Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommendations

Donna there are several of us on here that have had it done with UHC through Wachovia. As a whole UHC is very good at covering the band. One of the few.

Good Luck Girl keep us posted on your steps...we are all here for you.

Kim & Jill that is great, I can hardly wait to get this process going. Thank you both for the information. Actually maybe you can tell me one more thing..From start to finsih about how long does the whold process take?

Hi Donna,

Read through a bunch of threads here on LapBandTalk, but do yourself a favor, don't stay on the "complications" threads for too long. They'll freak you out unnecissarily. Yes, complications DO occur and it IS a good idea to understand what they may be, but try to remember that complications with the lapband are actually quite low - my doctor has a fewer than 1% rate of complications - and when complications do occur, they are usually minor and can be counteracted, and even with severe complications (really, really rare) the band is completely reversible. There have been virtually no deaths attributed to the lapband.

Another thing to remember when reading the the posts on LapBandTalk is that most of the people here are new to the process, like you, or are new to the band. The longtime residents here, spend most of their time looking in the lounge (area for off topic discussions) or are having problems that they need to talk about - which means you'll see a disproportionate number of complications here, and on any lapband support message board. The average successful lapbander doesn't spend as much time posting about it as the ones who are having problems.

Having said that, I'll tell you I spent hours reading the complications threads! LOL Scared the pee out of me! I almost talked myself out of WLS because I did that! Happily, I went forward with my plan and was banded on March 7, 2006. I haven't experienced any complications - though I did have one bad stick/vomit (also known as a PB) incident (scrambled eggs are from the devil! :) ) and have lost 43 pounds so far.

An adjustible gastric band is not a magic cure. You still have to diet and exercise. The big difference is that the band keeps you from completely blowing it and giving up after a few weeks. It keeps any binges to a minimum. It helps you to recognize when you're overeating, and it keeps you from scarfing your food so fast you don't know when you're actually full. You can do those things, but you will regret it and you'll be less likely to do it again once you've experienced the dreaded PB/Golfball.

Good luck in your research, and on your weight loss journey. Let us know how it's going.

P.S. I had United Healthcare several years ago - they're great about covering stuff other insurance won't.

Thank you for the information and the encouragement, and Congrats on your weight loss that is fantastic. I can't believe how much information I have gotten today just from posting once. Every time someone responds I get more anxious to get the ball rolling.

Thanks Again...And keep up the good wrok

Donna

dterenzi

Personally, it took me 6 months from start to finish.

By that I mean, I went to two differnt seminars, (presby and Dr B's)

Then I signed up to meet with Dr B

Then I went to my PCP to get blood work done

Then more blood work (I forgot to get something drawn)

Then more blood work. (Lab lost sample ) :)

Then psychological exam... and wait and wait for results

Then the results of my H Pylori test was positive, so I had to take antibiotics for 2 wks, then wait 2 wks and be tested again tomake sure it was gone.

Then, submit everything to insurance, their turn around was 5 days.

Then Dr B scheduled me for 8-15

So from my first seminar to my schedule date, approx 6 months.

Not to bad in my opnion.

And I drug my feet. I am scared of surgery, et al.

Donna-Welcome-I'm in Wesley Chapel. If you'd like to get together and talk PM me I'd be more than happy too meet up with you.

The first thing I did was went to my PCP in Monroe Dr Johns and talked to her about it.

2. Called insurance company

3.Went to general seminar and learned about all the surgeries

4. Filled out the paper work and sent it into the Surgeons office (I believe this is common with most all of the Dr.s )

5.Get all Blood work done and chest X-Ray

6. Phyc eval (I have a name of someone who is wonderful and has had WLS! She's been there done that and totally understands the feelings your going through)

7.Nutritionist evaluation, great! I learned more what my life would be like, plus insurance and Dr.s want you to see them.

8.Exercise Evaluation-She gives you ideas of what to do before the surgery and after. She also sends a report to the Dr.

I had to write a letter to the Dr. to tell him why I thought I was ready for WLS.

After he recieved my information the office called me for a consultation. At that point he told me of anymore tests he though I'd need. Once all the pre-op is done then the Dr.s office sends a packet to the insurance company for approval.

I have lost over 70 pounds in 10 months. I'm thrilled with my choice. I have had a wonderful time clothes shopping and enjoying my new life. I still have a way to go, but the difference with this weight loss is that when I left the 200's it was for good not temporary.

Pros and cons there are some but it is the safest WLS out there. If you look at the band and it's history in Eroupe over the past 10 yrs you will see that it is the most common surgery now for WL. I'm sure the US will also have the band leading for WLS in a few yrs, it makes sense when it comes to me when it comes to safety.

We have get togethers once a month with the locals. Sept 9th is our next meeting, your more than welcome to join us. I know that Dr.V has seminars monthly with general information and does Dr.B. Kim can let you know on here when Dr V's next seminar is.

I went to the seminar last May. Saw Dr.V the end of June got approval mid June had surgery Sept 26th. But it took my brain a lot longer than that..Found out about the band August 2004 it wasn't until January 2005 that I really started thinking seriously about it. In March I began my baby steps. This is not anything to rush into. You have to be ready mentally and physically.

Good luck, I love my band and I'd do it again in a heart beat!

It is my understanding that UHC is the easiest company from which to gain approval.

You might also want to do some reading at

www.bariatriceating.com

There are people there with all kinds of surgeries and the pinned topics at the top of each forum have good basic info about a lot of thing relating to all of them.

Well, I have come to my first stop in the road and I'm not sure what to do now, My husband called United Health Care and he was told that they do not cover any WLS. I was so hoping that our Insurance wouldn't be a problem. I'm sorry Just venting!

Its probably not UHC but an employer that excludes WLS. UHC usually pays for the band. I was approved in 3 weeks.

Yup, I have UHC, thru Wachovia. I was approved in record time of 3 days.

I would call your HR dept and see if they have any riders that state if you tell HR you need it, they can get UHC to cover it.

At this point I am willing to try any and all sugestions that anyone has. Thanks so much and I will call my husband now.

Hey Donna it is more then likely the employer excluding the policy. I too had UHC and was approved in just 24 hours also through Wachovia.

Call them back and ask them if they cover CPT codes 43770 which is the lap band or 43644 which is the RNY Gastric By-pass. Sometimes the customer service people don't always get things right. :mad:

Good Luck...keep us posted!!!

Hey Kim~ We just got back from the seminar learned a lot too. My husband did excatly what they said most people do, now we know about the codes, so he will be calling the insurance company back tomorrow. I also have a appointment on Sept 22 with Dr. Voellinger, Whewww Hooooo.

Anyway....I was reading about the fire at your cousins house. My husband and I would like to help out in any way we can, let me know what is needed. Our hearts go out to them all.

Donna