Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all. I am scheduled for a sleep study on may 9 as an attempt by my doc to see if I have sleep apnea and make the approval process easier with BCBS of Alabama. Could someone please tell me what happens during a sleep study.

It sucks. Lol. They wire your whole face/head up. In your hair. Sucks. Then they expect you to fall asleep. Then after they determined I would need a second study, they do all the wiring again, then they put a mask on your face. Then again they expect u to fall asleep. Sucks. Lol

I didn't find it bad at all. I treated it like a mini vacation. Brought all my favorite stuff to the sleep center. It was great. You may not want to go by me though... I have three small children and could use a break.

You go to the facility which has several bedrooms. The sleep technician hooks you up to a ton of electrodes and then you go to sleep. You are advised to not nap so you can get some sleep. If the study is split night you will stay overnight two nights or half of the night you will sleep with no mask(cpap) and the other half with the cpap. I did not have apneas until I was in Rem sleep which didn't leave enough time for the cpap mask. I had to go two nights. They put a gunky creme in my head to get the electrodes to register. Overall no biggie but not the most restful sleep as it was an unfamiliar place. Good luck.

I agree it sucked big time, especially the tubes up the nose. I could barely fall asleep, but its not the worst thing in the world. It's easy enough.

I didn't find it bad at all. I treated it like a mini vacation. Brought all my favorite stuff to the sleep center. It was great. You may not want to go by me though... I have three small children and could use a break.

LOL! I hear you! I sent a picture to my husband and told him I was moving in. All of the wires were annoying but I was able to fall asleep (but I'm exhausted most if the time). I actually slept better the 2nd time (the titration) with the cpap than with the snore censor thing they had up my nose the 1st time.

Anyway, as others said they hook you up to monitors for everything from brain waves, snoring , leg movement, chest movement (breathing), heart rate, pulse, and oxygen level. Try your best to relax, avoid any caffeine that day too. Just think of it as another hoop too jump through that will get you closer to goal. :-)

I never had to do a sleep study pre-op (my doctor didn't require it because of my age) but for some reason I've always wanted to do some sort of one. But that's mainly because it'd be cool if they mapped out my brain patterns/activity while I slept because I have the craziest dreams, lol.

It really isn't bad at all. Just a little annoying trying to sleep with all the sensors on!

Nothing hurts either just so you know! I was worried I might be getting little electric currents going through those sensors stuck all over me. I know, crazy thinking huh?! LOL

They stick sensors to parts of your scalp, head, chest, legs. Then put tiny tubes by (or just slightly in) your nose.

Then yes, they expect you to sleep like that!

I toss & turn quite a lot, so twice sensors came loose & they had to come in to re-adjust them. Then once the tube by my nose moved too, so they had to come in to adjust that. Yep, didn't get much sleep.

But I thought it was cool to do it & see the results.

I didn't have any apnea, so didn't have to put the mask on. But they did tell me if they noticed I was having apnea episodes they may have to wake me up to put on a mask during the night too.

It's really pretty easy & no big deal. Hardest thing is trying to sleep with all those wires!

when I did mine many years ago, I had the same issues as most have said, except, I didn't have any kind of tube around my nose. there are tons of wires stuck too you but nothing hurt at all, the only time I felt anything is when I rolled over and pulled one of the sensors off, about like pulling a small band aid off. I swore I didn't sleep a wink that night but in reality, I slept for quite a while. they diagnosed me with severe obstructive sleep apnea, I was put on a CPAP machine which took a good month getting used to, but now, I can't sleep without it, and I do mean CAN'T sleep without it, even if I wanted to or am exhausted, no sleep.

all in all, it's a bit of a minor inconvience but well worth it in the end, it litterally can save your life.