Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Summer Is Just Around The Corner

Hi Everyone,

Spring is here and summer is just around the corner. If you are sitting out there trying to make up your mind about having weight loss surgery, this is the time to make that commitment. This is the time of year that I “use” to go on that famous diet that was going to make be fabulous for summer--LOL. I fought that battle for more years than I care to tell you. I could lose most of the weight, but would always gain it back. You know that vicious cycle of lose it gain it back. I bet you are sitting there shaking your head right now because you know exactly what I am saying. Do not give another day of your life away being fat please do something to change your life. You can be very successful at weight loss and keep it off forever. I have maintained my weight loss of 105 pound now for over 3 years—something I would have NEVER done before.

I would like to share a little with you about my experience that I started in 2008. I knew that I had to do something that was seriously going to change my life forever. I had a friend who had lost a lot of weight and had weight loss surgery. I started to ask a million question like who & where & was she happy with having weight loss surgery. She made me do some of my own research. I did, & knew this was what I wanted.

I can ONLY speak about my experience and about the doctor I went to. I knew how extremely qualified Dr. Aceves is and he also has an excellent reputation for performing the VSG aka “the sleeve.” This was the surgery I wanted and I had educated myself all I could about this type of surgery. I went on 3 different boards for weight loss and surgery where I kept asking questions. My choice was Dr. Aceves in Mexicali in Oct 2008. There a so many ways to describe my experience. I have never received this kind of care from any doctor in the USA or any hospital in the USA. He takes all the time you need to address all your fears and questions. He works with Dr. Compos—who is just as wonderful. They are amazing surgeons who genuinely care about your before and after you have had the surgery. They are kind, personable, caring, friendly, honest, forthcoming, informative, explanatory, and have a sense of humor too. They will take excellent care of you. The entire staff is just as caring and kind. They are there to meet all your needs, they would never send you home until you are ready and have passed all the leak tests and other tests that you will be doing before you go home.

I have been asked many times what I think or know about some of the other doctors in Mexico. I honestly can’t tell you much about them. Take the time and read all you can about these doctors. Talk to others who are on the boards and used these other doctors. Trust your gut feelings. Make sure it is safe to cross the boarders—some boarders are NOT safe—Mexicali is a very safe boarder to cross.

Make sure you are having surgery in a fully equipped hospital and NOT a CLINIC. You never want to have this kind of surgery in a CLINIC. Find out where you will be receiving the care AFTER the surgery—it should always be a HOSPITAL NOT a RECOVERY HOUSE OR A HOTEL. Be smart when it comes to your health—it has to last you a life time. Make sure that the Doctors are using quality materials for your surgery. Ask what kind of staples they use. There honestly is a reason why some of them charge less. They are cutting corners some place and you don’t want it to be you that they are cutting corners on.

Take care,

Suzanne

I have seen plenty of people who have had recovery in a hospital for 2 days, then a hotel for 2 days. Not sure why that is a problem?

The hotels are typically near the hospital & have heard doctors or coordinators come to check on you too.

It is also NOT true that they are "cutting corners some place" if they are a bit cheaper than Dr Aceves!

Didn't you just post in the last week putting all other MX doctors down too?

I agree with Sharon, and most if not all the surgeries here in the USA for VSG you are released within 2 days. So I personally don't see the need of being in a hospital longer than two days. In actuality the longer you are in a hospital the more likely you are to get a nosocomial infection. Research shows that. I agree with you that everyone should do their research and decide for themselves.

Whoa guys.... She's a sweetie and not talking about our doctors. There ARE some horrific stories out of Mexico - and the US for that matter (I was quoted for this surgery as an outpatient procedure in the US!) and yes there are a few in Mexico who do not use hospitals at all and I did read some scary stories. I think that is who she is talking about. Just trying to let people know what to look out for.

I agree with her, which is why I've done my research. We are all gonna be fine. :)

I have seen plenty of people who have had recovery in a hospital for 2 days, then a hotel for 2 days. Not sure why that is a problem?

The hotels are typically near the hospital & have heard doctors or coordinators come to check on you too.

It is also NOT true that they are "cutting corners some place" if they are a bit cheaper than Dr Aceves!

Didn't you just post in the last week putting all other MX doctors down too?

Hi,

My main concern is that Hotels are not at sterile and as clean as the hospital is. In a hospital if you have any kind of problem or pain you have a medical trained staff person there 24-7. And on the day before I went home and I was in a hospital, they gave me something to drink, watched in go down to my new stomach and made sure that everything was working OK--I have no idea if they ran this kind of test on you. These things were all very important to me--not everyone feels the way I do and that is OK. I know how easy it is to get an infection, and I just do not think that the hotel standards are the same as the hospital. They actually clean with entirely different products in a hospital than in a hotel.

I am glad you had a good experience and this worked good for you. I wish you great success.

Suzanne

I agree with Sharon, and most if not all the surgeries here in the USA for VSG you are released within 2 days. So I personally don't see the need of being in a hospital longer than two days. In actuality the longer you are in a hospital the more likely you are to get a nosocomial infection. Research shows that. I agree with you that everyone should do their research and decide for themselves.

Hi,

All, I am saying is do your homework. Ask questions, get the answers that you are comfortable with. I was willing to pay a little more for Dr. Aceves, because I had certain standards that were and are important to me. I was 63 years old when I had this surgery. My health and the kind of care I received was so very important to me. I am not telling you not to go to your doctor, I am saying ask questions, be comfortable with your choice.

I do not feel that a hotel's cleaning standards are the same as a hospital. They clean with entirely different products in a hotel vs. a hospital. Infections are not a lot of fun and add complications to your surgery. I want you to feel comfortable and safe.

I have worked in the medical field, and know that there are many doctors who do not use the highest quality of staples or other things. I guess sometimes knowing where they cut corners gives me a little bit of an advantage. When I picked Dr. Aceves, I knew some of these things and I knew about his equipment and supplies.

I am thrilled that you have great success. I wrote this for people who are just starting out and I want them to be aware that NOT all things are equal and to pick their doctor after doing some research and asking lots of questions.

I know you are going to be very successful and you have done something good to change your entire life.

Take care,

Suzanne

Finding Myself, I dont doubt Suzanne is nice and means well but to me the post sounds like she is putting all Mexican surgeons (with the exception of Dr. Aceves) down. There are many many things that make someone a great surgeon and I just want to make sure others that read this post take that into account. There are certainly a ton of very scary surgeons and places, and there are most certainly some I would avoid no matter how desperate I was and is wonderful to let people be aware of that.

Suzanne I also am in the medical field and have been for quite a while, and hospitals are not a good place because there are many sick people there and thus the nosocomial infection risk. You are right that is the best place to be if you are sick but most people after two days are pretty well. I do understand that given your age and preference having 4 days to recuperate in the hospital was better for you and that is wonderful. If I wanted more time in the hospital my surgeon (Dr. Ponce De Leon) would also acomodate that, but for me personally its not nessesary. I also get a leak test before being released and get a video of that plus a video of my surgery. My surgeon also uses top of the line staples and materials, as well has been a surgeon for over 20 years and has done the sleeve for ~7. He is also a teacher and has taught Many Mexican surgeons and continues to do so, has a matter fact today and until Thursday he is the main speaker of a bariatric conference in Mexico. I know that since Dr. Aceves was your surgeon you are biased towards him and that is understandable and admirable. Do please keep in mind that there are many other wonderful surgeons in Mexico, and of course there are also many that I would not allow near me. Thank you for your good wishes and I hope the same for you :-)

Finding Myself, I don't doubt Suzanne is nice and means well but to me the post sounds like she is putting all Mexican surgeons (with the exception of Dr. Aceves) down. There are many many things that make someone a great surgeon and I just want to make sure others that read this post take that into account. There are certainly a ton of very scary surgeons and places, and there are most certainly some I would avoid no matter how desperate I was and is wonderful to let people be aware of that.

Suzanne I also am in the medical field and have been for quite a while, and hospitals are not a good place because there are many sick people there and thus the nosocomial infection risk. You are right that is the best place to be if you are sick but most people after two days are pretty well. I do understand that given your age and preference having 4 days to recuperate in the hospital was better for you and that is wonderful. If I wanted more time in the hospital my surgeon (Dr. Ponce De Leon) would also accommodate that, but for me personally its not necessary. I also get a leak test before being released and get a video of that plus a video of my surgery. My surgeon also uses top of the line staples and materials, as well has been a surgeon for over 20 years and has done the sleeve for ~7. He is also a teacher and has taught Many Mexican surgeons and continues to do so, has a matter fact today and until Thursday he is the main speaker of a bariatric conference in Mexico. I know that since Dr. Aceves was your surgeon you are biased towards him and that is understandable and admirable. Do please keep in mind that there are many other wonderful surgeons in Mexico, and of course there are also many that I would not allow near me. Thank you for your good wishes and I hope the same for you :-)

Hi,

I am NOT putting other Mexican surgeons down. I am saying be careful. Know what you are getting into. Check things out, do your research, and ask 100's of question for a lot of different sources. You know what they say "if is sounds to good to be true, then is usually is."

If you read any of my posts you will NEVER here me single any doctor out as "bad" or do not go to him. I have heard many good things about your doctor along with Dr.Kelly, so I do know that there are other great doctors out there. I can only speak with experience about the doctor who did my surgery and several of my close friends who have gone to him, after they say my results.

If you notice and read what I wrote this is being directed to newbies who are thinking about going to have WLS. I am sure if they asked you about your doctor you would give him rave reviews, which you should.

We all have the right to speak about who did our surgery and how it went for us and speak about what we know about. Enough of this going back and forth this way. I am here to help and support others just like you are.

Take care,

Suzanne

Hi' date='

I am NOT putting other Mexican surgeons down. I am saying be careful. Know what you are getting into. Check things out, do your research, and ask 100's of question for a lot of different sources. You know what they say "if is sounds to good to be true, then is usually is."

If you read any of my posts you will NEVER here me single any doctor out as "bad" or do not go to him. I have heard many good things about your doctor along with Dr.Kelly, so I do know that there are other great doctors out there. I can only speak with experience about the doctor who did my surgery and several of my close friends who have gone to him, after they say my results.

If you notice and read what I wrote this is being directed to newbies who are thinking about going to have WLS. I am sure if they asked you about your doctor you would give him rave reviews, which you should.

We all have the right to speak about who did our surgery and how it went for us and speak about what we know about. Enough of this going back and forth this way. I am here to help and support others just like you are.

Take care,

Suzanne[/quote']

Suzanne I love all of your information you are a great help to nit only Dr Aceves patients but others as well I think that when I go for my surgery June 2nd I am going to have to tell Dr Aceves to vote you patient if the year lol your that great :-)

Hi,

Take care,

Suzanne

Suzanne, I am sorry if I have offended you, that was never my intention. I was only giving my opinion. We are all here to support each other, I will privately message you to let you know what from your post I found to be talking bad about Mexican Surgeons, I don't think you meant it that way but its just the way it read to me. Perhaps I should had done that in the first place. Thanks for all the help you have provided to others.

Suzanne I love all of your information you are a great help to nit only Dr Aceves patients but others as well I think that when I go for my surgery June 2nd I am going to have to tell Dr Aceves to vote you patient if the year lol your that great :-)

Suzanne, I am sorry if I have offended you, that was never my intention. I was only giving my opinion. We are all here to support each other, I will privately message you to let you know what from your post I found to be talking bad about Mexican Surgeons, I don't think you meant it that way but its just the way it read to me. Perhaps I should had done that in the first place. Thanks for all the help you have provided to others.

Hi,

Awww thanks, I just want to pay things forward. There are some good doctors out there and there are some bad ones. I just want people to be safe. I can only speak about Dr. Aceves because that is who I have gone to. You will love him and his staff. They are great. If I lived closer he would be my PCP. I am always out here if you have any questions when you get home or before you go. Remember the closer you get to going the more emotions and feeling will come out. This is very normal. So just send me a note I am here.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Hi' date='

Awww thanks, I just want to pay things forward. There are some good doctors out there and there are some bad ones. I just want people to be safe. I can only speak about Dr. Aceves because that is who I have gone to. You will love him and his staff. They are great. If I lived closer he would be my PCP. I am always out here if you have any questions when you get home or before you go. Remember the closer you get to going the more emotions and feeling will come out. This is very normal. So just send me a note I am here.

Hugs,

Suzanne[/quote']

Thanks Suzanne Hugs sent your way ...I actually kinda wondered if there was something wrong with me because I'm not scared or nervous at all I'm.more worried about flying more then the surgery lol its my first time flying but I think it will hit me when its even closer !!!!

Thanks Suzanne Hugs sent your way ...I actually kinda wondered if there was something wrong with me because I'm not scared or nervous at all I'm.more worried about flying more then the surgery lol its my first time flying but I think it will hit me when its even closer !!!!

Hi,

You are very normal with your fear of flying. Flying did not bother me at all. I was 2nd guessing my choice to have WLS and as I was flying to San Diego. I kept asking myself what in the hell am I doing to myself? I guess it is the fear of the unknown. I am glad you are doing fine with the emotions. I had all kinds of feeling. I was excited that I was going to have the surgery and in the next moment I was scared to have it done. I had anxiety, and happiness all at the sometimes. So I just want you to know that they things are very normal.

Once you are up in the air you will feel just fine. Flying is not bad at all. I know it is easy for me to say because I have done a lot more than you. But, if you get scared ask your doctor for something to take before you get on the plane. I want you be be successful and to be successful at weight loss surgery you have to get there--LOL. If I could I would come along and hold your hand. Hang in there and if your fear gets too bad let me know. I will send you a private message if you need with my phone number and we can talk.

Hang in there girl, you deserve to have it ALL and life is going to be a whole lot better.

Hugs,

Suzanne

Hi' date='

You are very normal with your fear of flying. Flying did not bother me at all. I was 2nd guessing my choice to have WLS and as I was flying to San Diego. I kept asking myself what in the hell am I doing to myself? I guess it is the fear of the unknown. I am glad you are doing fine with the emotions. I had all kinds of feeling. I was excited that I was going to have the surgery and in the next moment I was scared to have it done. I had anxiety, and happiness all at the sometimes. So I just want you to know that they things are very normal.

Once you are up in the air you will feel just fine. Flying is not bad at all. I know it is easy for me to say because I have done a lot more than you. But, if you get scared ask your doctor for something to take before you get on the plane. I want you be be successful and to be successful at weight loss surgery you have to get there--LOL. If I could I would come along and hold your hand. Hang in there and if your fear gets too bad let me know. I will send you a private message if you need with my phone number and we can talk.

Hang in there girl, you deserve to have it ALL and life is going to be a whole lot better.

Hugs,

Suzanne[/quote']

Thanks so much Suzanne I would actually like to talk with you over the phone I have been looking to speak with some of Dr aceves patients over the phone that would be great :-)

I had a great experience with Dr Ponce. I think I would have gone crazy with another night in the hospital. getting out , shopping, sleeping in a comfortable bed ( sorry hospital beds are NOT comfortable) did a world of good for me. I had a great night sleep ( still somewhat sore) in the hotel lucerna in a nice double bed with lots of comfy pillows. Opening up the window and sitting on a the balcony ... sigh .. I actually wish I could be back there now! I feel like the hotel was clean and I had no open wounds. Sure hotels aren't as sterile as hospital but at the same time they don't have as many nasty germs floating around with all the sick people.

If I had the surgery in my home town I would have went home the next day from the hospital ( assuming I was tolerating liquids)