Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can Army Veterans Get This Procedure?

I assume you mean through your military benefits, and not civilian? If so, Tricare started covering the sleeve effective 2010. I'm not sure what their current requirements are for surgery or for revision, but I know that in 2010 my father had to have his lap-band removed and wanted a revision to a sleeve but it was denied. I'm pretty sure they do require a 6 month supervised diet. There are some MTFs that perform the surgery but I have no idea which.

Try searching "tricare" here and you will find some good information.

HTH

My dad is retired USAF and is going through Tricare. Requires 6 month diet and all the steps.

I'm an military (Army) dependent. I know that during the informative meetings (held at BAMC bariatrics department on Fort Sam Houston) there were many people who are retirees.

As far as Tricare requirements go I have gone through 3 months of nutrition classes, a psych evaluation, Xrays and a sleep study. Thoughs who have sleep apnea are required to go through 6 months using their CPAP machine before they are allowed the surgery.

Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your intel... Im now a veteran and hoping I can have the procedure done... So please if anyone has any additional information at all it will be greatly appreciated... And congrats to you all on your WLS and good luck on all your steps to your goal

Yes I am retired Army and I was covered by Tri-care. If you are a vet and authorized care at VA facilities then you are covered. I believe you have to have at least a 30% disabllity for VA to cover the procedure. Good Luck.

I just wanted to point out that as of last week, VSG still wasn't covered by Tricare. However, with the new provider contracts being awarded we have it just might be covered in the very near future. Here's hoping!

That said, many MTFs do the procedure. Do not confuse this with Tricare covering the procedure - they're two different things! Frequently people get excited that Tricare now covers this because they had it done at their MTF but it is not the same thing at all; many MTFs provide services not normally covered under Tricare. I'm an active duty spouse and had to self-pay because they would only cover bypass, band or the old stapling procedure.

So, for folks that live very close to a MTF that does the sleeve or that live in a region under a provider that already covers the sleeve (United Healthcare, West region), I hear it's not that difficult to get done. If you're remote, it's far more difficult. I know several women that were told it was covered and were referred off post only to have it denied prior to surgery. Two of them then went through the appeals process and ultimately lost their appeals. If you're remote, it's NOT easy to get it through the system, though that might change.

Somewhere around this forum is a list of MTFs that offer bariatric surgeries and if any of them are near you, I'm sure you're odds of getting it done without self-paying are far better.

The first step is always to make an appointment with your PCM and go from there! And please, come back and update with your results (if you're getting it done, if Tricare is paying or if it's through the MTF and which MTF is doing treatment) because many people under Tricare are trying to get the sleeve done and the more info we have out here the more help for everyone.

~Cheri

I am a veteran but I don't have 30% disability. My procedure is being covered by BCBS but I am going to see if they will pay anything towards my out of pocket expenses ie. deductible and copay will post back as soon as I find out either today or tomorrow. Good Luck

Ok so I just got my military medical takin care of so I have free health care for the next five years so does that mean I can now talk to my medical docs about the procedure or do I need a secondary care plan?

I have a 43.9 BMI at 5'7 280 pounds... Do u guys think ill qualify

With a BMI of 40+ u automatically qualify

With a BMI of 35-39 u need a secondary co-mobidity

Yes, you should call your local VA to find out.