Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone's Throat Feel Weird?

Sounds like you may need a slight unfill. You should not have mucous etc damming up in the band overnight. Have you tried WARM Water with lemon to cut the mucous? It may be a good thing to try to 'flush' the pouch every evening before you go to bed with something warm in order to make sure it's clear several hours before lying down.

Leener,

I don't have any experience yet with a fill but is the mucus (forgive me here) post nasal or coming up from your stomach? I've read several entries about sliming (where it comes up)but have yet to have that lovely side effect.

If it is post nasal I'm wondering if you could have a sinus infection that is very stubborn. Were you having this increased mucus production when you visited your doctor?

I've had some stubborn sinus infections and had to switch antibiotics a few times until I got the right one. (I should tell you that I work alot in infectious disease so I am exposed to alot more nasty stuff as well)

The nasal steroid sprays are good with inflammation but do lower your resistance to sinus infections.

Thank you so much for responding. I'm not sure what it is, but it may be an infection. I've had them before and my thraot is so sore. But it feels like the mucas is coming from the stomach.

???:phanvan

I just finished eating dinner and the mucas is flowing into my throat after eating and I'm having to clear it constantly. This is defo band related. My band area feels sore too.

Sounds like you're just a tad too tight and having some reflux as a result of it. I have the same thing right now and am waiting to see the doc to get it taken care of.

Because my DH refuses the bed raising thing, I have made myself a wedge to sleep on until this passes. You can purchase foam wedges also, but don't ask me where. Currently my wedge consists of a blanket folded and pillows fashioned into a large wedge that starts at my butt and goes up to my head. I sleep at approximately a 45 degree angle and have been doing much better since I've done this and I haven't slid down, either. By trying to sleep simply on pillows under your shoulders or head, basically you're bending yourself at the waist and may be making the problem worse (or so I've been told).

The mucous you are swallowing after meals or during the day is your body's way of trying to lube things up. Either there's still food slowly moving through the pouch or your body is (for some reason) recognizing your stoma as a foreign body and is trying to make it pass. Again, that's a sign you may be too tight even if it's only a little.

Thank you, that's a great idea (the folded blanket and pillows) because I am sleeping with the pillows on an angle.

Someone mentioned that it sounds like esophagitis. That's frightening!!!I've called the nurse at the office today a few times and I have not gotten a call back today. (office staff probably forgot to tell her) I'm getting really scared, what should i do? :help:

I feellike I want someone to take this out of me, NOW!

I would take a deep breath and call them again in the morning and tell them you are concerned and that this is your second call. Esophagitis just means your esophagus is irritated and needs some rest. Maybe an unfill and some good anti-reflux meds will do the trick. And a little more cowbell of course...

Thank you for your response Nurse Ratchett. ;p.

I talked to the nurse, who spoke with the doctor. They think I have irritated my pouch and esophagus due to eating too fast and too large. They don't want to do an unfill just yet, as it has 1.5 cc in a 4 cc band. They want me on liquids for 3 days, and if it's still not better, they will have me go to the ER for an unfill.

I have bad asthma, so yes as someone pointed out, the lungs are a concern.

I'm doing much better. I've been on liquids for 3 days now. The cough and phlem is still there, but greatly reduced, as is the soreness.

I'm concerned about going to food today, I don't want to undo any healing. But I'm starving.

It sure goes to show you that even though we think we are eating slow and small in comparision to what and how we ate before, it may not be for the band.

I LOVE your cowbell guy!

Reading of your experience with this is sure helping me! I haven't been banded yet and I'm trying to learn all I can to avoid such things. I'm trying to not drink with my meals anymore or just after a meal, but I'm realizing how hard that is. I must be taking huge bites and eating way too fast. I have a lot to learn.

I am sure glad you are doing better!!! My dr's office gave me a tiny baby spoon to remind me to eat nothing bigger than the bowl of that little plastic spoon.

Keep us posted! I use Flonase. I didn't know that it made you more suseptible to sinus infections. I'm going to try to ween myself off of it. I'm sorry you've had problems, but you've been a big help!!

Leener,

I'm so glad to hear you're doing better. I've been thinking about you. You know if when you switch to solids and your symptoms flare then back off and listen to your body. Mmmm, more Protein shakes...On a happy note my house smells like Thanksgiving-I found a recipe for pumpkin muffins made with almond flour so low carb, and the smell...

BJean,

Don't feel like you have to wean yourself off of flonase unless you're having recurrent sinus infections. It's a great product ((as she glances over at her Flonase clock and pen from the pharmacy rep)) It has really helped me sleep better and my allergies are much worse when I don't use it. Talk to your doctor about it.

mbprn: the reason I thought I should get off Flonase is because I seem to get a sinus infection every time I miss a dose or two - like when we traveled and I forgot to bring it. We call my doctor "candy man" and he doesn't really care what I take. Don't get me started on that!

But I do know it's a good drug. My DH's life has been changed by it. He has always had allergies so bad and pre-Flonase, he spent several months a year in utter misery.

I hear what you're saying though. Self-diagnosis and self-medicating is a dangerous business. Thanks!

By the way... how are you doing??? I see that you're recently banded. I've been online reading about people who aren't losing and are giving up on the band. I haven't had the surgery yet and I'm trying to figure things out.

Did you have a rough time after surgery? How are you doing now?

BJean,

I didn't mean to sound lecturey (I don't know if that's a word) I just didn't want you to go off of it because of something stupid I said.

Me, I'm doing well. It's a daily journey. I kind of foolishly thought once I got the band it would be easy. i.e. I just wouldn't be hungry. Ha!!

I was very hungry during liquid phase. Much better when I switched to mushies. I just graduated to soft solids and all of the rest seems like a bad dream (kinda like labor pains- once the baby's here you forget)

Well my baby is the 20lbs I've lost in the last 5 wks. I haven't had a fill yet and I have some restriction. The best part for me is looking at a huge plate of food and knowing not only can't I eat it, but that I don't want to.

Don't get me wrong I still get hungry I've just surrounded myself with things that I can grab quickly when I'm tempted to eat something not so great.

I've got low carb tortillas, sliced meat, sugar-free candy and Cookies, sf pudding etc. But if I'm just dying for a piece of cake I have it and then I'm done with it. I REFUSE to obsess about food anymore.

So far it's working. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Best of Luck.

You can get a good Wedge pillow and knee pillow at Footsmart.com. I use it and it has helped me tremendously along with Prilosec, Zanax, Mylanta, Rolaids, not eating 3-4 hours before bed, and simethicone tablets. Once you get used to sleeping sitting up, you can get a good night's sleep. Some nights I don't wake up at all, but on other nights, despite the pillows and the meds, I still have reflux and wake up 2-3 times per night. My reflux symptoms didn't occur until after I was banded, but I can't definitely say they are related since I had been banded for quire awhile before the symptoms occurred. Good luck!