Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Handles Problems Post-Op If Sx Is Done In Mexico?

Did anybody ever ask the question (I'm sure we all have) of the Mexico places - if you have a complication post op, will they handle it? What happens if you need to be readmitted for any reason? Would they do it in Mexico?

I live in So CA so TJ is considered "local" so I could go back for any problems, but just wondering what answers anybody else has gotten? My insurance won't cover me here in the U.S. if I have a complication and I want it spelled out for me what to do if I have one from a mexico surgery...

That's a good question, one I didn't have to find an answer too. My PCP did all the follow up like lab works etc. He said that he knew of others who had it done "some where else" and that a local bariatirc surgeon in the area would "inherit" the case for you for a nominal sum like $2000. As I said I luckily never had to avail myself of their services.

Being fairly remote from MX going back was just not going to happen. Maybe one of the places you are considering can answer it more accurately.

There is some sort of insurance you can pay for that supposedly covers complications in a case like this. I can't remember the name of it, hopefully someone will chime in here and know what it's called and where to get it.

Ask the surgeon's office that you are considering. I know my surgeon in Mexicali would treat any post-op complications but I'm 6 hours away, so my PCP agreed to do routine aftercare and I had no complications. It you are local to TJ, there should be no reason for you NOT to go back to your surgeon other than they don't care to see you after your surgery is done. Ask about complication costs, too--sometimes the surgeon will treat you for free but the hospital charges you for extra days, tests, etc.

Well it depends on what kind of complications you're talking about. If you need an endoscopic procedure, pretty much any gastroenterologist can handle that. If you need a repeat surgery, you can go to the ED and they will find a surgeon who can handle your case, and you'll have to figure out what to do about the bill afterwards. Minor complications could be handled by any internist or family practitioner.

Yeah, my surgeon told me that a lot of doctors don't look kindly on having to treat someone who didn't go to them for primary treatment. Basically it's a "we weren't good enough in the first place and now you want us to help you" sort of deal. It it was something like a leak, you would probably have to go to the emergency room because then a doctor is forced to see you. Also, I don't think your insurance would be obligated to pay for any problems related to the surgery since they didn't cover it in the first place and you went out of the country for it. I'm not sure about the last part, though.

Oh nothing is covered under insurance if you self pay, as far as complications go. I am close to TJ so would likely go there. My GP won't help much because she does not believe in weight loss surgery. Sigh.

I checked my insurance policy, and they very clearly exclude any complications arising from elective surgeries. They would call a VSG elective. But every policy is different, you'll have to check your individual policy.

You know, I don't think most American primary care physicians look down on people who go abroad for surgery. Many understand that health care is just too expensive in the US and that it makes financial sense to go abroad for care. Most doctors aren't going to hold it against you. Even if they think it was a stupid thing you did, they treat the medical consequences of stupid decisions every day, and if they let that ruin their day they'd never have a good day!

My ins co specifically excludes complications from bariatric surgery. Because I do live far away from my surgeon, I did purchase their supplemental policy to cover complications - should you need anything, they pay all your expenses including airfare to go back. The peace of mind is worth it for me. I bought it so I wouldn't need it :)

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Where did you get this supplemental insurance? Can you post more info on it? I have not been able to find any.

Delby,, the only Dr that I've seen to offer this, is Dr Joya in Puerto Vallerta

Delby,, the only Dr that I've seen to offer this, is Dr Joya in Puerto Vallerta, he charges 9k for the same surgery, but you have a week in Mexico, kind of a mini vaca

I asked Dr. Kelly that question, the answer was "We do surgery, and rarely have complications, we learn from our past mistakes and do not forsee any complications at all, if however there are complications it all depends on the type of complication. For example if you need a blood transfusion you would only pay for the blood, if you need more treatment after surgery you would only pay for extended hospital stay if needed but not for the surgeon nor the team, those will be covered by us (Dr. Kelly)." I also asked what if you wanted to come for your year follow up to do the exam with contrast, they said you would pay for the cost of the exam which is ~$100 but that is it. Delby I think since you are so close Dr. Kelly would work with you if anything should arise, but I honestly don't think anything will. I have called several surgeon offices here in the US (in Texas) and the reply to the same questions where almost the same, if you have to stay in the hospital longer you have to pay the stay and any treatment above and beyond the basics that came covered with your fees (and those charges are a lot higher than in Mexico).

That's essentially what I've been told by Dr. Kelly as well as Anaid. In all honesty, the #1 reason I'm even considering Mexico is because of my experience when calling around to local places here in So Cal. I feel like a number and unimportant at the drs here, but the ones in Mexico have all been GREAT! Which is why it's been a tough decision!! ( picking a doctor, I mean) Even when they say that I can do my follow ups in Mexico, they say "well it might cost $150" and I'm like, "Dude that is GREAT! " I can't get that kind of attention and care here in the US.

LOL no kidding, here they do include follow ups for a year with most of the surgeries but they do not include the exams only the surgeon looking at you for a for a few minutes or such. but even if $150 that is a whole lot less than what the cost here is and you will get better more personalized care.