Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared: What If This Is As Good As It Gets?

What if I always weigh almost 300 pounds??? I had my surgery Jan 24th. At first I was losing about half a pound a day, but after a couple of weeks, that slowed, then stopped. This month I have lost 6 pounds. My nutritionist told me the first six months you lose the fastest. I've lost 31 pounds in 9 weeks, most of it in the beginning. It's always been so HARD for me to lose weight. I had this done to be able to have my knees replaced, and now I'm worrying that my metabolism has just stopped and I'll never lose much more than this. Is this irrational? I know all about stalls, but the idea of not being able to lose more than I did on diets before surgery really makes me sad. Any thoughts or encouragment are welcome. This is the point on every other diet where I'd say "forget this!" and go have a big meal. I'd really like to be able to do that right now.

I am 3 months out and have stopped losing weight but i am still losing inches. you have to make sure u eat enough or else your body will try to hold on to the fat. high Protein and healthy carbs. your losing is not over trust me! make sure your drinking adequate Water too because if u get dehydrated you will feel tired and sick! i have had this feeling of what is the point i am not losing but trust me its not the end. your body needs some time to adjust to the changes that are happening. i hope this helped keep your chin up and dont give up! i hope this helps you!

I'm so sorry your scared. Can you tell us what your eating, how much, how often, are you exercising? We can give you more information if you can fill us in on these question areas. ;)

Take a deep breath.... and let all of this stuff go!!! It will work, you will lose the weight!!! We have to take things one day at a time and utilize our sleeves to the fullest!!! Sometimes changing up our eating, exercise, increasing our Water is what it takes to cause an end to the dreaded stall.. Try one of those things for a week until you find out what's working for you this time.. Our bodies are ever changing and what works this week, may not work next week or next month... Stress is counterproductive... so, breath and WORK YOUR SLEEVE!! You can do it!!!

I am so sorry you are frightened right now. The weight will come off. It can't not. You do not have a choice. You have so little tummy left. That's what I've been told at times of fear like this myself. And it is coming off even though I can't get out to excersize yet. I am looking to replace my knees also.This is my primary goal in my new health.

You can do this. I know you can. And so can I.

I haven't been able to post an actual weight loss since February, but I can see and feel the changes that are taking place in my body. I can feel and see muscles in my legs and arms that weren't there. I was reading a blog the other day where someone said she is now into "self molestation" because she keeps feeling her emerging bones and muscles, and I completely agree!

If you haven't taken measurements yet, do so now. You'll be surprised at the changes. :)

Keep your chin up cause your gonna get through this...look at old pictures and focus on reasons why you had this surgery to begin with.

I'm so sorry your scared. Can you tell us what your eating, how much, how often, are you exercising? We can give you more information if you can fill us in on these question areas. ;)

Thanks for all the encouragement! I'm feeling a little better today, but still not wildly excited about things. Another day with no weight loss!I'm trying to vary my calorie intake a bit each day. My past week looked like this:Tues (sick): 397, Wed: 1091; Thurs: 1201; Friday: 522; Sat: 904; Sunday: 1009; Monday: 746. Do you think I'm eating too much? I swim laps for 30 minutes every other day. I can't do anything else because of my bad knees.I have two Protein drinks per day, Vitamins, and as much Water as I can get in. I know I'm a bit low on fluids (maybe 40-50 ounces), but that's all I can get in without feeling sick all the time. I start and end my day with Water. My day is like this: Water; 2 soft boiled eggs; Protein drink; soup; protein drink; water; protein snack, such as peanut butter; water; dinner--A quarter cup of protein and veggies; evening snack, such as part of an Atkins bar or more peanut butter; water, bed. Honestly, I don't think I can go any lower than this. I haven't been able to eat things I would typically eat, such as chicken, tuna, salmon, or any dairy products at all, since I've had the surgery. And I've been ruthless about getting rid of foods that seem wonderful but have no nutritional value, such as my beloved Ritz crackers! I'm trying to change my relationship with food, but it seems that between me and my body, I'm the only one putting any effort into this.Thanks for "listening."

I wouldn't take the cal above 1200. You are doing great! Sometimes it takes us a little longer to get going. I personally believe that a slower weight loss is better than a fast weight loss. I know that I get impatient with myself because I want it now, now, now, and not later. So I have to work on my patience. Your diet looks really good. Maybe stop having a snack in the evening. On most days, I try to keep my cal at around 800 to 900. You are doing great at your point to get in 500. So keep it up, it will happen! Let your body adjust to the trauma of the surgery. Keep doing what your doing and it will come off. ;)

I wouldn't take the cal above 1200. You are doing great! Sometimes it takes us a little longer to get going. I personally believe that a slower weight loss is better than a fast weight loss. I know that I get impatient with myself because I want it now, now, now, and not later. So I have to work on my patience. Your diet looks really good. Maybe stop having a snack in the evening. On most days, I try to keep my cal at around 800 to 900. You are doing great at your point to get in 500. So keep it up, it will happen! Let your body adjust to the trauma of the surgery. Keep doing what your doing and it will come off. ;)

Thanks, Dorrie. I have a snack in the evening because I'm one of those lucky ones who's hungry every 2 hours. Without a snack, I wake up in the middle of the night--something I have never done before. It worries me that I can eat so much at this point, although 250 calories a day are from my Protein drinks. I'll just keep plugging away here. I'm just impatient because I'm in so much pain and want to lose another 40 pounds fast so I can get my knees replaced!

I appreciate all the encouragement from everyone! What would I do without this board?