Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

O.K. Here we go.... last night I had some tea right before I went to bed...I know a big no no. Well I woke up several times in the night coughingchoking. This morning when I take deep breaths it hurts in my chest. And I have a temp... What could be causing this? Could some of the Fluid got in my lungs?? Please help me!!

I just got banded 5/26, so I'm a new dummy. Are we not supposed to have tea? Is that hot tea, iced tea, etc.? I really have a lot to learn. You have done great on your weight loss! I hope you're feeling better today.

Yes, you can have tea; you are just not supposed to eat or drink 3 hours before you lay down....Thanks for the Congrats:)

Kelly -

Aspiration pneumonia is a hot topic on the boards right now, so hopefully that is not what you have. However, if you are not feeling better soon, or if your temp doesn't come down, you should probably see your doc and mention that you woke up coughing and choking, and that you'd like to rule out aspiration pneumonia. :think

Sorry, girl. Hope you're feeling better soon!!

I am new too and I have never heard that, you can't eat or drink 3 hours before you lay down? Why is that? Pretty hard to get all the fluids in the day already, if I did that it would even be more difficult.

Please explain????

Thanks

Kathy

Dr. Lopez

May 21, 2004

Kelly, I hope you're feeling better today!! Please let us know when you can.

Kathy, this again is one of those "your mileage may vary" things. Personally, I drink quite a bit of Water in the hour or two before going to bed; it helps me fight the urge to nibble. I also take Vitamins in the evening after brushing my teeth, a practice I asked my doctor about and he said it was fine.

Not eating in the hours before sleeping just makes sense, since it's better to go to bed with an empty pouch. Even without a band, that's standard advice for anyone who is a) prone to heartburn, or :D trying to lose weight. Banded people are obviously :D and may be more likely to be a), so the advice is especially apt for us. But it's not a hard-and-fast rule that is given to people upon banding or anything like that.

Oh No!

This is the first that I have heard about three hour rule! Normally when I frink or eat before bed it's normally Water and ice cream ( I know I know.....but it's not a daily thing). I will now take that advice into consideration......

Birdee

I have never heard that either I can't imagine that I don't even get home from work until about 7 and it's usually 8 before I eat and then I wait 30 min to an hour to drink so that seems difficult but I guess it cvan be done but i haven't any problems yet thank God, ginny

299/275/130

I've never heard that rule either and I usually have tea around 10 with bedtime being around 12. I'm surprised to hear that rule because I'm assuming that the liquid (tea) would go right past the band into your lower stomach anyway so you would not be going to sleep with a full pouch. Am I wrong in this assumption? Thanks and I hope you are feeling better.

I don't understand why you can not drink 3 hours before laying down. I have always thought that the liquids go right through the band? I was never told this by my doctor, nor is it in my post op instructions

Michelle

4/6/04

265/240/160ish

Dr Ortiz

If you don't eat for an hour or two before going to drinking, liquids should indeed go right through. I think the general advice is aimed more at food.

If you're not experiencing any problems, drinking in the evening is nothing to worry about.

I had another episode last night and I didn't eat or drink 2 hours before bed. So, I just wanted to let everyone know that I am going in this afternoon to have some saline removed; not all of it, just some of it. Somehow over time my fill has gave me super restriction. My last fill was on Jan 9. In the morning if I take a sip of milk, it all comes back up. I just tried to go eat lunch with my husband and child and I had maybe 3 bites of brown gravy with mashed potatoes, very thin, and 3 kernels of corn and it got stuck and came back up. I am only 20-30 lbs away from goal and figure I can lose that by exercising on my own. I don't think I could go another day like this. I thought that maybe it would loosen up, but it has not. So off to the Dr I go at 4:15:)

Good for you for taking care of this, Kelly. It sounds like few people can handle the same tightness of fill when the get/are close to goal. I don't know why that would be, but that's what a lot of people report.

I hope this slight unfill still helps with your appetite, but allows you to eat without reflux!