Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor in Illinois required me to pay $136 for two bags of Bariactric Advantage shake mix. $102 went to the shake mixes and then $34 for a program fee. Then they want me to buy a 90-day supply of Vitamins at $140 per package from Bariactric Advantage. I need soap, listerine, cleasner and some other stuff. So help me out what do I need and not need? Also, are there cheaper alternatives? I read the "Protein shakes the good, the bad the ugly", so I am getting suggestions for Protein Shakes. I am not looking to going broke over shakes and vitamins. I do not buy name brand for most stuff.

I would probably find another Dr. First of all, they should not require their specialized products, there are many out there that meet the same basic requirements. Of course, that is my opinion. My Dr gave guidelines regarding shakes: 20g or more of Protein per serving, less than 5 grams of sugar.

I took listerine strips and gas-x strips to the hospital and did not use ANY of them. Go with minimal stuff to the hospital because they should have all you need there.

I have always taken Flinstones complete (2 chewable aday)

1 B100 a day

1 B12 sublingual a week

3 calciums chews a day (for women only I think)

and I buy all of these at the grocery store.

I buy my Protein from GNC because they let you return what you dont like and they carry wide variety of whey Proteins.

Hope that helps.

I would tell your doctor you don't have the money for that, I don't think they can actually "require" you to buy that, if they do I would find another doctor too. Keep in mind Protein supplements are expensive, but since you won't be eating much for a while it kind of balances out. I bought some of my shakes very cheap (unopened) in Craigslist of all places. Hang in there!

I would buy what you want to buy and bring it with you to show him what you got. I had a list of what Vitamins and how much dosage to take that was it. I could buy what ever brand I wanted to buy. I think I would be having a talk with the office. When it doubt tell him you have tried those vitamins and you don't like them. (I know some people don't care for them at all)

I've seen this mentioned a few times on this board. It bothers me that some doctors do this. When I visit my doctor, I don't want to see a display of products for sale. For course, they need to make money just like everyone else, but hawking supplements and shakes just seems wrong.

Hopefully, you can just buy your supplements and Protein from other (cheaper) sources. Otherwise, you may be better off picking another surgeon, as mentioned by Isabel'sGma.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. This practice is the premier center of excellence office near my house through Alexian Brothers. My PCP doctor felt that a place like this will give me A+ service. It is nice to have a doctor advocate. I think why they shove Bariactric Advantage down your throat, is that we have no clue what to buy. So it is busy person proof. I do see their point, I have no clue what to buy. I am glad to have people like you around to guide me. I will do some research on the Vitamins. The Protein Shakes suggestions from the other thread are perfect.

It would really turn me of the be required to buy something from a doctor. What if you don't like it or simply can't afford it? Everyone likes different things when it comes to the Protein. Alexian Brothers does have a great reputation though.

I have always taken Flinstones complete (2 chewable aday)

1 B100 a day

1 B12 sublingual a week

3 calciums chews a day (for women only I think)

and I buy all of these at the grocery store.

I buy my Protein from GNC because they let you return what you dont like and they carry wide variety of whey Proteins.

Hope that helps.

This is what I have to buy exactly. So I will look for it in the store today.