Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Concerned About What I'm Leaving Behind!

Ok so im ready to go, got my money, pretty sure what doctor I'm going to use in Mexico and mentally ready except for this: I cant help but wonder what life will be like without certain things such as drinking a beer, your morning bagel, eating a nice dinner out with my wife and drinking a nice glass of iced tea WITH my meal! I realize i will still be able to do most of the SOMEWHAT, but it will be different! Can anyone help me with this? I cant imagine a cracker being my entire meal or taking an hour to drink a beer,if at all! I cant mentally stop thinking about it!

it can be tough. many like me really came to a crossroads where obesity was threatening our health so I came to the conclusion that I HAD to give up my precious food.

As with anything after a while it becomes habit, just lie over eating did. Unless you have serious food related psych problems - which is what the psych eval is supposed to weed out - the lost weight, freedom of a slimmer lifestyle and increased energy and health more than make up for it. I know it does for me.

We wish you the best no matter what you decide to do.

Ok so im ready to go, got my money, pretty sure what doctor I'm going to use in Mexico and mentally ready except for this: I cant help but wonder what life will be like without certain things such as drinking a beer, your morning bagel, eating a nice dinner out with my wife and drinking a nice glass of iced tea WITH my meal! I realize i will still be able to do most of the SOMEWHAT, but it will be different! Can anyone help me with this? I cant imagine a cracker being my entire meal or taking an hour to drink a beer,if at all! I cant mentally stop thinking about it!

You life will change but is for good. In this life you need to do some little sacrifices to have benefits. As time passes by,you will feel better after surgery and of course you will be able to eat more,not like you used to before of course. You can still have your beer here and there in moderation. Is not like you have to give up to all the things you used to love prior surgery,is about making better choices. Stay positive,you are making the best decision ever to live longer for you and your family!! Good luck!!

Why is the BEER so important to you? What about your health? Your wife and kids? What about a better quality of life where you have more energy and feel good about how you look? Do you want to live a healthy life? These are questions I was asking myself, only I'm coming from a wife's perspective. Now I'm watching my hubby struggle with his diabetes and him not wanting to eat less food. I think he would benefit from the surgery himself. But, I want to live to play with my grand children. Food is here for what 20 to 30 minutes and then I felt guilty because I ate it! I want a happy existence, and by the way, I was diagnosed with diabetes and I was scared to death of the neuropathy, poor circulation, etc. So Here I am loving my new hot body. Ask yourself why food is so important to you. Especially that beer. You will still be able to have beer, just less of it. ;)

I completely agree with u! Its just the fact that i will never be able to drink beer again... Knowing u cant do something again scares me a little thats all!

You can drink beer. You can eat fried chicken. You can do all the things you did before, just in significant moderation. Remember, all of those things that you are mourning are all of the things that got you to this current state. You may read this forum and notice how seriously we take our diets (some more than others obviously), but it is because we have committed ourselves to a lifestyle change. Everyone has a different motive. Family, job, self, money, greed, envy, health..... you name it, you'll find it here.

This is a permanent change, do not take it lightly because it will take you on an emotional rollercoaster.

Best wishes.

Hi, Dizzle.... I understand what you mean. One thing will be that when you do end up being able to have some beer, you'll have to drink less anyway, because you will get drunk on a very small amount! Lol. Initially, I'm sure you know not to even sip it after surgery as the yeast will produce gas and bloating and cause severe pain. My surgery is on March 28th. Today I have to start the liquid diet. I found myself weepy and emotional last night. I'm not sure why - fear over failing? Grieving a lifestyle I'm leaving? I really don't know. Hang in there. Emotionally, I feel better today than yesterday. Your feelings will come and go as you progress towards your surgery, I think. I imagine after some required seminars and knowledge acquisition you will mentally become more ready, but will still have times of worry or discouragement. The fear of the unknown can be difficult and I think it's normal to grieve the loss of what you've always known, and enjoyed. :-) don't forget that your taste changes after surgery. The thought of tasting beer may end up not being very appealing for quite a long time. I think the quickly drunken state will also help. Lol. Maybe I was way too wordy here, but just wanted to encourage you.

First off, I think what you are feeling/thinking is completely normal!! Those habits we've created are like a child's security blanket in a lot of ways. I was more nervous about all of the little things than the actual surgery... and I think I was actually nervous about the surgery but projecting it onto the little things that were easier to worry about.

As for the beer... I was similar to you. I had my surgery when I was 20, and I just turned 21. I kept thinking "what if I can't *really* Celebrate my 21st birthday because I can't drink??". Did I really care about drinking? No, not really. But I didn't want to feel like I was losing something. I asked my surgeon specifically if alcohol was allowed and at what stage. He said I would be fine for my birthday (which was at the 5 month mark) but to be careful because... it hits you soooo much stronger and more quickly then it normally would. So you may be bummed that it will take you an hour to drink that beer, but guess what? It'll feel like you had more than one for sure! Please be careful though that you don't create a cross-over addiction. I am not saying you will, but just be aware :)

I ended up not missing my drink and food at the same time, but now that I'm 6 months out I do occasionally have some liquids while I eat, but generally it isn't that much at all. Eventually you'll find a groove that works for you. The first couple months are the hardest because you are the most restricted. But at the same time, it is all mental and not physical cravings, which is a little easier than dealing with both at the same time.

Overall it is a huge difference, but you seriously don't feel deprived. You have a few bites of food and you feel like you pigged out during thanksgiving. It IS satisfying because you feel good AND know that you didn't overeat... it is amazing really, especially once you pass the 3, 4 month mark.

Good luck and keep us updated!

My head hunger was bad for the first 2 weeks. My family was reminding me that in 6 months to a year I can eat anything I wanted to but just in smaller portions. It is hard, but so is carrying all that weight and being obese and having your life cut short. You can have your bagel or beer, just in smaller portions. This tool doesn't restrict what I eat, it restricts how much I eat and that's where my problem was, I never went by serving size, I went by stuffed size lol. I understand your mourning, but your foods will come back, you can just break your portions into more servings throughout the week :)

All of these things come back to you. Just smaller. I enjoyed dinner out with my family last night. I just separated roughly 4 oz of food, and slowly ate it and asked for a box. You get used to not drinking with the meal. Drink some before you order and while you're waiting, then push it aside.

It's better to do these things on your OWN terms now. Imagine if you were forced to do these restrictions against your will due to some grave illness brought on by weight or even something worse. Just start imagining the success right now, and the different lifestyle right now so it won't be such a shock when it happens. It's good. It's good. You won't regret it.

You guys are all amazing and all have wonderful advice, thank you! I guess what im going thru now is just plain being scared! Thats the only way to describe it. Its like a rollercoaster, oneday im excited to do it and the next im terrified! It makes me feel better knowing im not the only who feels like this. Thanks again!