Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories In, Calories Out

I ran the numbers for my BMR, how many calories I am burning on a daily basis, and how many calories I am taking in. The numbers are rough of course but if my calculations are mostly correct, and it takes a deficit of 3500 calories to burn a pound, then I should lose 2 pounds by Friday, today is Monday. People are so fond of saying calories in-calories out, so I am out to prove it true - or not. What do you think might happen?

Hey GT...

I love and hate this theory... I should be at goal now 'cos I've been in a calorie 'deficit' for nearly 2 years!! As you know I had a really strict crack from Jan- March of this year, weight measuring counting training... no weight loss.

My BMR is about 1500... I didn't go over 1200 a day, mostly at 1000-1100 which means I was in a minimum of 2100 cals deficit and that is on 1200 cals... more with the 1000, 1100 and occasional 900 days... plus the exercise! I didn't lose a pound! I am not sure what my hormone levels do to this equation though...

Not that I am saying you won't - my God I hope you do! I know you struggle as much as me. I will be interested to see how you get on and look forward to you reporting a loss! x

Thanks Coops! I'm looking at about a 1700 calorie deficit today, about the same tomorrow and for the rest of the week. Plus, my exercise this week is alternating grueling calisthenics and low-impact high-intensity yoga so we shall see what happens. I also will try to make my Water req's. I'm afraid of the same results that beset you, zero loss, but I have to try at any rate! When you were so strict with yourself, were you also counting sugars? Ever since I added a sugar counter to my food tracker it has made me much more conscious of my intake, it's sneaky stuff!

I ran the numbers for my BMR, how many calories I am burning on a daily basis, and how many calories I am taking in. The numbers are rough of course but if my calculations are mostly correct, and it takes a deficit of 3500 calories to burn a pound, then I should lose 2 pounds by Friday, today is Monday. People are so fond of saying calories in-calories out, so I am out to prove it true - or not. What do you think might happen?

Sorry, it doesn't work that way. There are other things going on inside your body that will affect this. Water retention/release just for starters. Whether your body taps reserved glycogen stores stored in the liver or stored within muscle ... Perhaps it decides to tap into muscle for the calories to burn ...

Here is what I know about myself. When I burn more calories than I take in, I lose weight. If there are those who truely believe that not to be true, then God bless them in their weight loss endevours.

Keep us updated GT... it is all a learning curve x

I guess I'm just not understanding. So if my caloric intake a day is say 600 calories and I burn 300 of those doing exercise, I may still not lose weight? Should I exercise more then?

I guess I'm just not understanding. So if my caloric intake a day is say 600 calories and I burn 300 of those doing exercise' date=' I may still not lose weight? Should I exercise more then?[/quote']

From what I gather is that if you go too low in calories your body will go into starvation mode and retain fat and Water. My doc recommended 800-1000 calories a day but up to 1200 when I start exercising.

But I keep hearing people say that they burn more than they take in to lose weight so that's my confusion.

you burn calories even when resting. the majority of people burn 1500-2000 each day. this does not include exercise. if you eat 600 calories you still have burned approx 600. if u exercise that is more calories burned

you burn calories even when resting. the majority of people burn 1500-2000 each day. this does not include exercise. if you eat 600 calories you still have burned approx 600. if u exercise that is more calories burned

Ok thank you. I do exercise. Lol