday got T.O.M. for first time since before surgery and I've lost weight really well but you guys won't believe today. I've eat everything in sight. I mean, just everything, I have no problems with anything and I've always followed bandster eating habits, have continued to loose without restriction just dedication and wham, bam, thank you mam a day from hell. What in the world could have caused this and I know some people feel like the fill could take a couple of weeks to take affect, Tuesday will be 2 weeks and wouldn't you go ahead with a little more fill since I can eat anything. I lost so good I'm afraid of this eating like today it wouldn't take much to gain my weight back again, although the water thing today shows a tiny bit of restriction forming but we went on the side of caution with this first fill since I live so far away, so what is someone else's opinion on what happened today and your thoughts on a little more fill?

You know how much I value everyone's opinion.

Thanks everyone,

Just my opinion, but another small fill of .5 would be appropriate. I'm not sure what size band you have... but, if you're able to eat everything it sight - it can't be good for your pouch.

I don't want to cause you any alarm, but some of the saline may have leaked out... I'd be interested to see how much of the 1.5 is left from the original fill when you go in Tuesday. Also, ask if they can use Omnipaque solution.. it's a bit thicker and holds the fill.

All the best,

Karla

I've noticed that during my cycle my restriction is all over the place! Every month I freak out thinking that I'm going to really mess myself up but then things calm down once my hormones are balanced again. It sounds like you just need to get through TOM, you may need a fill but I'd try to just get through this next week and see what happens. Good luck!

Karla,

I have a Inamed 9.75 band and there is absolutely nothing that won't go down. Like I said, with willpower I've stuck to the 1/2 cup to cup and 1000 calories a day until today. Lapbandit, I'm with you too because with him not being able to hit my port until fluro, I'm a little worried about my fill. I wished I had him pull it back out then put it in to make sure it went into the port.

I agree as well about T.O.M., it's also been the heaviest and most painful one I've ever had. I'll be over it by Tuesday and I guess I'll go from there. Why does some doctors not want to use fluro? I have a lot of faith in Dr. Curry I just don't think I have the 1.5 still in there and if I do, maybe I just need a little more. I would be so worried about strectching my pouch if I eat like I did today more than once. I bet I've eat 1500 to 2000 calories. I've been keeping up with it but today when this happened I got so nervous, embarrassed and upset with myself, this is the very first day since banding that I've been a TOTAL FAILURE.

Thanks guys for your imput,

Maybe tomorrow will be better.

You're not a total failure at all! Yes, we have to do our best each day, but to make you feel a little better...your body can use a little extra calorie intake during TOM. That's not a blank check but it should help with the guilt! You're right...tomorrow is another day and it WILL be better! Hang in there!

Is it okay to ask when I go back for a fill for him to take out and measure what is in there if any before he puts any in and is it not okay to request the fluro or is this not appropriate? Just curious.

Sure, ask what was in there...I do! I'm curious, so I ask!

I also think you should have the right to ask for flouro if you feel strongly about it. They may not be able to accomodate you, but I don't see what's wrong with asking about it!

Luckily for me, I could actually feel the Fluid going up the tube into my band...isn't that crazy? Even my doctor couldn't believe it...it was nice though because I knew for sure that he hit my port!

As I said on another thread.. When its my TOM, my band opens up and beckons the food supply of the entire world in. I feel as if I can eat anything, and I feel as if I do -- until I write down what I'm actually eating. Then I see that while I may have eaten a bit more, I'm still within a reasonable amount for a bandster.

It's best not to make decisions about your fill during your TOM. Seriously. Some women loose the ability to swallow spit while other can eat a house, then start on the garage. Give yourself some time. Once you get past this TOM, go through this checklist and take a good look at what you're doing before you decide whether or not to get another fill.

Two additional comments:

My first period after surgery was horrible. Worst I'd dealt with in years.

I am not against proper restriction. If it takes a full band to get you to the right level of restriction, then that's what you should have. I am against people trying to use restriction in place of self control. A band that is too tight can cause far more problems than a underfilled band.

Sherri,

It is standard procedure for the docs to "back out" the fill already in your band, and they judge based on what they see (all of prev fill still in band, or some leaked) along with how much you've been able to consume to determine how much more to fill you.

I just went for my 5th fill today, and when she backed it out I asked if it was the 3.0 fill level from my last appt. You should feel comfortable in asking them any questions you have, don't be shy! It's YOUR health, and they're not violating any privacy rules... you deserve to know ALL!

I've had all my fills under Fluro, it's cool to see the barium as it passes thru. Definitely ask for it if will ease your mind. There may be an additional fee.

Hope tomorrow is better,

Karla

When I go for a fill, my doctor always draws out the saline to see what is in there and then he adds some on top of that. At my second fill, he drew out .7 cc's and then put in 1.2. So actually I got a .5 fill. I thought this was the standard procedure, but I guess it is not. If your doctor doesn't do this, I would ask him to. :)

Sherri: I too have horrible hunger at my TOM!!! I feel as if I can eat everything in site. I never suffered from cramps prior to my band surgery, but since the band, I have cramps for 2-3 days after my TOM begins. I also get horrible bloating so I feel like as if I have gained A LOT of weight, only to step on the scale and see 1-2 lbs up which is the Water weight. Once my TOM ends, I am back down the 1-2 or even more. By the way, at my TOM, I still crave sweets and salt, but now, if I give in to the sweet temptation, I only have something small... not gorging myself like before. I actually have my TOM now and have had cramps since it started on Monday. Also, on Monday, I found I ordered while at work a bacon, egg and cheese on a bagel and while I felt like I ate too much, I ate 1/2 the sandwich and it took an hour to do.

Sherri: definitely ask to have it checked to see how much is in there. My first fill was 5 ccs and I struggled with no restriction for a few weeks..went back for my second fill and got 2 ccs; still no restriction; on my 3rd fill they found out only 2 ccs were in there....which means the original 5 never went in in the first place!! So here they thought I had 7 ccs when I only had 2 in there!!! So for SURE ask about it. It should be standard practice for them to do that when they do a fill anyways, but unfortunatley that isn't always the case.