Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Rethinking Relationships, Careers And Life... Post Sleeve?!?

So, I'm in the midst of a possible career change.. All brought on by the confidence I gained by deciding to get sleeved... I love that I'm losing weight... but more than that, I think that believing that I deserve a great life, free of physical and emotional pain and suffering caused by obesity has totally transformed my life in every area...

What about you??

I actually ended up quitting my job just before I was sleeved. Because about the time I decided I was really ready to take care of myself, I decided I deserved better than to spend the majority of my waking hours with an employer that undervalued me as an employee and as a person. It's been the best decision I ever made.

Once I start feeling well enough to job hunt (hopefully this time next week, heh heh), I have the feeling I'll be more selective about where and with whom I work with.

Thanks for creating this topic.

I am not post sleeve yet but I already know that things are going to change. I am in a relationship now that I am not completely happy with and I know that alot of it has to do with my weight and self esteem issues. I stay because I dont feel like I am pretty enough to find someone else that is more affectionate and caring. I know that it sounds bad, but that is life, right?

Post sleeve, I know that I regain the confidence that I used to have and I know that the feelings of resentment and loathing towards him will only increase. I have tried to prepare myself and him for the change, but I dont know that he totally gets it. I think that he is thinking that once the new me is here that I will have a new outlook on our relationship....but I dont think my new outlook will be the same as his new outlook...

this sleeve is definitely going to be a life changing event in more ways than one... [

urgh and yay!!!

I can say... making positive changes in your life will most definitely open your eyes to situations where you have allowed people and things to diminish your value as a person.. I've moved on from people who I have considered friends for years because I am unwilling to enable and deal with manipulative, passive-aggressive people..

Making a decision as huge as this prompted me to revisit a lot of things in my life and actually see if I was coasting due to comfort or truly living!!! I choose to LIVE!!!

Such a good topic! I didn't change careers, but I did change my attitude at work which was like a whole new world! Once I started dressing better,sleeping better, feeling better, I became a better teacher. Im smiling more and the kids are smiling more too. I wasn't in a relationship pre-op, but as soon as I started "looking good" the ex's seemed to come out of the woodwork. Been there, done that, not going back. Best advice is FORWARD MOTION. Sometimes you don't have to create a new life...sometimes you just have to tweak it to your success.

I am not post sleeve yet either. But I do feel that I will be more open when I decide to go back to work on where I apply. So many times I have wanted to apply at certain places but don't because I never see heavy people at these places and would feel like a fish out of Water. That will feel awesome! And @FatGirlSlim....I am married to a wonderful man. But was married before. I know what you are going through. Don't settle!! I kissed many frogs and now have my prince. And feel very blessed to have him. And you will find yours too!

Good topic.

I'm feeling a little more confident and am really hoping for a new job with my current employer. I just keep my fingers crossed the job will open soon!