Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Story So Far (Long)

I was sleeved on 3/15 and I'm starting to think that picking the Ides of March was maybe not such a good idea.

While the surgery went fine without any major complications (one of my incisions still continues to leak fluids), I am having a really rough time. For the first two weeks I was on Clear liquids only and then the next two weeks (my current stage) is full liquids. While I will admit the Clear Liquids phase was rough, I thought the next phase would be better for me.

My biggest problem is that I am incredibly weak and feeling dizzy constantly. I have been likening it to being stoned but not in the good way. I just feel very disconnected. When I went to see the doc this past week I was told to up my calories and intake more sugar. I found this rather ironic since the NUT told me to do as much sugar free stuff as possible. Literally everything I had to eat or drink was sugar free with the exception of G2 but I had already been living off of that during the first phase. When I asked the doc and the NUT about Protein they said to get as much as you can in but didn't expect me to hit the 70oz mark until after the first six weeks. I can't drink Protein shakes as they make me incredibly nauseous but I am finding other ways of getting protein in (i.e., yogurts and cheese). I thought the weakness would be gone by now but it isn't. In actuality, I think it's getting worse even with the increase in sugar and protein intake. I can't function like this and definitely cannot drive like this, which is bad because one of my jobs is an hour away.

The worst part? I can't take any more time off of work. I'm part-time right now at both my jobs and at one of them they dock my pay for each day that I'm out. Also, as a college professor we're getting close to finals and I have a ton of preps and grading to do. However, in my current state of mind I cannot do the work as I'm making too many mistakes and missing important things while grading. My boss at one of the colleges, who is a bit of a d**k and doesn't know the specifics of my surgery because of that fact, has already threatened to pull my summer classes, which I need in order to put food on my table. While I am one of the first who praises that one's health should always come first, I'm afraid that right now it needs to come in second. If I pull out of my classes for the remainder of the semester even due to health reasons, my boss could and most likely would take away not only my summer classes but my fall ones as well (did I mention he was a d**k?). Luckily my other job isn't so bad and they are very understanding but right now I only have a few classes with them for the remainder of the year and they pay a lot less than the other college.

To top it all off, I've developed a pain in my left leg, which has me very nervous. I have a history of a DVT with a Pulmonary Embolism so I am already on Lovenox as I found out I have a blood clotting disorder. This pain is eerily familiar to me in a DVT sort of way but how could I have developed a DVT on blood thinners? I'll be keeping an eye on that and will call my doctor on Monday if the pain doesn't go away by then.

The only bright side to this right now has been my husband. He has been very understanding since I decided to have this surgery. He has been prepping all of my meals and done the food shopping for me. I can't do the latter as I almost passed out the last time I went out with him. He is incredibly worried about me right now and believes that having this surgery may have been a mistake. I won't go that far just yet but I am having some serious concerns. Yes, I've lost 18 pounds but at what cost? I've lost over three weeks of my life and things just aren't getting any better.

Thanks for listening. I don't know what advice anyone can give. I guess I just needed to get this out in the open to help me feel better.

I'm sorry you are having a rough time. Have you had your blood pressure checked and your blood sugar? If either of these is low it can cause you to feel dizzy and spaced out. Worth a shot to get both checked.

I know this isn't on your plan, but is there any way you can eat some mushies or purees? Many other doctors approve it for those about 3 weeks out. I know it helped me feel much better. I had the weakness/dizzy spells too and that it what helped me get out of it. Also, I make sure I drink tons of Water. I sincerely hope you start feeling better. I work online and take college courses online as well and that is probably the only reason I was able to handle everything. Even with taking college online, it was still a bit hard. I was having a hard time concentrating to write perfect APA format papers for my professors and my grades did suffer a bit at first. I hope things get better for you.

I was feeling the same, very weak. My dr gave me the go ahead to eat mushies. It helped so much.

I was exhausted too until I went on mushies. Luckily, that was week 3 for me. My energylevel went up alot, though I'm still stalled. (Since end of week 1.)I still tire easily, but it's improving.l I at least have hope for the future. I do think I'd feel alot better if I could start losing again though.

My NUT also told me it was okay to have drinks with sugar (without going overboard, of course) during the liquid phase, and I saw that that a few cups of tea with a teaspoon or two of sugar, or a few cups of hot cocoa a day really made a difference in my energy levels. I was getting in so few calories that I figured that the sugar wouldn't make a difference in the weight loss, and I was right - both my doctor and NUT said that the amount I lost was well above average for someone my size. So I would give that some serious consideration, and yes, also the mushies as others have recommended (I was already eating mushies in my second week, as per my NUT's recommendation, with soft foods in my third week).

Here's hoping that you feel MUCH better soon!

I hope things get better for you... I was very dizzy and weak until I started incorporating some more calories.. I would add Peanut Butter and banana to a Protein smoothie or mash a banana into my yogurt... I think the leg pain should be checked by your surgeon or PCP... My prayers and best wishes go out to you!! Please update us when you can...

I am sorry for your difficulties and pain. Do you think that Water intake could be an issue?

First off I hope u feel better soon and please do not get discouraged.

Prove the docs wrong and get ur Protein in I know u can do it! It's extremely hard but you will feel so much better. Just focus all day on recovery and drinking. I'm 5 weeks post op and I have no problem getting 100 + grams Protein but at first it was a fight. Try getting powder and adding as little Water as possible maybe only 6 oz so it's less for u to drink but u also can get ur protein in. If u drink them with soy or almond milk that also ups ur protein, carbs, and sugar but in a good way. Or if u have a fruity kind u can add it to ur g2.

Another tip, natural Peanut Butter. If u heat up soon just slightly.. About a tablespoon and try and suck on that for a while that's already about 100 calories and good sugars and fats. It goes down fairly easy.

I hope everything works out I had the exact same problems I passed out twice in my 3rd week and I was embaraased to tell anyone because i knew they would say something negative. Just know that u did make the right decision. Nothing worth having in life is easy and this is no exception. U r working through a battle for your health and you will win!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. :)

I have been intaking more sugar. On Saturday I even treated myself to a few spoonfuls of ice cream to help get my sugar levels higher. Bad, I know, but the doc said it was OK. It sems to be working a little. I still have that disconnected feeling but I'm not dragging as much as I was. I'll be starting soft foods on Friday so hopefully that will help with the lack of energy.

As for the leg, I'm going for a doppler tonight to rule out a blood clot.

I'm not regretting the surgery per se. I just wish my doctor had warned me about the after effects of the surgery and to take more time off than I did. If I had known this was going to happen to me in advance I would've done it over the summer break so I would have time to rest and recouperate.

Things get better (note sarcasm here). I do have a blood clot in my leg. Thankfully because I'm already on blood thinners I didn't have to be admitted but it's all taking a toll on me. Right now I am starting to regret the surgery.