Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Can't Do Th Is. I Still Want To Do The Hernia Repair Though.

I struggled so much last night! I could not sleep. I tossed around in bed. I finally got up, ate an apple and some crackers! I asked God to send me a sign if I should do it or not. So far, I just feel it in my heart that I do not want to do it. I will try it on my own. I will try and eat better and excersise. That is the only way I can think of to loose weight. I started the preop diet yesterday and i felt like crap! i felt dizzy; i was at Walmart buying items and i thought i was going to faint. I dont' want to get mal nutrition later.

I don't know. Just real scared and i Just think i will be healthier if i am able to nourish my body with quantiites that are not so tiny.

If I loose 40 pounds, I will be happy: I am 200 right now. so if i loose 40, I will be at 160 and I can live with that.

I kinda feel like a failure for not being brave enough to do this, but the minute that my heart told me not to do it..my heart felt happier! It seemed like my stress level went down.

If you dont feel ready for this dont do it. You know in your heart what you need to do so follow that feeling. Best of luck to you in whatever you choose!

I agree if you're having doubts don't do it. 200 is not so bad. You can lose 40lbs. You need to be 110% sure about your decision. The pre op diet sucks. I'm sure that made ur decision. Lol. But it does get better. The first 2 days suck. Then ur body gets used to it.

Listen to your heart ~ if you are not mentally ready, you should not undergo surgery. When folks decide to undergo VSG they are making a lifetime committment to follow the "rules" - small portions, Protein first always, lots of liquids, etc. If you want to try to do it on your own, you should give it a try. I will tell you that for me it was the only way to go after years of losing, gaining, losing, gaining more I was ready to get off of the roller coaster. I am two weeks out and I have lost 21 lbs. The last time I lost 21 lbs. I was training for a half-marathon AND eating right AND it took me 15 weeks. Also, just to normalize for you I think a lot of us go through what you are going through - the mental anguish of deciding to actually go through with it. Even in the pre-op room with my IVs in I was ready to say get me outta here. They took a last minute pregnancy test in Pre-op and I was secretly hoping I would be pregnant so I wouldn't have to go through with it. LOL. Trust me, the anxiety you are feeling is very normal. Best of luck to you with whatever decision you make.

If you are unsure, I support your decision to wait. Diet and exercise does work for many people and 40 lbs is not that much to lose. Surgical options are not going away so in the years to come if you change your mind you can explore surgery again.

I would say, don't let the hell of the pre op diet make your decision for you. That said, if you are truly not ready, then by all means, do not go forward! It's a huge step and it's a lifetime of adjusted lifestyle. For me, it was the only option, because I always always always regained, no matter what. I was 100% ready, and I still had a rude awakening! LOL Make the choice that is best for you.

Sweetie, do what YOU think you are ready for. If I could have lost 160 and stayed there, I would have rathered NEVER have this surgery... I just couldn't do it. I HAVE done it many times, but keeping it off never happened for me..... and my cholesterol was up, my thyroid is crazy and I don't want heart disease nor diabetes. My ob/gyn scared the heck out of me and finally just laid it all out for me (God bless).

It's not an easy fix, sleeve surgery. I had tons go wrong (I'm that 1 % that you read about, grrr). But would I do it again? Even on my worst day, today I say YES, I'd do it again. Was it scary? Yes. Was it awful? Yes, sometimes. Your feelings are totally normal. But know this.... would I do it again? Yes.

After the sleeve surgery, hunger is just head hunger really - or habit. I'm having to learn cues from my body again. Remember, whenever you are sleeved they remove the gherlin from your belly. You don't suffer (as you might be in the pre op diet) - you have to remind yourself to eat, to get your liquids in, to get your Protein in. As for such small portions... well what's 'normal'? We eat these vast quantities and have no idea how little our body needs. Just words for thought.

I wish you the best of luck, whichever avenue you pursue! 40 lbs isn't alot to lose... and if you choose to 'stay natural' .. I wish you to lose it AND to keep it off mamacita!

Sweetie, do what YOU think you are ready for. If I could have lost 160 and stayed there, I would have rathered NEVER have this surgery... I just couldn't do it. I HAVE done it many times, but keeping it off never happened for me..... and my cholesterol was up, my thyroid is crazy and I don't want heart disease nor diabetes. My ob/gyn scared the heck out of me and finally just laid it all out for me (God bless).

It's not an easy fix, sleeve surgery. I had tons go wrong (I'm that 1 % that you read about, grrr). But would I do it again? Even on my worst day, today I say YES, I'd do it again. Was it scary? Yes. Was it awful? Yes, sometimes. Your feelings are totally normal. But know this.... would I do it again? Yes.

After the sleeve surgery, hunger is just head hunger really - or habit. I'm having to learn cues from my body again. Remember, whenever you are sleeved they remove the gherlin from your belly. You don't suffer (as you might be in the pre op diet) - you have to remind yourself to eat, to get your liquids in, to get your Protein in. As for such small portions... well what's 'normal'? We eat these vast quantities and have no idea how little our body needs. Just words for thought.

I wish you the best of luck, whichever avenue you pursue! 40 lbs isn't alot to lose... and if you choose to 'stay natural' .. I wish you to lose it AND to keep it off mamacita!

Your words really helped me. Everyone on here is really helpful, but I really liked your thoughts. I love you guys. Yall are so supportive! I feel like I have friends that really do care without judging my decision.

Tears are in my eyes right now: I just don't know what to feel. I have never felt this anguish before. I look outside my window right now, and the trees are moving and the leaves are blowing and it is such a nice beautiful day outside. I have 4 lovely children and I don't want to ever do anything that would jeopordize me not being healthy for them. I know they need me. I spoke to my coordinator this morning and she was also so understanding. she does not want to rush me, and her words also helped me a lot.

I wish that these things were easy. never in my mind would of i imagined that this decision would be so difficult. I mean i have had a C Section, A Breast Lift, Lip Suction, gall bladder surgery; and yet, this one i am not sure why it is so difficult!

The pre-op gets better, don't let that one day of misery change your mind. But in complete honestly, if I "only" had 40 lbs to lose, I would not do this surgery either.

It's not an easy decision is why! Postpone for now and know it's always an option. Just do whatever you can to be healthy for you and your family. Hugs.

You gotta do what you gotta do. When I got it in my mind to get surgery, nothing would stop me. It was almost over night for me. Now I have 0 regrets. Its not always that easy, but if/when you ever do get the surgery, you won't regret it.

....I did not want or get surgery for many years before finally changing my mind....

Yeah, don't do the surgery with so many doubts. I didn't have any and I think that played into my good attitude and success with it so far.

Just for the record, I'm anything but malnourished. Eventually I will eat like a normal thing person.

With me, I could lose some weight, but then I went back to the sheer volume of food me and the old stomach were used to and gained it all back plus some. Before surgery I was at my highest weight ever and going up daily. I couldn't sleep. My husband says I would gasp for air every two minutes. I had just become diabetic. I had fatty liver disease, high blood pressure and I was dying.

Now the apnea is gone, the diabetes and fatty liver are gone and everything is at normal levels.

For me I couldn't NOT have the surgery. You have to be sure.

If you are sure you don't want to, then no one should give you any grief over your decision. I would just urge you to think it over and be sure before you give up your surgery date. But if you are sure, then I'm glad you stopped in time.

I didn't have as much to lose as many, so I too had the idea that I should lose with diet and exercise. I was going to get a lap-band about seven years ago, and then changed my mind because I was going to do it myself. While I am glad I didn't get the lap-band, I did waste those seven years not losing on my own, and actually gaining some. I spent seven years avoiding work events with my husband, seven years not buying clothes, seven years feeling worthless and gross. Seven years of mostly socializing on the internet, not in person, etc. So one day, I woke up and said "I can't do this on my own" and started the approval process.

I got approval and my surgery date in under two weeks. I put it out of my mind during those two weeks, and I had a really easy pre-op diet (low fat/vegetarian). The day of surgery, there was a delay, and I LOST IT. I was crying. I wanted to leave the hospital. I wanted that IV out of my hand. My poor husband was at a loss for what to do. I was determined to just do it myself through diet and exercise. The pain was going to be too horrific to bear! The nurse came to check on me and gave me some valium and I went through with the surgery. The discomfort was there afterwards, but nothing unbearable and three months out I have to remind myself that there was discomfort.

The point of all that is that I think it is completely normal to have second thoughts about a huge decision like this. Many have posted that they have thought about not going through with it. It is a huge adjustment. Your head is going to rebel against this, even if it IS the right decision. That's why I say give it plenty of thought.

4ALongerLife is right, for most the battle with the pre-op diet hunger does not really exist after surgery. You might have head hunger. I eat more out of obligation than anything right now. A liquid diet for two weeks before surgery would have been very tough for me. I might have "cheated". I think the surgeons know that many will cheat on that diet.

Best wishes to you! Keep us posted, regardless, okay?

I could not agree more with what has already been said. Just know that we are all here for you regardless. It did made me think of my cold feet as my wedding date approached 4 years ago, in every major life decision is normal to second guess yourself. This is a major life changing decision that only you can make, best of luck!