Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Time Here......hoping To Get A Date In The Next 2 Weeks

Hi. My name is Carrie. I am a 39 year old female. I've had weight problems all my life. Now, I'm ready to do something about it for good! I tried everything from slim fast and d**k Gregory's Bohemian liquid diet to Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers and NutriSystem. I did lose on those, but once I was off, gained it back plus more.

My neighbor at work had the bypass. After seeing her success, I thought long and hard and talked to her. I had a consultation with her doctor after doing a lot of research on the sleeve. I'm now doing all my pre-op visits and bloodwork and everything. My last appointment is May 8th, and then I hope to hear from the doc's office to give me a surgery date and the final instructions.

I'm both scared and excited. Everything I've read, there doesn't seem to be any negatives, with the exception of eating a ton of food. Thank God for that! I know mom isn't too thrilled with the surgery, but for years, my weight has been an issue between her and I. My husband is agreeing with the surgery, but isn't one for 'unnecessary' surgery. I am at the point where I think it is necessary. My blood pressure has been going up and I will need to go on pills for it. My sugars are also on the high side. My legs and back hurt. I have PCOS and acid reflux, which I hope the sleeve will make go away.

So, this is the first time I've ever done anything like this, writing stuff for anyone to see. The people on here seem very supportive, and that's important to me. I just have to figure out how to use this thing!

Thanks!

Hi, Carrie! Good to hear from you! I'm in a similar boat to you, and deciding that it really is necessary has been a big weight off my chest. People here are great and supportive, aren't they? The surgery is going to help us improve our health, and it's so important. It's disappointing that your mom's not being supportive, but you need to do it for you, not anyone else.

*hugs*

Welcome to you both! I thought about the surgery for several years before I committed to it. I was scared too. I am so glad I did though! I feel so much better now. My back hurt all the time and my feet too. I was even having trouble wiping myself because it twisted my back (sorry if that is TMI but it was becoming a real problem for me). I knew then that it was affecting my quality of life! I did not want to live like this anymore. It was the best decision I have ever made and there is no way I would have ever made it this far without the sleeve! Love my sleeve!

Carrie, Kat

Good luck to both of you on your sleeve journey. I am 14 months out, and this is the best thing I ever have done for my health. I got off of both my BP medications, both my cholesterol medications, my CPAP machine for sleep apnea, and got rid of metabolic syndrome (pre-diabetes). I went from a 26W to a 10 or 12 petite. I feel wonderful.

Sharon

Hello and welcome!

I think everyone here can relate to losing over and over again only to regain. WLS is the only proven long term solution to that. In that respect, it is necessary surgery.

I'm only a month out, but absolutely no regrets. I feel like I should have made this decision for myself years ago.

I went into surgery expecting a bypass and came out with my surprise sleeve. My surgeon had told me that due to my high BMI, it may be a possibility and I had agreed to it. After coming home with the sleeve, I finally did some research on it and was very thankful things turned out this way. I won't be going back in a year for the bypass as I originally thought I would.

Hi Carrie,

I, too, am both scared and excited. My surgery is temporarily scheduled for June 14. At the end of this week, I should know if I'm approved by the insurance company. One day I get scared and say I'm not going to have the surgery and the next day I want the surgery. There are more days that I want it now that I have researched the HECK out of this! I joined this forum in December and I'm on it every day and I learn something new every day. Keep us posted on your decision and progress!

Congrats. MY last appointment was April 18th and it was submitted to insurance last week and I got verbal approval today. I have to take two, two hour classes this Wed. & next Wed. then I will get a surgery date and have a two week pre-op liquid diet. Surgery will probably be about 5-6 weeks from now.

So, MinaT, our surgeries will be within about a week of each other! We'll have to keep each other posted!

Sure will, I'm not really sure what the two - two hour classes are about with the nurse & nutritionist. I've been in the program over 6 months with nutritional classes, exercise classes, sat in on seminars,sat in group therapy, but I think this where they explain the two week pre-op diet and the post-op and I actually purchase the shakes for the two week pre-op through them, but it would be nice to have an actual date. I'll find out more on Wed.

Every doctor is different, and the program I am following is called Healthy4Life through St. Mary's/Community Healthcare in Indiana.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and support! I am going to the doctor today for my authorization appointment. I am hoping to get my date. Both excited and super nervous, but I know it's right. I just got put on blood pressure meds, and my primary doc told me i'm one-tenth of a point away from being defined as diabetic. So.....maybe in a few weeks, i will be off the bp meds, and more than 1/10 away from the diabetes. I will keep you posted!