Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Journey - 1 Year Anniversary

This is such a big day for me..... I started this journey around age 13 when I joined Weight Watchers with my mom. I remember the lady teaching me about the food groups I would be eating and how to measure my food. I remember in 9th grade the popular girl telling me she noticed that I lost weight and looked good, I felt so good at that moment, and that my hard work was paying off. Fast forward 31 years, 2 kids later; a lot years of being self-conscious of my body image, size and how I always felt fat next to my freinds. A lot of my money spent on Weight Watchers, Phen Phen pills, Jenny Craig and every fad diet that came along. I knew I was never going to lose the weight AND maintain it off the rest of my life.. It just seemed impossible for me....

I am grateful for 1 year ago today. I am grateful for being able to put my surgery expenses on a credit card. I am grateful to Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos and his staff. I am grateful for the person that invented and pioneered the Vertical Sleeve, I am grateful to my husband for saying yes I can have the surgery, and yes I changed my mind you can go to Mexico. I have been grateful everyday for the past 365 days for taking the leap of faith and having this particular surgery. I still think about it everyday.

My stats- I went from a size 18 to a size 8 and I kissed Lane Bryant goodbye forever. I liked her because I was on the smaller side in her store..... That was my rationalization as I snuck in and out of her store hoping to go unnoticed by someone I might know. Now it's Macy's and Nordstrom and Target and Loft. I would like to say you will save money on food by not eating as much or spending as much on ordering in a restaurant. The truth is you will more than make up for it going shopping and finding that most of the things you try on actually fit you, look good on you and you have to try on a lower size than you thought you were.

For those who are thinking of taking the journey, or are newly sleeved, all I can say is it's worth it! I won't say it's easy, it's not a cake walk, there are days I miss my intimate relationship with food and I want to be able to gorge myself silly. There are times when I go out to eat with new people I've met in the past year that don't know about my surgery, I get anxiety about how I am going to maneuver through ordering small on the menu because it's obvious I can't eat much and silly for me to order a big plate. In trade-off I don't miss the guilt every time I ate, or the embarrassment of what I ate in front of people, or the embarrassment of seeing myself in pictures that reiterated the denial I wanted to be in. Also, I lost a lot of hair. Honestly, I have thin hair and not a lot of it as it is... the surgery thinned it out more. I am bummed about that, but it doesn't take away from my happiness of being "thin." I take Bioten and a Multi-Vitamin everyday, hoping my hair will get back to where it was before surgery.

I feel like I was given a gift of a vehicle that I can use to control my intake. I work hard to get the Protein in and I still stumble with my love for sweets, but I don't have the everyday guilt and shame I carried around all of these years. It feels awesome to walk in a room and I am not the fattest, I am one of the thinnest or what I consider average. I have 2 small children - 5 and 6 years old. I did it for them, so I can teach them to eat better and take better care of themselves. I want them to be proud of how their mommy looks and takes care of herself as they grow up. I wanted to be healthier and have more energy and a more positive outlook on life, I am a better parent because of the surgery.

I need to exercise more, I really haven't exercised much the past year. I never liked it but I did it to help control my weight. I know it's good for my health and will help me tone my body, I need to incorporate it into my life. My next step is focusing on maintaining my size 8 and being healthier through exercise.

Thank you for reading about my journey.... I used this forum to give me courage to have the surgery and a place to go when I needed questions answered or forum of friends that can relate to me.... I am grateful for this forum too. post-35842-13813669327326_thumb.png

post-7785-13813658581268_thumb.jpg

An amazing journey!! Congrats on all your success! That smile on your face speaks for itself. You look fab!! :)

If you dont mind me asking, can you please share with us what your starting/surgery weight was and how much you have lost in one year? I love reading stories like this. They keep me (and everyone here) motivated.

I have 2 small children - 5 and 6 years old. I did it for them, so I can teach them to eat better and take better care of themselves. I want them to be proud of how their mommy looks and takes care of herself as they grow up.

Your kids look amazing and I'm very sure they are very proud of you! At this age, they truly need the inspiration to take care of themselves.

Wow! Your story is really something to look forward to. Sometimes it feels like these days are moving so slowly. I feel like one of my high school students that can't imagine life outside of school, away from the drama and growing up. For me, I can't imagine being one year post sleeve and at or near goal. Like you, I was size 16/18 when I had my surgery. I have lost about 27 pounds which I am very happy with, but I read so much about stalling and frustrations, and I'm so scared that this surgery , like all of those other things I've tried that have failed, is something that I will fail at too. Thank you for hope and inspiration. Congratulations to you!!!

Congratulations on your success!! That is amazing and inspiring. I really hope I can say the same things when I am a year out. Good job!

Congrats on your success! Such an inspiration!!!

Wow.... What an awesome story!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Great story! Enjoy your new life!

I love your story!!! Congrats!!!

Little bits

What a great story ! Congratulations on your success thus far.

These are the stories I like to read. I'm just starting out on my journey, and while Im scared at the idea of having surgery, I KNOW its the right thing for me and my kids.

Your story is awesome, inspirational, and heart warming. If I may ask, what was your starting weight and what is it now? Did you have any complications?

Congrats on your success, and happy 1 year surgiversary!!

An amazing journey!! Congrats on all your success! That smile on your face speaks for itself. You look fab!! :)

If you dont mind me asking, can you please share with us what your starting/surgery weight was and how much you have lost in one year? I love reading stories like this. They keep me (and everyone here) motivated.

Your kids look amazing and I'm very sure they are very proud of you! At this age, they truly need the inspiration to take care of themselves.

Thank you so very, very much! I am happy to give you my stats - I am 45 years old, 5'5" and on the day of surgery I weighed 210.5lbs. Today I weigh 143.5lbs. I found an app on my IPhone that I love to help keep me in check - It's called Target Weight. I log it every Wednesday and it helps to keep me motivated and balance out the successful weeks with the less successful weeks in my journey. I found that I can see the ebbs and flows of my weight loss (usually attached to the weeks surrounding my time of the month).

Wow! Your story is really something to look forward to. Sometimes it feels like these days are moving so slowly. I feel like one of my high school students that can't imagine life outside of school, away from the drama and growing up. For me, I can't imagine being one year post sleeve and at or near goal. Like you, I was size 16/18 when I had my surgery. I have lost about 27 pounds which I am very happy with, but I read so much about stalling and frustrations, and I'm so scared that this surgery , like all of those other things I've tried that have failed, is something that I will fail at too. Thank you for hope and inspiration. Congratulations to you!!!

Thank you! Don't be scared about stalls, they happen and it's not something to get worried about as long as you know know you are not over eating or going crazy. It's your body adjusting to your new food intake and body size. Get worried when a few months go by and you are not even close to where you want to be. I mentioned in my reply above the app I used, it's called TargetWeight. I think it was free and it really helped me because it graphed the journey and I still use and log every week so I can compare each week-to-week and week to month etc.

Please know, it isn't an easy journey and it will never be an easy journey as far as handling your food issues. I get full so easy and what I mean is that it's not that my stomach feels full, it's that a trap door shuts down in my throat and says "no more food" or you will throw up. Sometimes there is actually food in my mouth when this happens and I have to casually spit it out into a napkin so no one notices. If I try and take it in, I am getting myself to a bathroom asap to throw up. Anyway, I am happy to take this problem in exchange for all of the guilt I felt after eating or the embarassment of standing next to my husband when he introduced his fat wife... lol! Good luck on your journey and I am here for you if you need a support friend. :)

i am greatful for your story!!!!

honored for you to share it with us as I resonate with it on so many levels.

Thank you !

Thanks for the great story!

I am due to be sleeved on May 10th by Dr Kelly & sometimes rethink my decision to be sleeved. But it is when I read stories like yours that I know it is all worth it!