Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Info on banding at BMI 35

Guest lkp

Hi gang! I have been reading for about a week and I love your chat. You will have to excuse my typing skills as I am not very computer literate. I am interested in banding. I called some doctors in the area ( Indiana), but none very interested in seeing me for a consult because my BMI is 35. No high blood pressure or heart disease YET. But I hate to be on a perpetual diet only to get heavier and heavier. I don't think I have coverage anyway at least not at a BMI of 35. They said I needed to gain 20-30- lbs. Sorry, not dong it, at least not on purpose!! The doctors in Mexico will do it and I have the funds (praise God!) to do it. I don't know how to pick a good doctor or if I will be able to be followed here once I have my band. Also, is there anyone who has had BMI of around 35 who has a success story for me?

Thanks

Linda

Yet to be banded

Closer to your side of the continent, Dr. Roberto Rumbaut Diaz in Monterrey, MX, was my choice (much higher BMI) because he had done (back then) over 1400 bands AND because he is a band patient. Besides Dr. Rumbaut, Dr. Sanchez in Monterrey is also very experienced. Follow up is always a hassle whe surgery is done elsewhere. There are others here on the left coast and one in the middle. they are all experienced. And, there's always Europe. Favretti, in Italy; Weiner in Germany; Cardiere (sp?) in Belgium and others.

Are you, like me, a big city girl and more comfortable in a big city hospital? Or would you be more comfortable in smaller hospital, with only one or two doctors, but with very attentive staff? Welcome, and what is your pleasure?

(My husband is from Perry County.)

Hi

I started with a BMI of 35. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and still couldn't get insurance to pay without gaining about 40-50 pounds. I decided to go to Mexico and self pay. I used Dr Ponce de leon in TJ and liked him and his staff fine. I did find a local Dr for fills and follow uo and that is an important .

The thing to remember with the lower BMI is that weight loss

WILL be much slower. I had surgery 2/29 and have lost 20 pounds. Not a huge loss but a steady downward tren. Since I want to lose 60 pounds I figure this is a 1/3 of my loss and that makes the slower loss easier to take. Some of the large numbers people post can be a little discouraging (lik e lose 30 pounds in 1st post-op week) so I try to find a way to think of it to keep my motivation high!

Good luck, with your decision making process. I have not regretted it yet!

Lisa

Hi Linda,

My bmi was 35. My insurance refused to pay no matter what my bmi was so, off to Mexico I went. Dr. Pedro Kuri did my surgery in Tijuana. I was banded March 5th and I've lost almost 30 lbs. I expect it to take me 1 1/2 to 2 years to reach goal (I'm trying to be realistic) but if it comes sooner, that's great! :D

I have been unable to find a local fill doctor and so I travel back to Tijuana to Dr. Kuri for my fills. (I'm still looking though). I planned on the repeat visits financially when I started this journey. My biggest concern is finding someone to see me if I have complications down the road.

BTW, Lisa who is your local fill doctor? I'm not in Jacksonville but very willing to travel north.

Good luck with your decision.

Marsha:D

Hi Marsha,

I go to Dr Shariat in Jacksonville Beach. He charges $450 for the first fill and $250 after that I could probably go to TJ for about the same price, but I have to time off work etc. I also wanted to find someone closer to home in case anything went "wrong". I know there are Dr's in Ocala and Orlando area that will do fills for MX pt's. Send me an e-amil if you would like more info.

You are doing great with a 30# loss! Keep up the good work.

Lisa

Dr. Lopez and Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana used to be partners and are both highly experienced. They split the partnership because the practice got too busy. Dr. Lopez did mine, but I also met Dr. Ortiz. I highly recommend either one. I found a follow-up doctor in Las Vegas where I live, but I'll go back to Mexico when I'm ready for a fill to save money. Dr. Teng in Vegas charges $150 for a consult plus $300 for a fill plus the hospital's charges for doing the fill under flouroscopy. I wouldn't feel safe getting a fill unless the doc could see what he was doing. I'm a little worried about my port, which still isn't healed, so maybe I'll get a fill before I need one just so my doc can take a look at my band to make sure all's well.

Guest lkp

I wish I knew how to use all of these fancy-smancy computer ions ect but I don't. I obviously need to consult with my teenage daughter who can IM at the speed of sound. Thanks for all of the advice and recommendations of physicians. I am planning a September band. It will be the first opportunity to take a week off work ( fly to Mexico, couple days of recovery). Hopefully, I can find a local physician for emergencies and fills by that time. If not I will travel back to Mexico, but it makes me nervous not having local back-up. I will travel Chicago or Louisville or Cinny if anyone knows anyone willing to follow MexicanBanders (sounds strange doesn't it?)

Thanks for the info.

Linda

Yet to be banded

Guest jka

Hi I just got banded on sat 5/29/04 with Dr. Lopez-Corvala, he is great. Go the the website www.belighter.com and look at the site then call annmarie, she is also a bandster, she is great, she'll give you all the info you need. Good luck.

Guest jka

thanks, please do

Hi Linda,

I just got banded by Dr. Rumbaut on the 28th of May. He and his staff were excellent. Everything went down just like they said it would, and I would recommend him also. I was so impressed with the care I recieved from them, I just think he's the bomb!

My BMI is 36, and I had to self pay like you. Good Luck.

Denise

225/ hoping 150

If you go directly through Dr. Lopez's office, you save lots of money. I think Bandlite is a referral service because I didn't use them. I called his office direct and saved money.

I was banded by Dr. Morton, Southern Hills Medical Center, Nashville, TN (615-832-8186). My BMI was 37. The fills are $150. The staff is great to work with. I believe the self pays cost around $12,000 but don't quote me on that.

Just a suggestion since Nashville isn't that far from Indy. I will be going back to my 25 year class reunion in Logansport, Indiana next month. My goal is to attend the reunion weighing in the 150's.

Without the band, I would have been trying one diet after another to try to lose the weight to go to the reunion.

Good Luck!

Kathy

I am going to Dr. Rumbaut on sept.7th and having surgery on the 8th. I would like to follow you and see how you do. Our BMI is almost the same also. Good luck you took the first step. Any Down side so far? are you sick at all?

I am 10 days post op, and I haven't had any pain, or problems with my port. I am on thin liquids and I wouldn't mind chewing something, but I've lost 15 lbs already! I am thrilled about this.

You're going to love Dr. Rumbaut. My incisions are virtually invisible and I haven't had any leaking or pain, I can even sleep on my stomach if I roll over gently. I did have some problem post op with nausea, but I'm sure I had a virus. The doctors were very attentive and did all they could to get me past it.

Good Luck to you, I know you will be glad you chose Dr. Rumbaut.