Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Minor Complication Has Me Fretting . . . What Have I Done?

I was sleeved with hiatal hernia repair on 4/9, and started mushies on the 22nd. I haven't pushed it too much, slowing adding pudding, poached eggs, was going to start refried Beans today. Last night I had 1/4 cup of egg whites scrambled. Even though I ate slowly, chewed really well and the eggs were soft cooked, something just didn't go down right. I felt like all my food was stuck in my esophagus, had terrible hiccups and just didn't feel well. This morning I have mild but constant discomfort in the area underneath my left shoulder (which was the only place I had gas pains after surgery), a feeling like my esophagus is really restricted, and my tummy is making a lot of noise. liquids are going down OK although the sleeve sounds like Chewbacca again when liquid hits it.

I spoke with one of the surgeon's nurses. She thinks a piece of egg might have gotten stuck and caused irritation and swelling. She told me to double my Protonix and stay on liquids through the weekend. I have a 3 week follow up appt. with them on Monday, but to call if I don't feel better by Friday.

This has set my mind to fretting and worrying about developing a leak. Has anybody else had a similar experience? Talk me off the cliff, please!

It truly doesn't sound like a leak to me, and, obviously, not to the nurse either. If she thought you had a leak, she'd have probably screamed at you to get to the hospital NOW! Our sleeves are funny and they do strange things sometimes. I was advised to just back up a stage anytime a food didn't agree with me and eggs don't seem to agree with you.

Don't jump. I think you're going to be fine. :) I understand how scary it can be, though.

Thanks, Lissa! My inner hypochondriac is begging to come out, lol. It's just uncomfortable, I feel like there's a lump in my esophagus, and the weird discomfort I feel under my shoulder is just that . . . weird.

I guess this is karma for feeling cocky about having such a smooth recovery.

My doctor advised me to stay away from scrambled eggs until closer to 6-8 weeks out. It's one of the hardest foods to get down, while in other forms (poached, soft boiled) it's a little easier. I actually had a total aversion to eggs until about 8 weeks out, and now (at 12 weeks) I can take them in any form. Granted, I don't really care for scrambled like I used to. I think it's because I liked them best with toast, and I'm not allowing bread in yet.

Yes, you make have gotten a little bit stuck and it will get better with time. Also, if he did a liver biopsy (which most do while they're in there), that could also be a source of the pain. I had intermittent pain until I was about 4 weeks out. Eggs were actually not on my mushy list, so I abstained until week 4 from trying them.

You'll have a few things that will scare the p*** out of you, but most of them will be harmless. You'll know when it's a true emergency. I know the first time I ate too much too fast I thought I was going to die, but it passed on it's own and I learned a valuable lesson.

You're doing just fine. This will pass but it is good to be aware of what your body is saying. Your tummy will heal and the swelling will go down. It is scary to think about leaks though. Your not feverish or anything like that so hang in there and keep consuming a clear liquid with Protein Shakes for a few days. ;)

Thanks, everybody! I've had a poached egg twice with no problem, wonder why soft scrambled is such an issue? Shoot, the only reason I had it was because it was on my "mushy" food list from the doctor!

I feel better now. Well, not physically yet, but mentally! You guys are awesome!

I had this happen to me several times after surgery. after about 2 months it stopped. Now I feel wonderful! good luck! hope you feel better soon!

I don;t think this is a leak issue because if it was I'd be the Titanic! Issues like food getting stuck or overeating can be really uncomfortable and it takes a long time for it to pass. Learn your sleeve and listen to it. I'm still having problems realizing how tiny my portions have to be to prevent discomfort to the point that I wonder whether it's worth while to eat at all. Take a step back and reduce your portions and avoid any food that causes discomfort. Everybody's mileage is different, so you can't always compare your case to others.

I don;t think this is a leak issue because if it was I'd be the Titanic! Issues like food getting stuck or overeating can be really uncomfortable and it takes a long time for it to pass. Learn your sleeve and listen to it. I'm still having problems realizing how tiny my portions have to be to prevent discomfort to the point that I wonder whether it's worth while to eat at all. Take a step back and reduce your portions and avoid any food that causes discomfort. Everybody's mileage is different, so you can't always compare your case to others.

Wow you've lost 82lbs since February. Do you exercise alot? I've been sleeved since 4/19/12 and am anxious to experience serious weight loss. Did you experience problems getting the Protein down?

Thanks' date=' Lissa! My inner hypochondriac is begging to come out, lol. It's just uncomfortable, I feel like there's a lump in my esophagus, and the weird discomfort I feel under my shoulder is just that . . . weird.

I guess this is karma for feeling cocky about having such a smooth recovery.[/quote']

Usually pain below the shoulder is referral pain to gallstones...the lump and shoulder pain is what I've had...we are all different so you may just have irritated your sleeve...

Don't worry! I do it enough for everyone lol

It's funny but even though eggs are soft and mushie, everyone seems to have problems with them. It seems to be a common thing that people don't digest them well until they are a lot farther out.

Wow you've lost 82lbs since February. Do you exercise alot? I've been sleeved since 4/19/12 and am anxious to experience serious weight loss. Did you experience problems getting the Protein down?

No, I started counting weight loss when I first started my pre op nutrition plan with Kaiser (Called "Options" program). That started in November, 2011 and I was able to lose around 55 pounds or so even before surgery on 3/29/12. I've lost about 27 pounds or so since my surgery. I'm sorry if it's misleading. Don't be in a rush to lose weight by starving yourself. You can actually slow the process if you do. During times of famine, the human body will automatically put itself in "starvation mode" and reduce the number of calories it needs to function. If this happens, it will cause a slowing or even a stopping of your weight loss. This is a common reason that many people experience stalls. Take in a reasonable number of calories (my doctor says 1000 - 1300 a day) and keep up the Protein for the best long-term results. And plenty of fluids! Good luck!