Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i wanted to share my day at the doctors

alright my appiontment at the band doc was at 11:45 am so i got there 20 mon early hoping to get in a little early. no i was taken in at 1145. I see a doctor come in to the room. i have never seen him befor. he said my doctor had an emergency at the hospital and he was going to see me. i feel very confortable at this piont. i told him that i was upstate and while upthere i had a complete unfilll. he said ok so i guess your getting a fill today. 11:50 i get on that flor.. x ray machine. i had no restiction at all. ok so he lays me back on the machine and starts to feel around for my port. he couldn't feel it so he puts a penny were he believes the port is and uses the x ray to see if he was close. he said yah i am a little close. he takes out a needle. tries going for the port. he said nope the needle is to small. so he takes out this long long needle, i start sweting.he puts the needle in. he can't find the port agien. he uses the x ray agien. says it a little to the left of were i got it now...... to make the story much shorter

5 x rays - a broken needle -not to much blood -pain up the ying yang-and a hour later i finally get a fill, the doctor fish around in my stomach for an hour looking for my port, i wanted to say just stop and get anouther doctor but i didnt want to make him feel bad. - still very unconfortable by my port, but i guess it will go away.

ok i shared my day at the docs, any one ever go through that

I would sure give my regular Doctor a little insight on who is backing him up when hes not there and also find out before I go next time if you regular Doctor is in . I am sorry that you had a bad day I hope the rest of the day is better...

He broke the needle?! What?! Wow... that sounds like hell. Hopefully you won't get him again!

Take care,

Mandi

Yikes! I would certainly have told him to go get someone else - make HIM feel bad? !! You must be crazy. How bad did he make YOU feel?

I won't hesistate to tell the surgeon I'm using for fills NO if he tries to give me a fill himself ever again. If it's not going to be his PA, Arlene, I'm leaving the office without a fill. (Read my LBT Journal to understand WHY!)

You should have taken the needle away and stabbed him in the face with it.

Did he try to palpitate to find your port at all? Usually all my surgeon needs to do is push around to find the port, then he marks the center with a pen mark, then puts the needle where the mark is. Once he had some trouble finding it so he had me do a partial sit up, felt around, had to maneuver the needle a little, but nothing that caused pain.

That's awful!!! I once had a PA try to do a fill on me (under fluoro) and she poked me 5 times and bent the needle. I finally said, "No more...go and get the doctor."

He said she was learning. I said not very well, she isn't.

If it makes you feel ANY better...for my first fill...my surgeon, who does this ALL the time...had to stick me...get this, SEVEN times. I could count the red dots on my stomach. He couldn't hit the port and then the needle wasn't long enough. It was ALL I could do to keep from crying.

I TOTALLY know where you are at right now. Big hugs!!!

I have a 3 stick rule. If they can't get it by 3 sticks. They're done. This type of re-sticking is how some wind up with leaks in their tubing. Which means more business for the doc and more surgery time for you. I told my doc I wasn't interested in participating in any more surgery than I absolutely needed to, so random sticking is a NO NO.

I am VERY lucky in the fill department too, apparently....

My doctor can turn on the x-ray machine and it shows a live picture of my insides so he can see exactly what he is doing the whole time. It is really cool, I have never seen an x-ray machine do a live action picture before.

One stick only every time.... Knock on wood.

yah the doctor had that live x ray and he used it.. the last and final try i believe thats the only reason why he got it and he still had trouble doing it. omg i want to cry when i saw he could of used that the whole time, he 1st he took an x ray and then place a penny where he thought it was then he stuck me did this a couple times. then finally when i was about to say lets give up he said lets try this omg i was so pissed he didnt do that from the beging ,

My Fills Are Done Without Lidocaine And Definitely Without A Fluoroscope. My Third Fill Was The Worst Due To Fact My Port Was Sitting Sideways Because I Had Lost Weight, My Dr. Could Not Get In The Port, After About Ten Pokes, He Decides To Use Lidocaine And Finds The Port Right After That. My Last Fill (4th) Was The Best And Was Done By My New Dr. Who Seems Alot More Experienced In The Fills Department. Sure Am Glad I Got Him Because He Has Given Me The Restriction I've Needed Since My Surgery.

im very happy you found finally have the restriction you wanted as for lidicane i dont think it would of help at all in my situation, and i feel bad your doctor doesn't use a flor wut ever its called. x ray because then you dont know if your really getting a fill well thats wut some 1 else told me